! WELCOME NEW USERS ! Ask your questions here! (flame-free)!

Yeah, I thought it was just debit card transactions at first, but it looks like billpays work. I don’t want to do the self bill pay thing though. This is a small enough bank that they might get suspicious about that.

That’s true. But surely you use a credit card occasionally, and have a bill to pay? You dont want to slam a credit card with dozens of $1 transactions, but you can split your payment into 6 smaller payments.

1 Like

To clarify, I log into the service/utility site directly and make a small partial payment using my debit card. At Comcast.com for example, I can make one payment then save the payment method for faster payments on the next and future transactions.

While adding the utility account as a billpay on your bank’s website may work too towards meeting transaction requirements, I think it’s much safer and would raise fewer flags to do 10 debit payments from your debit card than 10 ach billpays from the bank’s website.

1 Like

Both of use can contribute $19500 each towards 401k for 2020 right? I need to adjust the % of contribution for this year.

Yes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

What is the difference between Schwab target index fund vs target fund i.e., Schwab Target 2030 Index Fund vs Schwab Target 2030 Fund?

Schwab Target 2030 Index Fund SWYEX

The investment seeks to provide capital appreciation and income consistent with its current asset allocation. The fund seeks to achieve its investment objective by investing primarily in affiliated Schwab exchange-traded funds (ETFs). It has a policy to invest, under normal circumstances, at least 80% of its assets (net assets, including, for this purpose, any borrowings for investment purposes) in underlying funds that are managed to seek investment returns that track particular market indices. The fund is managed based on the specific retirement date (target date) included in its name and assumes a retirement age of 65.
Net Expense Ratio .08%

Schwab Target 2030 Fund SWDRX

The investment seeks to provide capital appreciation and income consistent with its current asset allocation. The fund seeks to achieve its investment objective by investing primarily in a combination of other affiliated Schwab Funds and Laudus Funds. It may also invest in unaffiliated third party mutual funds (referred to herein as unaffiliated funds and, together with Schwab Funds and Laudus Funds, the underlying funds). The fund invests in the underlying funds in accordance with its target portfolio allocation.
Net Expense Ratio .57%

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Looking for suggestions for a friend. They want to consolidate some debt into a fixed payment to eliminate it in X # of years (unsure of their timeline at this point). In the past, I used to point people to Lending Club. Is that still a good option? I see a lot of new options that I am not familiar with… ie Marcus.

Looking for suggestions considering fees and rates if possible.

For example, Marcus seems better than LC but I don’t know much about them. Also, PenFed seems to have pretty good rates on personal loans.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m guessing they don’t have home equity? Mortgage rates are near multi-year lows, so a cash-out refi could be the best option. Or a HELOC.

3 Likes

I am going to switch to new employer. My current employer benefits are going to expire by end of this week(last working day). Medical benefits with new employer are going to start from 1st of March(Beginning of month). i am going to miss insurance coverage during last 3 weeks in Feb. What options do i have other than Corba. I have high deductible plan with HSA contributions with current employer. Can i use HSA money to pay of Corba for 3 weeks. I have checked with my HR 3 times. They confirmed about termination of benefits by my last working day.
Thanks

No, you cant pay insurance premiums with HSA money. But…do you need continuous coverage for ongoing medical issues? Because you have 60 days before you need to accept COBRA benefits, then another month to pay the premium. So you can see if you need the coverage during this 3 week gap, and only pay for it if you use it.

4 Likes

Thanks @scripta! I hadn’t considered the cashout refi. I will check w/ them. I did look at heloc’s some but the rates did not look great for a relatively short period of time.

If I am able to sort anything further out, I will post back. May help others down the line…

1 Like

And definitely check some of the local CUs for the refi. I’ve had great luck doing a cashout refi recently at a local CU.

2 Likes

I believe you can:

You can ONLY use your HSA to pay health insurance premiums if you are collecting Federal or State unemployment benefits, or you have COBRA continuation coverage through a former employer.

2 Likes

Thanks Glitch99. I can use COBRA and then only pay for COBRA when i use it right? Can i use current employer issued insurance cards during this period for COBRA as well? In this 3 weeks period, which insurance card I have to use?

I am not sure about need for continuous coverage. I am going to join new employer on 10th of Feb. They are going to start offering benefits starting from 1st March. Continuous coverage might not be an issue for me. Another option is to check with Spouse employer if they can add us to spouse coverage for 3 weeks. If i am going with COBRA option, is it better to add PIP option to car insurance.
Thanks again for the help.

Thanks

Regarding 401k plan. I have 401k with vanguard. I also have roll over IRA with Scwabb. I should be able to roll over vanguard 401k plan into Schwab right? Or I should be roll over both of them into another place if there are some balances right?

Thanks

Once you’ve left your employer, they may tell you to roll over your 401k balance. You can roll it over to an IRA, new or existing. You can also have more than one IRA, although having fewer accounts makes life simpler. Whether you go with Vanguard or Schwab depends on what you need, how you plan to invest the money, and which one you like better (website, phone service, physical location, etc). Both now offer free online trades for stocks and ETFs, the only difference I think is the choice of no-transaction-fee mutual funds.

4 Likes