Virtual Private Network (VPN) Service Recommendations?

There’s one little problem with taking advice from random people about something like this. Just because someone is good about their money (enough to have an account at bogleheads), doesn’t mean they have the necessary knowledge about VPNs. The question in that thread – “Does anybody use VPNs here? If you do, which vpn would you recommend?” – tells me that the person asking it has absolutely no idea what VPNs do, because he didn’t say why he needs the service. And the answers are just as loose, few of them explained why they recommend something other than because “it works”, whatever that means.

Here’s a good primer, just released 2 days ago: This Video Is Sponsored By ███ VPN - YouTube. It doesn’t recommend any specific services, just talks about what VPNs do and what to look out for.

2 Likes

I suggest looking at the VPNs recommended by privacytools as they have rigorous criteria for their selections: Best VPN for Privacy & Security in 2023 - Top 6

I know this is an ancient thread, but for anyone that’s looking, I’ve been using Mullvad VPN for a couple months now and like it. Speeds are good and so is the reliability. I like their privacy policies.

I have a couple use cases, but it’s mostly for public wifi and preventing my ISP from snooping on unencrypted data. This, plus a tweaked version of Firefox, has done a decent job at trying to beef up privacy and security.

1 Like

This still holds true for me. I’ve been very pleased.