! WELCOME NEW USERS ! Ask your questions here! (flame-free)!

If on your wife’s W-2, the little box that says “retirement plan” is NOT checked, yes you should be good to deduct the full $5,500. To be sure, finish your taxes in a tax prep program and see if it lets you get the deduction automatically.

2 Likes

What is the best redemption option(s) for Amex MR points? I have about 27,000 of them. I discovered that statement redemption is not as great as expected… Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start looking for a VA Loan?

I saw the link at the top of this thread for Zillow and at least one of the loan companies seems a bit shady.

TIA

Does anyone know how to contact the FWF class action guy? MikeFxxxx I think. I remember his long thread about a class action having to do with mortgage modification fees that he vaguely outlines during the process. Or if you don’t know how to contact him, can anyone point me to any public info of his? I seem to remember he eventually gave enough info to find articles and such about the suit. Thanks.

Well, a two year break wasn’t bad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone else received a new Bank of America credit card or debit card that is impossible to sign? I just got a new one and I’ve tried a ball point pen, a roller ball pen, and a gel pen and the darn thing won’t hold any ink. The signature strip doesn’t feel any different than the rest of the card. I don’t feel like buying a fine point sharpie just to sign the back of my credit card.

I stopped signing my credit cards probably over a decade ago. Nobody cares / checks. With EMV you shouldn’t even have to hand your card to anyone (but old habits die hard, so it’ll be a few years before we catch up to the rest of the world).

4 Likes

I make monthly contributions to a post-tax Traditional IRA. I want to do the backdoor Roth IRA conversion.

1. Does the contribution have to sit in the Traditional for any period of time or can I do it immediately?

2. Am I allowed to do the conversion every month after that month’s contribution?

Is there a master thread for cyber incidents/ account breeches? I just got an email about the recent incident with CapOne.

I don’t think so but that would be a good idea. I would like to hear more about C1 breach. I am wondering if I will get notice too…

CapOne page describes what data was included.
Krebs article has some details. It was a former Amazon employee who took the data from AWS.
Wired has some more: “She allegedly exploited a misconfigured firewall to access a Capital One cloud repository and exfiltrate data sometime in March. On April 21, the FBI says, Thompson posted the data to her GitHub account, which included her full name and résumé. It is unclear whether anyone downloaded the data after she allegedly posted it, but they very well may have given that Thompson allegedly talked openly about stealing the data, even on Slack.”

We don’t have a thread. There are way too many of these happening, not sure we can keep up with all of them.

1 Like

I check in with Krebs everyday just to keep on top of the latest trends in cyber crime.

He doesn’t post every day. I recommend an RSS reader that tells you when something new is posted :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Here is some more good info on cap 1 breach. Wow, some crazy details on this one… Cloud gone wild?!?

https://ejj.io/blog/capital-one

1 Like

Hi,
Wondering if i can pay my CC bill using spouse bank account. Is it possible to link my CC account with Spouse a/c for payment.

Thanks

There are two ways to pay a CC: (1) to initiate a “push” payment by using a bank’s bill pay and specifying the CC as the biller (or by sending a check), and (2) to initiate a “pull” payment by telling your CC to pull money from a (linked) bank account.

There are no restrictions for #1 as anyone can pay off anyone else’s bills (as long the payer authorized the payment). I checked the “link new account” pages for some of my CCs and they all say “your account”, so I’m pretty sure for #2 the payment source must be in your name.

3 Likes

I noticed that mint has been erroring out on a bunch of my accounts. They are actually old, inactive accounts. Anyone else?

I am wondering if I should delete some of them if this doesn’t stop soon. I am not too concerned about the history of most of these accounts.

Thanks for any input.

You should remove them because it’s taking longer for Mint to update all of your accounts.

1 Like

Planning to get insurance in couple of weeks. I think it is going to be expensive after reaching 40 years. please suggest me approach. Looking for term or term plus payout options.

Thanks

I’m guessing life insurance? From my reading of FWF and FD I think group term is best for mere mortals, but some other complex schemes might work better for multi-millionaires trying to pass down an inheritance while avoiding some tax. Or something like that.

3 Likes