Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

Apparently the field of view of the radar is too narrow. Dunno about the one you saw, but with the previous S that crashed, supposedly the guy was watching a movie with the AutoPiliot on.

OY.

It only has avoision.

So Chevy fanboy, did you buy Bolt? If you like it so much why don’t you just buy one and enjoy it instead of wasting your time trying to convince people here that there are no differences between Model 3 and Bolt. Why don’t you drive from coast to coast? Oh wait…GM hasn’t set up any Supercharging stations. Guess that difference doesn’t mean much to you since you haven’t bought Bolt but like to talk about how great it is.

Obviously, you haven’t done your homework and don’t know that major differences are the battery and supercharging network. Tesla battery can quickly recharge while Bolt can’t. There are no coast to coast supercharging stations for Bolt. Even if GM sets one up, the battery is so slow to recharge and makes a long distance travel to be annoying.

Do some homework before you spread fake news. Maybe you are hoping it will help your GM position? Haha~

So did the owner buy AutoPilot option for his Model 3 and follow the instructions? Many Tesla crashes are because the driver ignores the warning that their hand needs to be on the steering wheel. Tesla’s Autopilot is only at Level 2…need to be at least Level 4 before a car can be considered as a full autonomous vehicle. I am not sure why some people are surprised to see that Tesla cars can crash if a driver doesn’t follow AutoPilot instructions.

Both ZenNuts and I were each referencing a Model S. In the crash I mentioned, the camera mistook the side of a white 18-wheeler trailer as a cloudy sky, and the radar only shot under the trailer. Boom.

That’s an old news that happened about a year ago. It’s not just Tesla’s AutoPilot that has an issue with white reflective surface. Volvo has the same issue. That’s why it’s only Level 2 at this point and requires a driver to put hands on the steering wheel. At Level 2, crash may happen if the driver is not paying attention and mistakenly assume that it’s full autonomous. Level 4 which is considered fully autonomous and it is probably at least good few years away.

You’re mistaking me for pointing out that your future car isn’t anything special compared to a Chevy Bolt with actually liking the Bolt. I don’t like any EV on the market right now. I enjoy 5 minute fill ups anywhere I want to go rather than long charge times or a small network of charging stations.

Go back to my post 113 and you will see that I pointed out that Tesla has some charging stations, and that can be useful depending where you live.

I drove coast to coast and back in 2004. Could I take the same route today if I had a Tesla? No. I would have to take the route that has their stations and time my stops with them rather than go on whatever route I wanted and stop whenever I wanted. So just because you can drive coast to coast in a Tesla doesn’t make it convenient to do so.

I learned my lesson with Tesla. I’m not investing in any auto manufacturer stocks anymore.

I’m well aware. There aren’t all that many Model S crashes to reference.

[quote=“meed18, post:128, topic:270, full:true”]

I don’t think shorting Tesla is considered as investing. You are betting against 400K+ demand for Model 3.

If you really invested in Tesla last year, you would have been up more than 40%.

[/quote]

I’m well aware. There aren’t all that many Model S crashes to reference.
[/quote]

I wonder why…

Ah, because they’ve only sold less than 120,000 in the U.S. ?

2 Likes

But if the field vision of radar is too narrow per your opinion, shouldnt at least 10% of 120,000 cars gotten into a crash? You’ve inferred that inferior radar has caused crashes, but where is the supporting data to back up your claim? Have you checked if any Bolt (which has no radar) has gotten into an accident? I bet there are few crashes too. Crashes are caused by drivsrs who think their EV is at level 4. So it’s a driver’s negligence of not understanding the car’s capability.

It’s a very cool time to have any Tesla, the first car in space, on order or in the driveway. A tip of the cap to Tesla owners, existing or future. Watching that Tesla soar high yesterday took me back fifty years. Remarkable stuff!

1 Like

Faulty logic

Most people are manually driving their cars. And you wouldn’t hear about a Tesla accident if it was a person driving.

1 Like

Faulty assumption of Tesla EV

You must have never driven Tesla if you are assuming that people are driving manually and somehow has turned off Level 2 Driver’s Assist features. All Tesla drivers that have turned on Level 2 Assist are using it everyday on their daily drive.

Can’t imagine why. The radar is too narrow vertically, with the top limit cutting off too low, which is why it didn’t see the trailer, just the nothingness under it. Guess the Tesla engineers musta thought the only vehicle the Model S might encounter was a Lamborghini.

A buddy of mine on the Tesla Model 3 list just got an email announcing another delay. A search on twitter of “Tesla Email” shows that its going out to a lot of people. Did you get that email too?

The Tesla has now left earth orbit and is heading into outer space. Can you say:

“Tesla planet” ?

But don’t panic :grinning:

I guess actually it will orbit Mars for a while.

So Tesla is polluting 2 planets now???

That means they are driving manually, they are operating the controls. You only hear about Tesla crashes when people decide to not put their hands on anything and let the car drive.