Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

For someone that can’t qualify for $7,500 tax credit, then used Model S may be better option than to wait another year. But in my case, my status shows March to May 2018 delivery. So will get brand new Model 3 and take $7,500 tax credit.

The full rebate MUST go to the end of June since it’s good for the rest of the quarter AND the following quarter once they reach 200k. If they do not hit 200k by 31 March 2018, the full rebate will go until at least 30 Sep 2018.
Right now my reservation shows Aug-Oct so not sure if I’ll get the full rebate or not. Let’s hope everyone stops buying the S and X models for awhile :wink: The problem I have with the used model S is that they do not have the self driving capability and that’s a must for any new car for me. I think they did a major change in 2015/2016 so anything older than that won’t have autonomous.

2 Likes

Jaguar’s New Electric SUV Cheaper Than Teslas

$10,000 cheaper than the base level Model X, and even $5,000 less than the most affordable Model S. It’s an aggressive, competitive price when you consider that the I-Pace has 240 miles of range, all-wheel drive, DC fast charging, and a slick infotainment system.

The $69,500 sticker price is before any federal or state incentives are figured in. Depending on where you live in the US, you could theoretically combine the $7,500 federal EV tax credit with whatever your state offers for an eventual deduction of up to $10,000.

Jaguar SUV

Does it come with free super charging?

Dunno. I merely posted some of the press release.

Everybody calls it by different labels, is “super charging” 220v ?

No, it is 480v.

‘DC fast charging’, as mentioned in my OP, is 480v 3-Phase AC input.

I prefer to reference as 110v, 220v, and 480v, that way it’s all clear.

Does it come with a supercharging network so that you can do a cross country travel?

It’s great that Jaguar is coming out with a less expensive EV, but I still prefer to stick with Tesla simply because of supercharging stations.

How many cross county trips do you plan to do in your Tesla? I have a ice and haven’t driven it outside the la metro area in the past 8 years.

1 Like

Dunno.

I wasn’t recommending the Jag, I just pasted the announcement. Although, given that Musk made a lot of his designs open source, including the charging system, in an attempt to create a standard, a manufacturer would be smart to just use his, and they could plug-in and charge for free anywhere. The “supercharging” aspect was already asked and answered.

No but neither does the model 3 or model s.

Actually, the model S and X do come with free supercharging, through April.

If I had free supercharging, I would use that for as much of my charging as possible. Not just for trips. That is highly dependent upon proximity, but there is one on the way home from work for me.

No one going to pile on all the terrible news recently?

Whether people want to admit it or not, tesla is in an unfavorable financial position. At this point dilution isn’t a question of ‘if’, but ‘how much’. They may be worth a 100 trillion dollars if they make it through but it’s going to be a tough 18 months.

Every time I brought that stuff up in the old thread, the fanboys would say it didn’t matter, and according to the stock price, they were usually right. That might not be the case now, but who the hell knows. I mostly stick to pointing out production delays since @TeslaModel3 is confident he’ll be getting his car any day now (originally thought he would get it last year lol).

[/quote]
@TeslaModel3 is confident he’ll be getting his car any day now (originally thought he would get it last year lol).
[/quote]

Just checked. It still says March to May 2018 :slight_smile: It’s a higher priority for me to get $7,500 credit rather than getting it as soon as possible. Remeber, I am still enjoying my X3.

It’s okay for me, I locked in profit to buy 2 of Model 3. But I am definitely tempted to buy some Tesla shares this week… Will keep my eye on it and pull the trigger soon.

It’s not just about doing a cross country…it’s about having the capability to do a cross country drive if I wanted to do so. Even if I want to travel from Seattle to San Diego, I rather drive Tesla than any other EVs since Supercharging matters.

When it comes to Tesla’s prospects going forward there are some very unfavorable views out there. Case in point, this very strong opinion:

Tesla’s viability challenged

2 Likes

If I had the money to risk long term, I would probably short them. But I learned my lesson doing what I did last year with just a few bucks (bought short options that expired in a few months) because short term, there is no telling where Tesla stock is going.

But I agree with that fund manager. Their stock price and valuation makes zero sense.

Since when does it matter what your reservation says? They told you your original reservation for a regular battery was Jan - March back in September 2017. Then they said regular battery models won’t be ready until “late” 2018, so you decided you don’t want a regular battery anymore so you can get the March-May delivery. That was mid February. March is over. Did they deliver 1/3rd of the first production 310 mile range RWD models yet? Shouldn’t you have been in that first 1/3rd?