Tax changes / proposals - discussion

look again

Well, considering sheā€™s not an intellectual, I would claim that her meteoric rise has nothing to do with anything she said. But if I were interested in her meteoric rise, I would absolutely take an unbiased look at what is going on in our society to see what led to her rise.

Lol at saying Elizabeth Warrenā€™s ā€œfameā€ is some sort of meteoric rise. A quarter of the county that had never heard of her, knows her only as fake Pocahontas. Not only that, she and her supporters had to SPEND $42 million for her to become famous. I think that might be more of a factor than any of the stuff she said.

1 Like

Iā€™d hazard a guess that more of the country knows who Elizabeth Warren is than Jordan Peterson

And youā€™re ignoring the fact that someones fame level has nothing to do with the merit of their ideas.

Kim. Kardashian.
Anyone Kardashian.
Kyle Jenner. ā€¦ etc

1 Like

No, you look again.

Most Read vs. Most Sold

You think its more important that the book is bought than actually read ?

1 Like

I never said that more of the country knew who he was. Iā€™m simply pointing out that less than 2 years ago, he was a professor at a toronto university and that no one outside of that school or the evolutionary biology circles knew who he was. Now heā€™s got millions of views on youtube, international TV appearances, and the best selling non-fiction book at the largest bookseller in the world. And that rise happened completely organically just because of a few things he had to say about society, the academy, and the law.

How am I ignoring facts that fame often has nothing to do with ideas when I said exactly that above in my reply to you about Kim Kardashian.

The point is, Jordan Peterson is nothing but his ideas. That is the reason he is famous. Thatā€™s not the case for Tiger Woods or Harvey Weinstein, but it is for him.

1 Like

You think a quarter of the country (US or Canada) has any idea who Jordan Peterson is??? I doubt 1% of the country has heard of him.

1 Like
  1. I have no idea how amazon knows if someone read a book, but I trust they know how much they are selling, so I put more faith in the latter. Iā€™m old enough to remember when book importance was judged by the NY Times Best SELLERS list.
  2. Itā€™s #2 on most read. Itā€™s not like itā€™s #1 on most sold and #25 on best read.

Are you really claiming its not a significant achievement? Is this just because you never heard of him?

Itā€™s an achievement thatā€™s relatively unrelated to the veracity of his claims or value of his ideas.

3 Likes

Itā€™s all relative. Professor to #1 best seller in 2 years. There arenā€™t many people you can say that about.

Kindle. Audible. big data.

2 Likes

In 2008 Elizabeth Warren was a little known professor. By 2011 she was head of the CFPB a national agency. By 2012 she was a US Senator. Now sheā€™s on the list of possible 2020 presidential candidate

I think that kinda outpaces a guy who wrote a #1 selling book.

2 Likes

I disagree. What do you think itā€™s related to?

She had to spend $42 million to become a household (in New England) name. She then became a household name elsewhere (but is roundly hated by probably 1/4 of the people that know her).

How much did JP have to spend to become famous? How many people hate him with a passion?

1 Like

SO by this logic :

Firre & Fury was a #1 best selling book. Therefore ā€¦ this adds weigh to the veracity of the authors claims or value of his ideas.

3 Likes

Are you familiar with our current political system?

2 Likes

Itā€™s mostly related to how strongly a small group of people agree with his ideas. This is all echo chamber stuff.

3 Likes

Good misdirection.

You said you didnā€™t know how Amazon could tell who reads books.

They track Kindle usage primarily. This gives them a simple and statistically valid measure of which books that are sold are actually read. Their big data is looking over everyones shoulder 24/7/365

Not a misdirection at all.

1 Like

Kindle!=Print Books
Iā€™m sure they extrapolate and come reasonably close, but itā€™s still no where near as accurate as sales numbers.

The misdirection comment was in reference to you glossing over my point about how popular the book is (#2 most read). Iā€™m honestly surprised. Youā€™re usually pretty good at admitting when someone knows something you didnā€™t. For some reason when I pointed out how he had the best selling book and you didnā€™t believe me, you didnā€™t admit you were wrong after I proved it.

Also, you not answering the question at the bottom of the post.