Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

$1k that’s fully refundable is a good ‘protest vote’ against things like blocking direct sales and stuff.

I think they’re trying to figure out how many of the 400k orders are real, and how many are people who thought they’d buy a $35k car and flip it for profit.

2 Likes

Buying to flip is still a real order for one.

What does the secondary market look like for Model 3s right now? If the people that put down deposits figured they would make $10k with no work, but it turns out if they follow through with it now, they will only make $3k plus work, a bunch of those deposits aren’t going to become buyers. I think that was @Stubtify 's point

Hi Meed,

Happy Tesla 5K Day! My Tesla call options I bought on last Friday closing is paying off big time!

1 Like

Yeah. The car is not the car that many people signed up for with their $1k deposit.

The $7500 credit will likely be halved,
The price of the car is nearly 20k higher than listed

In this massive bait & switch Tesla is just trying to figure out how many of these they actually have to make. Hopeful I bet that the majority of those deposits aren’t firm orders.

1 Like

Might as well keep riding that wave. I don’t blame you one bit.

1 Like

1 Like

Sold this morning since it was a quick 35% gain. Now, bought back around $331. Love short sellers finding an excuse to short this stock. Bad move if they think Tesla cannot sustain 5k production.

Seems like you have resentment for Tesla. It’s too bad you can only look at in a negative way. Everyone expected $7,500 credit to be halved starting Q3. So not sure why an old news is an issue to you. Also, price will come down to $35K starting Q1 of 2019. If you don’t want to support Tesla by purchasing the premium package and longer battery, you just have to wait another 6 months.

1 Like

Cool. I’ll walk everywhere for 6 more months while I wait. Good idea.

I’ll admit some people will wait if you’ll admit that there will be people who cancel their reservations due to the car not being the price they expected it.

1 Like

If you get an invitation to configure and want the $35k base model, do they let you configure it and then tell you it will be ready in January? Or do they tell you to wait until some future date when they will allow base model configurations to be submitted?

You click a selection to configure later and select your reason. Once $35K Model configuration is opened, then you will get another invitation to configure.

1 Like

If you can’t afford to have a car now, how are you going to afford $35K Model 3? Maybe you can walk 6 more months and save on gas to afford Model 3.

People can cancel or order Model 3 as they wish. The demand for Model 3 is very strong and once $35K comes in early 2019, the demand will be even higher. People who can’t wait are buying Bolt… but Bolt sells aren’t that hot. So it appears that many people are are either ordering premium version or waiting till next year. I am still holding onto my 2nd reservation for $35K Tesla Model 3.

My point wasn’t that I don’t have a car. My point was if you thought you were buying a $35k model 3 this year, and you cannot do so…what do you do? Rent a car for the rest of the year? Hold over your current lease? Ride the bus? walk?

Or cancel your reservation and buy a car that exists right now?

What would you do?

I see your point, but it only applies for people that have a lease or don’t have a car at all. If you already own a car, you just keep it a little longer.

1 Like

If I really want to buy $35K Model 3, the frugal way is to buy used Leaf and wait for Model 3. But if I just want to buy an ordinary EV, then I would buy new Leaf. But it’s matter of preference. I personally think it’s worth it and don’t mind driving my current car till the car is ready.

But why are you hanged up on $35k model? Is it because you don’t understand the importance of Tesla trying to sell higher margin cars at the present moment is critical for the company. Or is it that you simply don’t care and just want $35K Model 3 for your benefit only?

People who are buying right now, don’t mind supporting Tesla. Because of people buying right now, people who are on a tighter budget will be able to get $35k model in 2019 Q1. But some people are so selfish and their instant gratification is more important than supporting the company to establish a financial stability.

Question I would to ask you is what have you done to deserve $35K Tesla Model 3? After complaining all this time and if you buy $35K Model 3 next year, you will be a hypocrite.

I agree with you Meed! We can finally agree on something :wink:

1 Like

We understand the importance of them needing to sell higher margin cars (we know they are bleeding cash). We just take issue with Tesla making a bunch of claims about producing a $35k Model 3 by 1st Q 2018 when they had no intention of meeting that goal, but just wanted:

1. to get more people to pre-order and
    1. to get media coverage (free advertising)

This may turn out to be accurate. Buyers of the expensive version of the Model 3 may indeed be subsidizing the later buyers of the base version of the Model 3.

Umm, I’m not sure you realize what you are saying here. The people that want instant gratification are the early adopters, i.e. YOU. Are you calling yourself selfish?

Does someone have to talk nicely about a company in order to “deserve” their product? I thought all someone had to do to “deserve” a product was to pay for it.

1 Like

Tesla still lists the starting price of the car as $35,000. The reason I’m hung up on that number is because they keep using it. I didn’t pull the number out of thin air.

No established company that has to abide by the rules of standard business would be allowed to advertise a price of a car that doesn’t exist. From the marking standpoint I applaud Tesla’s ability to constantly move the goalposts and not get called out on it. There isn’t another car company on earth who could do that and still have people willing to pay them for the car. That’s either a testament to their design and manufacturing, a sign of the blind allegiance their followers have, or both.

Oh I don’t ‘deserve’ one? Damn that sucks. I thought we lived in a world where my money is just as green as yours. If I wanted one, I would go buy one. I don’t, so I won’t. I represent a very real part of the buying public, just as you do. The difference between us is that I can understand where someone as fanatical as you are is coming from–you seem to be unable to understand where I’m coming from.

2 Likes

meed18
If you get an invitation to configure and want the $35k base model, do they let you configure it and then tell you it will be ready in January? Or do they tell you to wait until some future date when they will allow base model configurations to be submit

TeslaModel34h
You click a selection to configure later and select your reason. Once $35K Model configuration is opened, then you will get another invitation to configure.

No, that’s not correct. That was the old message. You now have 4 options (normally 3-6 months delivery)

• Standard Battery < ‘greyed out’
  • RWD Enhanced Battery$49,000
  • Dual Motor AWD Enhanced Battery $53,000
  • Performance (2-4 months delivery) $64,000

You can’t even choose a standard battery vehicle at this point (with a message that says it will be 6-9 months).

2 Likes