! WELCOME NEW USERS ! Ask your questions here! (flame-free)!

We are going to file as married joint filing status. I think, it is better to start 401k and contribute as much as possible in this year and continue maxing out from next year. What do you guys think?

Not trying to open a can of worms but consider the following, in my order of preference:

• Max out HSA if you have a qualified insurance plan

• Max out IRA

• Max out 401k

The only doubt about the HSA is if you will be leaving the country permanently. The reason for the IRA over the 401k is because you donā€™t have a company match, and since you can open the IRA anywhere, you will have a much wider choice of investment vehicles.

2 Likes

Hi Honkinggoose,
Thanks for the information. max out IRA and 401k are mutually exclusive right? We want to start 401k which can be maxed out to 19k instead of 6k with IRA? Is it possible to do both?
Also wondering if it is possible to pay back salary and contribute it towards this year 401k. We have only few paychecks left. Not sure if we can max out 401k with few remaining months salary.
Thanks

They are not mutually exclusive ā€“ you can max out both of them for the same year. HOWEVER, there are income limits for the IRA deductions, and those income limits are lower if you are covered by an employer plan like the 401k. So yes, each person can contribute $19K into 401k plus $6K into an IRA (either Roth, Traditional, or a combination of the two). If you canā€™t take a deduction for the Traditional IRA contribution because of the income limits, then you should contribute to a Roth IRA. If you can take a partial deduction, you can contribute some amount to Traditional IRA to get the deduction, and the rest to Roth (the total IRA contributions may not exceed $6K per person).

I think this wiki page covers everything you need to know: Traditional IRA - Bogleheads

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, but even if itā€™s possible and legal, itā€™ll be up to your employer, so ask your HR/benefits person.

2 Likes

For Chase cards, is it possible to transfer UR points from one card to another. Iā€™m nearing closing Sapphire and still got a bunch of points there since I didnā€™t end up using it for travel.

Be careful with closing the Sapphire accounts. I got the CSR for the 100,000 pt bonus a few years ago, but I canā€™t get it again until it has been 48 months (not sure if since closure/opening/receiving bonus). So, now that I want to travel, I canā€™t get 1.5x value for the points. However, I applied for one of the Ink business cards for 1.25x points ($95 annual fee).

As soon as I get to 48 months, I will be applying and likely keeping the card for 2 years after which my spouse will get the card for 2 years. You can transfer points to household members with no problem.

2 Likes

Yes, logon to the UR site (or logon to chase and click on the points), then find the Combine Points menu item on the hamburger menu. Or just try this: Chase Online

Combining points can be glitchy if you have too many UR cards (more than 3) or separate profiles (like personal and business) ā€“ some cards just donā€™t show up. Iā€™ve had to call in the past to get the links fixed.

5 Likes

Thanks for the 411. Iā€™m not too worried about the 48 months windows, just donā€™t want to lose the points if I close the card. The only other Chase card I got is the Freedom.

My company offered voluntary insurance plan is cheaper than outside. There is a option to convert it into personal in case of job lost. Any one familiar with this process? Will they give options to term life etc., .

Also wondering if it is worth getting pre-paid legal through company benefits ($10 per pay check). We are thinking of creating a will which is covered with this plan. Wondering if it is worth it.

Any feedback on this?

Canā€™t speak to the life insurance, except to say that I feel more comfortable depending on my own policy than expecting to be able to convert employer-provided benefit if I needed to.

Regarding group legal, I had a good experience using it for a will and it paid for itself that year. Limited list of attorneys in the plan, but no issue using it. Iā€™ve kept it even though I havenā€™t been using it because I figure itā€™ll come in handy if I ever get a speeding ticket or some other situation. Itā€™s probably not a great value, given that Iā€™ve had it for many years and barely used it, but itā€™s not expensive.

