Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

Cancelled my day one online reservation last Friday. Would’ve preferred a check but of course Tesla said that would take up to 50 business days to receive (not a typo).

Didn’t want pre-paid Visa card (lose out on credit card rewards, etc) so had to go with ACH bank transfer although I didn’t really want to share my bank info. Timeframe advised was 2-5 business days and today is biz day #5. Will give it until end of next week before I escalate.

Anyone else request a refund recently? What did the timing look like for ACH transfer?

I thought it was a refund back to a debit card, not a prepaid Visa card. Unless they are now sending out prepaid debit Visas (which you could cash out for 70 cents at Walmart). I cancelled on Wednesday and haven’t received the money yet.

Understood and agreed. Your best bet there, and I do this myself, is to have one or more “throwaway” accounts available to collect the funds. These are ACH-connected accounts you control but which most often contain only a buck. Free checking accounts are an example.

3 Likes

The user was last seen July 11th, so don’t count on any pics.

Odd. Why would @TeslaModel3 disappear?

Following his fearless leader, he’s decided to go private? :laughing:

4 Likes

To close the loop, I received my deposit back six days after I filed the refund request, so in due time. I still have the other reservation, but don’t know what I want to do with it.

1 Like
3 Likes

My mind on long-terms prospect of Tesla haven’t changed, the CEO’s wackiness doesn’t even count into it.

How much is insurance costing / yr on this?

Get this Model 3 at a discount. Few dents and scratches though. https://www.copart.com/lot/42378098?eid=email_US_mktg_reminder_32_DC_Washington_Featured

Anyone remember the movie “Gung Ho” starring Michael Keaton? https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/15/tesla-workers-in-ga4-tent-describe-pressure-to-make-model-3-goals.html

2 Likes

I have a distinct memory of it being on HBO heavy rotation during a summer in the mid 90s when I was in middle school. I definitely watched it at least a couple times. George Wendt played a good assembly line worker.

Sheesh! I think that is also when I bought my last suit. :blush:

2 Likes

Who’s in for a Cybertruck?

If it were available in January 2020 and only $20k and I’m in! But its targeted for late 2022 - >3 years (!) - and starts at over twice that price… (Im cheap and the new 2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV I purchased earlier this year ran under $19k + ttl… $20.9k including TTL)

I am actually going to be on the lookout for any crazy deals next year that include the $7500 tax credit, maybe with a <10k mi car trade in… Otherwise 10+ years again.

1 Like

I’m going to start looking into electrics, as our current car is going on 10 years. Looking at Honda’s retail pricing on the Clarity ($33k+), how did you do the above? Also, after owning it for a few months, any major gripes or unexpected upsides?

~$37k for Touring trim.

Honda mostly just ships these to California now. Mine was an '18 so it was on a lot for a while, and I didn’t purchase it in CA. It was $28.4k OTD and then $7500 federal tax credit.

Alternately I had a quote at 31k OTD for a '19 Touring I would have had to fly to CA and drive it back. $31k - $7500 = $23500 ($21.5+TTL). Honda had a mfr to dealer incentive that was $6k ($4k currently). Invoice -$6k - $1k = $29k + CA sales tax = $31-$32k.

Nothing unexpected at 3500 mi now. Maintenances looks like it might be higher than I would expect – I think it calls for break fluid 30k mi or something interval and oil changes are 12mo/10k mi. My 2010 Ford hybrid had no break fluid service and the oil changes were already 10k/12mo 10 years ago… and that was a “gas” powered hybrid vs this “electric” driven hybrid…

I have a trailer hitch and bike rack arriving this week Im planning ro install myself. Will require disassembly of rear bumper.

1 Like

Looking to get a used Leaf as a 2nd vehicle for daily commute. My research says it got very bad cooling design thus a lot of degradation issue so I’ll have to be careful but it might be fun too have get in electric @ under $10k.

2 Likes

Pricing looks similar for 2020’s (I haven’t looked for a quote yet), MSRP is the same and they’re supposed to be actually showing up on lots now – at least according to a press release/article. Now they’re 100% only to be stocked in CA. Currently the Mfr to dealer incentive is $4k through end of march (just assuming it applies to the '20s as well as the '19s though) vs the $5k it was back then when I had the $32k OTD quote for a new '19.

Someone call me crazy, but I’m seriously considering to look into selling my 2018 car (4300mi on it now. I paid $20,900 for it including TTL) for $25-28k in a couple months, fly to CA and buy a new of the same vehicle 2020MY for ~$25k after 7500 fed credit…

It’s basically exactly the same car. But I’d be 2 MY newer which would be better position (probably worth what… $4-5k more?) if I were to trade for a different EV in 2021. Technically the new car would start with ~1300 mi instead of 0 because I’d probably drive it back rather than ship it, but I would get a road trip/vacation out of it.

The reason this “deal” works out is because almost no one pays fed income taxes now. To have 7500 in fed taxes, you have to be single with a pretty good income (~$70k+ assuming no other deductions/no itemizing). Or you have to be MFJ with a very high income ~$95k+ assuming no deductions/itemizing. Keeping in mind median household income was under $64k last year. So, basically the full ev tax credit only applies to a small subset of the potential buyer pool. And I’d wager lots of the real high income people would buy Teslas or Taycans instead of looking at a Honda.

1 Like