Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

If you don’t care how car looks like and the performance, it sounds like all you need is a limousine with a driver.

I on the other hand enjoy the beauty and performance of a car. Tesla brought these qualities to EV cars. I am looking forward to have one in my garage soon.

Honestly, it was the 5% period on BBVA NBA and I wanted to support the company. From what I’ve seen of the 3, the car is meh for the price point (a good deal if the tax credit was still around), but I’m willing to take a test drive when my number is called and check it out before giving back/transferring my reservation. I’ve seen it at the auto show and it is a good size, but unfortunately the doors were locked because Tesla didn’t want everyone’s paws inside of it. Elon makes interesting design decisions, like not having grab bars, and since one of my frequent passengers is my mom who loves to unnecessarily hang on to those, I need to see if the door handle bar is sufficient. (The Bolt does have a passenger side front seat grab bar, but none elsewhere, which is fine for my purposes.)

did you used to own a ///M3?

2 Likes

I’m curious to know how many people on the reservation list are like Mr. Tesla where they are obsessed with the car and the company, and can’t see how similar the two cars are aside from the fact that one is available now and one is available who-knows-when.

2 Likes

Why would I want to go from BMW X3 to Chevy Bolt? That’s going backward. Until my Tesla delivery comes, I will continue to enjoy BMW X3.

Check out Twitter…people are posting their Model 3. Right now, the configuration notice has moved from West coast to Wyoming.

If you really want an electric car and you don’t want to spend a ton of money, that’s a pretty good reason for getting a Bolt. Why does what you are currently driving matter, especially since a Model 3 isn’t comparable to a BMW X3 either? Isn’t the Model X the comparable car? Isn’t that available now? If you’re concerned about a step down, shouldn’t you get the Model X?

Kinda funny how similar the names are to BMWs too.

I already have SUV that’f fairly new. Why do I need another one? When it’s time to replace my X3, I may consider Model X. But I will start with Model 3 first. If I like Model 3, then it’s no brainer Model X will be a great replacement for X3. Who knows, maybe BMW will have EV version of X3 when I am ready to replace it. But I know for sure that Bolt will never be in my garage. GM doesn’t realize style and cool factors do matter to consumers.

So your main reason for waiting around for the Model 3 is because you actually don’t want a new car right now. See, that actually makes sense.

I am buying Model 3 to enjoy my life. I’ve worked hard and rewarding myself with a car I want to drive. Unfortunately, Bolt is not a car where I want to waste my hard earned money. I take that back. I am actually getting my Model 3 for free (and get $7,500 tax credit) since I made good money on Tesla call options. Thanks to you :wink:

Based on the price of the Model 3, there’s nothing particularly special about it other than exclusivity. And if your predictions about Telsa hold true, it won’t be long until it’s not even exclusive anymore. The idea of the Model 3 and being a Tesla fanboy is what is enjoyable about it and that’s completely subjective (more so than other subjective enjoyment measures of automobile enjoyment).

As for getting it free and thanks to me (more so people like me that bet way more against you than I did), touche.

Good job on the stock win, but that doesn’t make the car free

2 Likes

If all you can’t ell the difference between Model 3 and Bolt, they you will never understand why people are willing to wait and pay more for Model 3. In your eyes, people who are doing so are “Tesla fanboy”. It’s about appreciating art and creativity. Your attitude is same as someone looking at Van Gogh painting and saying that there is no difference between Ikea painting and Van Gogh.

I can tell the difference. The Model 3 is a little bit better looking with a little bit more tech. And if you live where there are supercharging stations, there’s that. It has it’s downsides too, the main one being you can’t buy one right now. I’m not saying the Bolt is especially good looking, but you’re acting like the Model 3 is some classical work of art. It’s not. Not even close. There are plenty of other “special” cars for sale right now that look way better than the Model 3.

But my main reason for saying the Model 3 is not special is because the Model 3 is cheap (once you actually have the opportunity to pay for it). That means that if Tesla can ever hit their production projections, it’s going to be a super common base model car. You will have the Civic of EVs. If you wanted something “special” you would get a nicer model Tesla. That what makes you a fanboy. Fanboys think base models are special. Don’t take it personally. It’s okay to be a fanboy. I was a BMW fanboy at one point when I owned two of them.

So you arecalling the model 3 a piece of art compatible to a van gogh? Any chance of a reasonable discussion is now lost.

1 Like

No need discuss with someone who can’t comprehend a simple usage of an example.

If you think Model 3 is cheap, you better take a closer look at Bolt. You can’t get any cheaper than Chevy’s quality. Name one car that has a Chevy badge that you feel is made of great quality. Let me know when you can make one up.

Tesla fanboy? Ha! If BMW had something comparable to Model 3, I will consider buying BMW EV in a heart beat if looks and performs better. But since Tesla has done a great job of building a super network and great performance EVs, I don’t mind cheering them to their success. I am proud to see a great Made in USA product that is ahead of it’s competitors.

I wanted to get in line for the product, bottom line. If I decide that I don’t want the Model 3, I can request a refund (which others have said to be slow) or transfer it to another Tesla product.

You misunderstood my use of the word “cheap.” It’s the cheapest car that Tesla sells (fact). It’s also slightly cheaper than the average new car sold in the US today (fact). I guess that makes it more average than cheap if you want to nitpick. I wasn’t calling it cheap in comparison to the Bolt. The Bolt, however, objectively offers almost everything the Tesla Model 3 offers, with the main differences being of a more subjective nature (styling, brand recognition). Except for the most significant difference. I could walk into a Chevy dealership today and drive home in a Bolt.

Like I said, being called a Tesla Fanboy isn’t something you should be insulted by. So no need to try and deny it. It’s simply the truth. Your name on this board is “TeslaModel3” for goodness’ sake. Embrace your fanboy nature.

Well, somebody had to be first.

There’s Already a Smashed-Up Tesla Model 3 at a Salvage Auction

(Man, they really hugged that pole)

I saw one model S with a crumpled front-end on a flat-bed yesterday. I wonder what happened to collision avoidance?.