Maybe I could get them to write objections to crummy class action settlements like Zappos for meā€¦

1 Like

Hi Doveroftke,
Thanks for the information. Employer plan is slightly cheaper but converting might be a problem. I think, they only allow conversion into whole life policy.
Regarding legal benefit, it is going to cost $10 per paycheck. It is going to be $240 per year. I am assuming that, creating WILL, going to be very expensive ($1000 at least). This plan will cover creating Will or Trust for free. I am not sure what is the difference between WILL vs TRUST.
My only issue is how do i add future assets/ foreign assets to the will? If we get something as a inheritance in future, can we assign all these things to go existing will?

Thanks

Any feedback about including Foreign assets with the WILL.

Is it Hyatt Legal Plans / Metlaw? IMO it will be worth it if you need to prepare any documents like wills, trusts (they are very different), or do all of them (estate planning). You should go to a presentation or do some reading on Estate Planning to learn the difference between wills and trusts, theyā€™re very different, but complimentary. I get spam in the mail from local law firms that do free estate planning presentations once or twice a year. Iā€™ve found quotes between $1800 and $4500 for estate planning around here, but it should be fully covered under the group legal plan, assuming you can find a lawyer that does these services in your area. In fact I found out about that at one such presentation, and Iā€™ve just signed up to get this done next year.

Basically a WILL just tells the judge / executor what you want to do with your assets after youā€™re gone. A TRUST is a legal entity that owns or can receive assets. Things that you own directly (as opposed to things owned by a trust) are subject to probate, and this is different in every state. In CA, if your estate ASSET VALUE (not the ā€œnet worthā€) exceeds some small amount (I think $150K), then everything you own goes through probate and a judge gets to decide what to do with your assets. Usually the judge will just follow the WILL if you had one and it was properly prepared, but this could take months to years, the assets are frozen in the meantime, and your property could even be foreclosed if someone else doesnā€™t pay the bills. Also probate isnā€™t free, the cost depends on the total value of assets.

But if you personally donā€™t own anything and everything is in trusts (which do not die), then all those assets do not go through probate. The trust would have a contingent beneficiary, meaning the person who becomes the beneficiary of the trust if the primary beneficiary (you) pass away. Thereā€™s also something called a Pour-over Will, which is a WILL that, in case of your demise, moves your personal assets that may not already be in a trust, into a trust (thus avoiding probate). All these documents (plus medical and/or financial Power of Attorney, health care directive, advanced medical directive, and probably some others) are prepared as part of Estate Planning.

Thatā€™s how I understand it anyway. Iā€™m not a lawyer.

3 Likes

Itā€™s all in how the will is worded. ā€œI leave all my assets to my son Joeā€ means whatever assets you have at death (that you already had, or acquire in the future) will go to Joe. If you specify assets, and in the future have assets that arent mentioned, youā€™ll have to formally amend the will to include those new assets. And for that matter, naming specific names will inherently exclude anyone not named, while being more vague (saying ā€œto my childrenā€) can cover future beneficiaries without producing an amendment.

No one can really advise you as to how specific you need to be, other than a lawyer working directly with you. There are benefits to being specific and to being vague, but either can also come with serious pitfalls. Only your specific circumstances and details determine what language is most appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed information. We signed up for Hyatt Legal Plan/Metlaw ($9.50 per paycheck). I think it is paid after tax from payroll. We will check with Lawyer about estate planning. We waited until we become citizens.

1 Like

WWe will inherit some assets in foreign county. We have home and saving here. We will discuss with Lawyer and get their feedback. This plan also covers property tax protest.

1 Like

I am very interested in what they consider to be the max time they will spend on your estate planning. If you donā€™t mind following up after speaking with them, I would appreciate it. We just finished open enrollment and skipped the legal plan. I presumed, probably incorrectly, that they would have a maximum hours spent per incident/client.

Thanks for the suggestion. My will is coming up on 10 years and circumstances have changed so that I am now interested in learning more about trusts. One of the downsides of keeping our names off of mailing lists is that we donā€™t get many offers for ways to spend money. :slight_smile:

Technically Iā€™m not on any mailing lists (didnā€™t you see my privacy thread?), but I own property in my name and Iā€™m guessing they send their letters to all homeowners in the area.

Of course they always ask for personal information when you either sign up in advance or show up at such presentations (their goal is to sell you their services after all), so I come prepared with a fake name and a non-existent address.