Stimulus payment question - 2019 taxes filed after payment received

I received my <$100 check using 2018 taxes. But my 2019 are finally filed and actually had a $15k lower AGI (so, about $700 less phaseout)…

I thought we’d get the rest if 2019 was lower, but it wasn’t in the HR Block software, anyways… Anyone know how this works? Automatically updates?

Edit:Why the Economic Impact Payment amount could be different than anticipated | Internal Revenue Service

Looks like it will be 2020 tax filing and I should be able to get the difference then?

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Why would it be in the 2019 return software? It’s a 2020 credit.

5 Likes

Because I’m dumb, and had been assuming it was a 2019 credit since it’s supposed to be based on 2019 income level. deletes thread

4 Likes

In my case, it was reverse 2018 income was much lower than 2019. so I didn’t file till today.

Hope they don’t do a takeback/adjustment in 2020?

Well played.

According to my best understanding, there will be no clawback. You received your stimulus payment and you keep it.

3 Likes

Great, we were hoping the 2nd payment would be released by 10/15 but oh well… For once the later bird got the worm!

1 Like

Kudos to those who had a 2019 return that was worse from a stimulus perspective than 2018 and held off filing as long as possible, there is no clawback function for this stimulus.

Even though I filed in Feb 2020 for 2019, IRS did not use my 2019 return (which was better for stimulus than 2018 return) so I have to wait until filing in early 2021 for 2020 to get any difference I am owed. I don’t know if the expected second stimulus would be any better (in using the 2019 return). Such nonsense.

1 Like

Yeah I wanted to wait out for stimulus II but didn’t want to deal with late penalties