The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

Yeah people are dumb. Of course you can find isolated incidents of dumb people pulling down a Washington or Jefferson statue.

Hell, when I was in high school the statue in front of the school of its founder (not related in any way to any of current retrospection) was also pulled down once…

It seems a bit absurd to find an isolated nonsense example of morons not even knowing what they’re doing (if the interview is accurate) and hold it up as “See!?! this is what’s happening EVERYWHERE! Shoot all the protesters! Ask questions, investigate later…”

1 Like

I guess they should instead have a statue for Queen Isabella of Castile, who provided Christopher Columbus with the money for his voyage. That way it wouldn’t be a representation of “patriarchy”. Then again, Isabella ordered the expulsion of Jews from Spain. Well, she was divisive and oppressive.

IMO, this is getting ridiculous. We should acknowledge the horrors of history, here and all around the world going back to the beginning of civilizations: the abuses against others be it because of their race, ethnicity, gender, … But erasing history won’t change history. Looking at Columbus, shouldn’t his courage and entrepreneurship be admired? We can also point out that he represented the European views and values of those days, but there is no need to ignore his great contributions to history as well.

Acknowledgement is not what statues in public spaces are for. Acknowledgement is in history books, historical sites, and museums. Statues of individuals in public spaces are to elevate up those that society collectively decides represent the very best of us.

If you want “history” statues, where are all the Hitler statues you’re campaigning for? Certainly he had an outsized historical significance.

I’ve never personally taken a side either way on Columbus statues. But there’s currently a global pushback against a lot of colonial-related figures.

2 Likes

Represent the very best of us within the historical time they lived in. We’d have no statues otherwise. What we, today, consider virtues won’t be so in 50 years.
We can’t expect perfection in people either, as it doesn’t exist.

Removing statues is not the same as “erasing history”!

Perhaps if we all learned the truth about him from early childhood, we would not idolize him or his contribution to history as much. There’s a long list of people who’ve made just as significant a contribution to civilization, without the cruelty.

1 Like

That suggests public spaces can’t change over time. They can and do. Some structures and art is maintained in place (ideally the best subset, but not really always the case). This can be entire museum-like areas or just individual pieces.
Others are destroyed (Reich related in Germany, and now some Confederate traitor related in US) or relocated (see various museums. There’s basically whole city blocks of museums throughout the world displaying statues and other pieces that were formerly in public spaces. ).

New art is continually produced and either displaces the old (or irrelevant) or is displayed alongside older pieces that are chosen to be maintained, otherwise it would be a very boring world.

But was it in any way condoned? Random idiots will always be idiots, but it is now being openly cheered. Or are you saying that other idiots are doing the cheering, and we’ve just been overrun by idiots?

1 Like

???
Where is the open cheering for pulling down the Thomas Jefferson statue? In your imagination?

There’s not even widespread cheering for the controversial statues coming down by vigilantism, just statements of understanding where the motivation may be coming from. That’s NOT the same as “cheering”. There IS widespread people pressuring their elected officials to replace statues of traitors and others.

Everyone has some tarnish in their biography. Celebrating one’s positives in no way endorses their negatives. People who choose to focus on the negatives kind of bring the feelings of oppression and divisiveness on themselves. People who don’t feel that way about a former slave owner aren’t racist, they’re just choosing to focus on the positive contributions.

2 Likes

He was the other side. Him and his regime was eliminated. There is no “our” that he is part of.

You and others here have endorsed the vigilante vandalism. Your comments have not merely been understanding their motivation.

1 Like

Where? Find one direct quote.

Nevermind this is off topic from the claim that there’s “cheering”(I guess implied to refer to… The “fake media”, excluding of course the “right media”?)
for the Thomas Jefferson statue toppling.

You (Bend3r) only defend the motivations of those doing it. But, when applying the same standards you apply to those who want to keep the statues, can equate to endorsing their actions. But maybe I read it to be more aggressive than you intend. (I dont want to put words in your mouth, I’ve long thought that we may not be on the same page, but we are on the same chapter of the same book)

This just happened:

On Sunday, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), one of the women Joe Biden is considering to be his running mate, slammed President Donald Trump’s Fourth of July speech at Mount Rushmore. She suggested she would consider removing statues of George Washington, the father of our country, and she condemned Trump for speaking at Mount Rushmore, which rests on land “stolen from Native Americans

Duckworth was interviewed on CNN.

Folks, these Democrats are all insane. No hyperbole here: they are straight up out of their freaking minds!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

The rats are leaving their sinking ships in droves. Trouble is, they remain rats wherever they move to and continue to vote DemocRAT:

Rats remain rats regardless where they resettle

These foolish people are a far greater threat to me, as a rural person, than any pandemic. They are a scourge.

Normally each year at end of June I watch for big SCOTUS decisions. And we did have a number of them already. But then after 30 June I sort of stop watching.

This year is very different. The SCOTUS is not finished handing down important decisions, regardless it’s already sixth of July. Keep a weather eye. There will be some blockbusters coming this week, probably commencing today.

Not sure where you live, but I was thinking the same thing.

You live in the rural area of Northern NY? (no) I also live in a rural area, but CA. Both sites are strongly liberal demRats. My particular rural area always votes Rep, but none the less, we are certainly in the minority.

Reading comprehension is hard

Speak for yourself. I had no trouble understanding that message. And neither do millions of other traditional, patriotic, Americans.

2 Likes