Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

FWIW it does appear the first automobile on Mars, at least in recent times, is likely to be a bright red Tesla. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not talking about AutoPilot or advance cruise-control but rather collision avoidance auto-breaking which a lot of new car got now. Maybe there’s a way to turn it off.

Was I replying to you…

I don’t know… You talking to me? You talking to me?

“then who the hell else are you talking?”
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Open forum…anyone can join into this conversation

1 Like

You may want to check the quote.

@TeslaModel3 Did you get an email that your car is delayed?

Yes, I did. It The first production delivery date is still same (March to May 2018), but Standard and AWD version are delayed to Late 2018. You are still going to lose your bet :slight_smile:

Still thinking Thanksgiving? You were wrong to short Tesla and now you are wrong to estimate Thanskgiving as the delivery date.

Umm, you said in your first post you were getting the standard battery. That email says the standard battery cars are coming out “late 2018.” I think there’s some sort of disconnect here TeslaPed.

Definitely disconnect here. Read carefully. I said I would do a standard battery for Nov to Jan delivery to save $9K. But it wouldn’t make sense to lose $7,500 tax credit to get a standard battery. Standard battery went out the door when Elon Musk announced late last year that standard battery won’t be available after July of 2018. It’s widely believed that full $7,500 tax credit will end by June of 2018.

You and I were discussing about whether I will get Model 3 before Thanksgiving or not. No battery was discussed until you just realize that I am still getting my Tesla in fe months. Nice try though.

In few months, I will post lots of my Model 3 photos to make you wish you’d stood in line to reserve one on March 31, 2016.

Got a perfect name for you…ToobrokeshortingTesla :laughing:

Ahh, I see. You want the cheapest Tesla or the cheap AWD model, but only if it comes with a tax credit. Otherwise, you will settle for whatever they give you if it gets you a tax credit. Please understand, it’s hard to keep track of all your hopes and dreams for your car. I mean look at all these posts:

It’s also hard to keep track of all the delays. Forgive my confusion. It’s a shame that so many of your hopes won’t be met, but at least you’ll have a very pretty $49,000 Chevy Bolt.

1 Like

Did you forget that I am happy driving my X3? As long as I get my $7,500 tax credit, it really doesn’t matter to me if I get next month or June. Model 3 will be a fun drive for the weekend.

There is no such thing as pretty Chevy Bolt. It’s ugly inside and outside. Even if they give me extra $5k to get it off their parking lot, I still wouldn’t buy it. Hell, I wouldn’t even want to drive into Chevy dealership and deal with cheesy car salesman.

Wow, that one flew over your head. There is such thing as a pretty Chevy Bolt - you’re on the waiting list for it.

1 Like

Those with interest in the Tesla Model 3 might find this Bloomberg article illuminating:

The Tracker

Article was updated on February 14, 2018.

I have a reservation for a model 3 placed on April 2nd, 2016. So, not a day 1 reservation, but the first weekend. I’m excited about the car, but meed18 makes some legitimate points and I feel TeslaModel3 sometimes goes a bit overboard. But then again meed18 also cherry picks comments just to be more combative.

The Bolt is a decent car. I find the styling of the Model 3 better than the Bolt. That is a personal preference. I am glad the Bolt, Leaf, i3, and Ioniq exist. More competition is better and will drive improvements across all brands.

I choose to give Tesla an interest free loan for a reservation because there is little downside. At 3% per year (far more than banks are paying, but less than the stock market has returned), I am losing out on 30 dollars per year. Not a big deal. Given that the reservation might save my $7500 in tax rebates, that is a great trade off. Even if I don’t get a tax rebate, there might be value in flipping the car. And even if I don’t try to make money on the reservation, getting the car earlier is worth the $60 over two years.

I would prefer AWD and premium upgrade package, but haven’t decided on LR vs SR. The tax incentive will sway my decision. I’m willing to pay more for AWD, but only so much more. If the choice is between not paying for AWD and getting the full $7500 rebate and getting the car later with no rebate, and paying extra for AWD, then I won’t get it. Its not that I need the rebate, but that I am making a rational cost vs. benefit decision. AWD is worth around $5k to me. I’m not going to pay more than $10k (price of AWD plus loss of tax credit) for it.

In terms of time to refill the car, I think it is a red herring. Every morning you start with a full tank. You get to charge the car overnight in your garage. Recharge time only matters if you drive more than the range in a single day. How often do you do that? Compare that to how often you spend time filling up at a gas station. Over a year, I expect to spend less time waiting for the car to fill up compared to a ICE car because of this.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your rationale of selecting your Model 3. Definitely, tax credit will influence our decision. Looking forward to discussing options once we get a notification to configure our car.

1 Like

For what reason do you guys want all wheel drive? Are you regularly going to be driving in snow? I’m just wondering because I thought one of the main points of an EV is efficiency. Unless you are using it, AWD is just added weight and inefficiency, isn’t it?

We’ve had snow on the roads between one to two weeks each winter for the past few years where I live. In my current job, my office closes or I can work remotely when the roads are bad. So I don’t have to drive in the snow. In my old job I had to go in when it snowed, but I always made it into work even though I’ve never owned an all wheel drive car. I own tire chains and I’ve used them a grand total of twice in the past 4 winters.