Wells Fargo Cash Wise $200 bonus + phone Insurance

Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa Card

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-wise/

This card offers 1.5% cashback and a $200 statement credit when you spend $1000 in the first 3 months.

The credit card also offers phone insurance on your first 4 mobile lines when you use the card to pay your monthly phone bill. Details posted below but it basically gives you $600 of protection against damage or theft (but not loss) with only a $25 deductible.

Cellular Telephone Protection can reimburse the eligible Wells Fargo Consumer credit card cardholder for damage to or theft of a cellular wireless telephone. Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones are limited to the primary line and up to the first three additional lines as listed on your provider’s monthly statement. Cellular Telephone Protection is subject to a $25.00 deductible per claim and a maximum of 2 claims per 12 month period. The maximum benefit limit is $600.00 per occurrence and $1,200.00 per 12 month period. You will receive no more than the value of the original phone or a replacement phone with similar features and functionality, less a $25.00 deductible. This benefit does not cover cellular telephones that are lost. This protection is only available when cell phone bills are paid from your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. The coverage does not apply if the cell phone bill is paid from a Wells Fargo Debit Card, Wells Fargo Business Credit Card, or from the card that is linked to a Line of Credit. Coverage does not apply for electronic failure or cell phones that are received as part of a pre-paid plan. Cellular telephone protection coverage begins the first day of the calendar month following your first cellular telephone billing on your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card, and remains in effect when you continue to charge your total monthly cellular telephone bill to your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. This protection may not be equivalent to or better than other applicable coverage you may have presently or in the future, such as your homeowner’s or automobile insurance policies, or through a plan provided through the seller of the telephone. For complete coverage benefits and exclusions regarding this protection call 1-800-642-4720, 24 hours a day, seven days a week or go to wellsfargo.com/cellphone.

Coverage is supplemental to Cardholder’s primary insurance coverage. Entire rental transaction must be completed with an eligible Wells Fargo Cash Wise Credit Card account. Cardholder must decline coverage from the rental company to be eligible for this benefit. Certain vehicles are not covered. Certain restrictions and limitations apply. Please review the Visa Guide to Benefits (PDF) for details.

1 Like

Do you need a checking account to get this card?

How do they determine the first four lines? We got 11 lines on our plan… Is it by where they appear on the bill?

I’ve used WF cell phone protection 2 times now. Have only good things to say about the cell protection. I don’t know how they would determine the first four lines but the wording does make it sound like the literal first four lines on the bill.

[quote=“Stubtify, post:4, topic:1784”]
I don’t know how they would determine the first four lines but the wording does make it sound like the literal first four lines on the bill.[/quote]If a person only has 4 or fewer lines, it doesn’t matter, but if you have more than 4 lines, please note that the WF coverage actually extends to “the primary line and up to the first three additional lines as listed on your provider’s monthly statement.”

I point this out because depending on the provider, the primary line isn’t always listed among the first 4 lines, but it is covered. What I don’t know is what WF would do in situations where there are more than 4 lines and the provider’s phone bill shows both rows and columns of phone numbers.

I was approved without any WF bank accounts. I had a checking account but I closed it 5+ years ago.

I don’t see that you need to pay the bill in full with the WF card. Do you think a partial payment would qualify? I contribute toward a family plan, but don’t want to put it entirely on this card.

Cellular telephone protection coverage begins the first day
of the calendar month following your first cellular telephone billing on
your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card, and remains in effect when you
continue to charge your total monthly cellular telephone bill to your
Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card.

More terms/requirements are in this PDF

1 Like

Do you know if the phone (handset) itself needs to be purchased on this WF card?
For example, if I pay my Sprint bill from this WF card, would it cover my existing iPhone 6 - which I bought a couple of years ago? I also wonder if they use some sort of depreciation factors as I had paid well over $600 for it a few years ago, but now you probably could get a refurbed i6 for around $350?

TIA.

You’ll want to ask the benefit administrator: 1-800-882-8057.

No, the phone doesn’t need to be purchased on the card.

The payout will depend on the damage. They’ll make you get an estimate for repair (they will reimburse for the estimate). If the screen is cracked and the repair is $200, you’ll get a check for $175, $25 deductible. If the damage is more extensive, like water damage or component damage you’ll be given the replacement cost at their discretion.

In my experience the phone repair estimate said it was a total loss. The adjuster actually saw that the 2+year old phone was no longer being sold new, and cut me a check for a brand new model. I lucked out because the phone manufacturer was no longer making the lower end model and only had high end models. In my case I was claiming a $250 phone, and the check was for nearly $500. They had the purchase receipt, but paid out for a new replacement phone instead of just the $250.

The claim process is a PITA, they need proof that the phone WAS connected to the plan during the month you’re claiming the protection. This means you need a screenshot of your online account with the phone IMEI showing. It has been a significant sticking point for my claims in the past, and I have had to get creative to ‘prove’ what was true at the time.

In addition their requests can be super screwy, multiple requests for the same documents. IME it has been best to submit everything together. If they need an additional piece of information I will attach all the old documentation and the new request so they don’t come back again and ask for the old documentation a second time.

2 Likes