Student loan defaults rising

Great point about subsidized vs. unsubsidized loans. I thought that even some unsubsidized loans had a 6 month grace period but then looking closely, interest accrues for those during the grace period so it’s moot.

So the only realistic law preempting possibility would be if you are granted subsidized loans since you’re unlikely to earn risk-free after-tax 7+% on the float otherwise.

I believe subsidized (and very likely unsubsidized) loans have a 1% origination fee so make sure to factor that into your cost, even if you do pay it off before interest starts accruing.

1 Like

I had an uncle that maximized every benefit that he could. He had GI Bill, grants, scholarships, etc. School was paid for 200%. He took the extra money and student loans (only subsidized) and started flipping houses. He would live in the house while fixing it up and would have a roommate or two, as well. He flipped one per year, sophmore through senior years.

Basically, the roommates covered the living expenses, so school and living were free, then the flipping was pure profit.

3 Likes

I once got an A- with 92.99%. It was on a curve where 93% was an A. It really sucks to miss the target by so little.

To the tune of about $12k over four years…