Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

So I will take that as a no to our friendly bet.

So what put options would you buy to convert your $500 into $10k?

Many shorts have lost money since they’ve been shorting since 2012. What makes it different this time especially when there is now 500k pre-order? It just seems you would be better off to short GoPro than Tesla if you really want to convert $500 to $10K.

I don’t do leaps. But your strategy makes some sense if bullish on TSLA. How long do you keep Jan 2019?

Would be nice to convert $5k to $100K so that I can buy Model X too :wink:

I plan to keep them until at least the middle of next year. The production issues for the model 3 should then be resolved and, hopefully, Tesla would have made some good progress towards autonomous driving.

Finally some news on Model 3 Performance version!

Watch video of Model 3P

1 Like

Tesla Model 3 bottleneck confirmed to be at Gigafactory 1, Panasonic CEO says should be resolved ‘soon’: Tesla Model 3 bottleneck confirmed to be at Gigafactory 1, Panasonic CEO says should be resolved 'soon' | Electrek

But today Reuters reports that Panasonic CEO Kazuhiro Tsuga confirmed that they know the “cause” of the bottlenecks and that production should increase soon:

“Panasonic Corp Chief Executive Kazuhiro Tsuga said on Tuesday that output could soon be increased at Tesla Inc’s “gigafactory” battery plant as the causes of production bottlenecks for Tesla’s Model 3 are now understood.”

He added that parts of the battery pack manufacturing process have yet to be automated.

“This process (for battery packs) will be soon automated, and then the number of vehicles to be produced will rise sharply,”

He made the comment during the release of the Japanese company’s second-quarter results today.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s just a battery issue. TSLA shares are getting pounded as if Model 3 production won’t increase. May need to add few more shares today if it keeps going down.

BTW, I got a notice email from Tesla saying that my order has been delayed to early 2018…sucks!

Republican tax bill proposes eliminating EV tax credit at the end of this year…thoughts? How does this impact your reservation and willingness to buy?

Assuming the tax bill passes (which I don’t believe it will), 0% chance of me buying without the $7,500 credit…won’t cancel until the last minute though (day one online reservation).

Will wait it out until I really need a new vehicle

1 Like

I think the stock drop is due to the following (from CNN):

The company said Wednesday that it burned through $1.3 billion in the most recent quarter – far more than Wall Street had been expected – and posted the largest quarterly loss in the company’s history.

Lots of stories around with the usual love/hate attitudes: Forbes, CNN, Chicago Tribune.

1 Like

I am a Model 3 reservation holder, but only put down shortly before Tesla’s Model 3 launch event in late July. Original delivery window for a first production run vehicle was Apr-Jun '18, now slipped a month to May-Jul '18. I wish that were realistic, but how can the ~3 month delay announced in production ramp up equate to just a one month slip? It’s disappointing not just because of the longer wait times, but I now expect to miss out on the full Federal tax credit even if I go for the more expensive first production vehicle, which I probably won’t at this point.

1 Like

If I don’t get full tax credit, I will definitely have to reconsider about buying Model 3 or other EV. But I seriously doubt EV tax credit will get repealed completely. Maybe they will just put a deadline of EV credits up to year 2018.

Oh, I’m not expecting a repeal either. What I am expecting is for Tesla to make 200k US sales in 1Q18 despite the Model 3 slowdown, in which case there will only be half the Federal tax credit available to Tesla purchases during the back half of 2018 when a Model 3 should be available to me.

You never know…line may have moved up when an email was sent to let people know there will be delay. Hope for the best!

Tesla finally opens up Model 3 orders to regular reservation holders

Electrek received several reports from regular Model 3 reservation holders (non-Tesla employee, family members or company insiders) who have started to receive invitations to configure and order their new electric cars.

Tesla confirmed that the latest batch of invitations included non-Tesla employees.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that non-employee is getting a notice to select options. But even if Tesla, eventually gets to point of producing 5,000 Model 3 cars per week in December, I won’t get my car till at least April of 2018 if I am reservation # 100k holder. Crossing my fingers and hoping that there won’t be anymore delays.

I’d be surprised if you get your car before July. You might have it by Thanksgiving. You should change your name to TeslaPedestrian until then.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/07/tesla-model-3-customer-deliveries-starting-next-week/

But the production volume is what most people are interested in since it’s what will affect most reservation holders’ delivery timeline.

During the earnings call last month, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that he would still expect the company to reach a couple thousand units per week by the end of the year.

That’s a lot fewer than the 5,000 units per week first anticipated, but it’s still an important production rate – though the clock is ticking on that goal.

C
[/quote]

I’d be surprised if you get your car before July. You might have it by Thanksgiving. You should change your name to TeslaPedestrian until then.
[/quote]

You will be the first person to be notified when I get my email around early 2018.

I was out of the country and just home and was trying to find out if the $7500 tax credit made it into the bill and it appears that it did according to CNN so that’s good news.

Definitely good news. Most likely $7,500 tax credit will be good till June since 200K Tesla EV sales will be reached in Q1 of 2018.

Also, some people who stood in line on March 31, 2017 (West coast) are getting emails to configure their Model 3. So there is a good chance I am getting my car before tax credit expires. Hopefully they will have AWD as an option by then.

Still thinking Thanksgiving? You might as change your name as WhyDoIKeepFukItUpShortingTesla :slight_smile: