Suggestions and feedback

I’m not sure why, but I can’t receive any emails from the site. I spent about 10 days trying to figure it out, creating a second email address, trying to register from a vpn ip, and an ip out of the country, but continually failed. Finally, I created a throw away email address and that worked.

I’ve tried to edit my account settings to reflect my real email address, but have yet to get any email. Spam assassin is turned way down, but nothing.

All suggestions appreciated?

Is it possible to add tags to posts and a tag cloud or search by tag?

If not, at least this software allows OP to move the whole thread to most appropriate subforum - let’s set up a bunch of second level subforums within Finance.

1 Like

Tags are a built-in function so they would just need to be enabled by the admins. Not sure about tag clouds but I imagine once they’re enabled it’s possible to search by them.
If required to pick between tags and second level forums I’d definitely go with tags. Second level forums are a little too forceful of a separation in my opinion.

Thanks.
@thefdadmin can we have it turned on?

It is only my second time visiting and I have not really looked around much yet.
However, here are some of my initial suggestions:

A. I would put the name of the site, Fragile Deal, somewhere in the page template, at the top.

I came here tonight from a link on the other other place (not the SD “other place”), then I had to leave my computer for a while, came back to it later and saw “Discourse” at the top of the screen and didn’t know what this was (it has been maybe a week since my only other visit to this site, which was a brief one).

Actually, though, I can see where not identifying the site visibly (except for the web address in the address bar) might be convenient for people who try to read it at work or who might want to keep private what site they are reading in a public situation.

It’s just that as far as branding, name recognition, creating a distinct user experience, developing an image, etc. – putting the name somewhere would contribute to that.

B. I agree with the suggestion of using shading/alternate colors to demarcate one post from the next. All this white – it’s too much white.

C. I do like the width of the comments area – it’s a good width and height for each individual post.
(As compared to the other other site where the comments are currently 16.5 inches wide on my 19-inch-horizontal screen.)

D. I don’t like the heart symbol for up-voting.

I don’t think a heart (=love/affection) accurately conveys the varied motivations for approving of a fatwallet-style post, the reasons for which could include: “that’s funny”, “that’s true”, “that had to be said”, “you are a nut”, “I agree”, “gosh, I never knew that”, “this will save me time”, “this will save me money”, “oh, this will tick off someone whom I want to see get ticked off”, etc.

I really dislike the thumbs-up symbol to mean a “like”, but an arrow would be okay. I suppose a plus sign would be fine too.

E. I would like to see a way to down-vote as well as up-vote. Not allowing down-votes gives only half of the picture regarding readers’ responses.

F. I don’t like constant scrolling and would like a way to have pagination

G. The way to quote another person’s post is not straightforward the first time one is trying to figure that out, and I’d prefer to have a “reply by quoting this comment” button next to the “reply (with no quote)” button.

That said, however, the current quoting method (which makes it pretty easy to choose just a small part of the post that is being quoted from) should cut down A LOT on the mindless repetition of very long posts (in quotes) that would happen on FW, particularly in Finance, when people just wanted to indicate that they were responding to a particular poster and didn’t actually need to repeat any of what the quoted post had contained.

So maybe I like the current quoting method. I’ll have to try it again.

Addendum:
When I first typed out this post, I used numbers 1 to 7 instead of letters A to G.

In my composing window, they showed up as numbers 1 to 7.
However, after I submitted my post, the site reformatted my points and they were numbered 1, 2, 3 then 1, 2, 3, etc.
When I pressed “edit” to come back and fix that, in the editing window, the numbered points still showed up as 1 to 7. So something weird might be happening to a numbered “bullet-point” section when a post is published by the software (and it shows up in the thread) that the editor of the post can’t prevent on his/her side of things.
I changed my points to be lettered A to G instead of numbered 1 to 7, and the letters are showing up fine.

1 Like

I just noticed that someone had posted a thread in the Off Topic subforum asking for the site’s name/logo to be at the top of the page:

2 Likes

That was me… I didn’t know there was a thread for “fixin’” or adding things to the forums…

Hi,

I use the desktop version of this site, not mobile or tablet. Firefox and Chrome.
When I want to quote a reply, I click the reply button, then try to click the “quotes” icon in the message composer window. It does nothing.

The only way I can find to quote a reply is to select the whole thing before hitting the Reply button, which is a pain. I would prefer to just click the “quote” button and have the whole thing pasted into my message.

Is there a way to quote the entire message (or nested messages) without selecting them all?

One more piece of feedback: The javascript on this site is capturing Control-F (“search for text” on desktop browsers) and forcing us to use the site search instead of the browser search. Sometimes I just want to do a very simple search on one page and not use the whole site search.

I can get around this with a addin on Firefox but haven’t figured out how to do it on Chrome.

1 Like

Press Ctrl-F twice.

4 Likes

Thanks! Very useful!

I’d like to see topic alerts via email be an option if available?

Thx!

You might try either the Activity Summary or Mailing List Mode under Settings->Preferences->Emails. Settings is the gear when you click your icon on the top right.

1 Like

So I have a deal that’s been marked dead but I just bought the item. I can’t access the page anymore to bump it. Any reason we can’t see dead deals?

This is the Moto g4 at Walmart for $89.

Thanks but I checked there and didn’t see a way of adding a “topic” or subject alert so to speak, but saw what you referenced.

Might be something they can add later or enhance if it’s buried…

Thx!

Thank you so much. I was resorting to Alt-E F - a combo that I haven’t had to hit in years … and it showed. :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve noticed it’s getting difficult to navigate the site using my phone. For threads that have 200 or more posts, I have to keep scrolling to get to the last post.

I suggest forming subfora for particular topics of interest. Based on replies and views, Manufactured Spending is one those topics that can generate a lot of discussions; there’s other topics that can get too long that it becomes difficult to follow.

I don’t seem to get notifications of some new topics. They don’t always show under “New” or “Unread.”

I’ve got one suggestion, one question which may turn into a suggestion, and feedback to lead it off

I thoroughly enjoy this site, and despite the differences from FW in the forum software, am slowly adjusting to it. Thank you for finding a domain, purchasing hosting and bandwidth, managing the software, and doing all of the other things that I’m unaware of. It is something I look forward to looking at each day.

My suggestion is to to create a forum for Suggestions and Feedback so that we can close a thread once a suggestion is dealt with (either shot down, enacted, or work-a-round explained). I re-read this entire post to see if my next question was already mentioned.

Can someone explain how to quote more than one level deep? Currently, I can only figure out how to quote one level. [edited to remove unintelligible description] Okay, let’s try this:

This quote was taken from upthread and is xerty quoting, and responding to, jokerzwild. However, it appears that xerty authored the entire quote. Hopefully this makes sense, and please let me know if it doesn’t.

Thanks.

1 Like

I too want to know how others are doing nested quotes. The only way I found is to manually copy each quote from the original message, and paste one inside the other in the Reply window. But this is time consuming and I’m pretty sure other users aren’t doing this extra work.

1 Like