Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

Tesla replaces Model 3 headlights, battery, seats, and more while going through ‘production hell’: Tesla replaces Model 3 headlights, battery, seats, and more while going through 'production hell' | Electrek

For example, Tesla has already replaced the Model 3 front and passenger seats as well as the battery packs from the vehicles made in July.

More recently, Tesla changed the Model 3’s headlight and tail lights for vehicles made in August. The headlights were replaced with an “upgraded version”, while the first version of the tail lights were susceptible to condensation – something that was visible in some Model 3 production candidates spotted in the wild earlier this year.

2 Likes

Elon Musk is a perfectionist. If it was a different CEO, meeting a production quota would be more important than fixing minor details. Elon is not just just a salaried CEO who doesn’t give a rat ass what happens to the car once it leaves the factory. GM, Ford, Toyota, and auto manufacturers would rather have a recall when enough consumers file complaints. Although I was initially disappointed to hear that there was a bottleneck and only produced 260 Model 3 sedans, but glad it’s because Elon’s determination to deliver a perfectly made car…even if it’s some parts are being handmade is true or not.

1 Like

Better be patient waiting for those Model 3’s… The reason they’ve only produced a few hundred is because they are banging them together by hand using primitive tools.

1 Like

I read it as a robotic issue. But whatever the reason may be, Tesla will overcome it and will start to crank out baby model 3s.

I want them to get the cars right rather than fast. I think Elon agrees with this and the benefit may be that the tax credit stays around when it’s my turn.

1 Like

The manufacturing issues are not new. The current cars (S, X) are not ‘right’ in some sense of the word. They’ve always been ‘good enough’ in certain areas. Manufacturing issues such as two parts arriving from two suppliers, both to spec that do not fit together have been going on for a long time.

IMHO the absence of a need to be lean and profitable is the root cause of this. That does give me hope that the Model3 will fix these issues, simply because the potential profit on the car is so much lower and the unlimited bag of money given to companies does eventually run out.

1 Like

The Model 3 will be a break even venture at best… I expect Tesla to file bankruptcy in the coming years.

1 Like

I’m currently showing Nov 2017-Jan 2018 / Jan-Mar 2018 / Jul - Sep 2018 when I check…

I’m no stranger to early Tesla models - having owned Roadster #318, Signature S #235 - They both had their issues over the years, and Tesla made it right every chance they had.

Currently on the fence on which version to get, but if there was a premium to be had in flipping it, I’d consider it.

1 Like

Sounds Ike you don’t have Roadster anymore. Definitely a collectible item and someday it will be worth a lot if it’s a mint shape.

I am tempted to sell my reservation for a premium, but I also want to enjoy the excitement of being an early owner.

Yes, I sold the roadster. It was a 1.5 model. Because of my travel, the lack of telemetry added to concerns about system failures.

Had the computer lock up once while away, battery died. Really heavy paper weight. Thankfully tesla jumped through numerous hoops to make it right.

I may have agreed with you if Model S & X sales were declining and there was no 500k pre-order for Model 3. But as long as demand continues to stay strong and Tesla maintains 2 years lead, Tesla will continue to do well.

Want to bet TSLA will hit $450 price target rather than $0 within next 2 years?

A bet to see if Tesla will gain 28% of its value or fall 100%? Sounds like a one sided bet :slight_smile: I am looking to take a short position and would welcome 450.

Not really one side bet if you believe Tesla is going to bankrupt in coming years. If your assumption is correct, then TSLA price should start to gradually go down hill in next 2 years as it approaches to BK and the chance of hitting $450 within next 2 years should diminish.

So what prize should we bet on? If you are right, I will get you any car brand clothing and accessory (based on your selection) up to $500 value. If TSLA hits $450/share, you get me Tesla clothing and accessory (based on my selection) up to $500 value? That should be enough to cover for a hat, shirt, and nice jacket. Deal?

3 Likes

oooooooh a bet! in as a witness.

musk is a genius and tesla is a good car, i can’t see tesla going under. but its p/e is a bit high. :popcorn:

1 Like

Tesla Model 3 was listed on Craigslist for $150,000! Wow!

No risk, no reward:wink:

Hey SIS, did you buy this Model 3?

I’d rather place a long term deep out of the money options bet that Tesla will collapse that would likely pay off 20:1 turning my $500 into 10k.

I am certain Tesla is going to collapse but the only thing I am not sure is when. The bubble is going to pop at some point but that could be next month, 2018, or 2022 for all I know but Tesla will go from the cult\hype phase back to reality.

doubtful. musk has other companies and he can easily restructure, plus tesla can’t fill the demand

1 Like

I’m betting the other way. I bought a few months ago January 2019 calls with strike prices between $400 and $600.