Unclaimed Property Search

A lot of us may have some unclaimed property from old bank accounts, rebates, and over payments of bills. Most state controllers have a site where you can make a claim from their database. Here is an example from California.

“California’s Unclaimed Property Law requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, and insurance companies (referred to as “Holders”) to annually report and deliver property to the California State Controller’s Office after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law - generally (3) three years or more.”

https://ucpi.sco.ca.gov/ucp/Default.aspx

2 Likes

Here is a site with many useful links for different types of unclaimed funds:

USAGov

I’ve used MissingMoney.com with some success in tracking down money from a deceased relative.

1 Like

Great, those links are even better!

1 Like

NYS

Meant to post this earlier, but had a posting issue: Unclaimed Funds | Office of the New York State Comptroller

Picked up $45 from Google (no idea why) a few years ago with one of these database searches.

Went through the process via CreditKarma and ended up with $63 from Virginia. Worth the 5 or so minutes needed to apply.

I got around $40 from Sprint 5 years ago using a state unclaimed funds search. Also found about $2k for my grandpa in California (utility credits, I believe). Can be very helpful, especially if you’ve moved between states.