2022 Caddy Blackwing - 200 mph for well south of $100k

Are you sure??? Most cars are nose-heavy because most of the weight is under the hood. The difference between FWD and RWD is what, a drive shaft and a differential?

Also what “snuff”? Understeering in FWD and oversteering in RWD is not caused by weight distribution.

Not many, but there are still a few. Mostly cars. Very few trucks.

There are a few of these lists out there. Not sure which one is the most accurate. I know the Miata also has a manual option, but isn’t on that list.

2 Likes

Of course.

Real cars have a roughly 50-50 weight distribution. This is why high performance cars (e.g., Corvette, Mustang, many European cars) have always been RWD.

FWD junk is less expensive to build which means more profit for the manufacturers.

Transverse engines = silly

Note 4WD autos are a special case and I’m not commenting here on them.

Also note the new mid-engine Corvette, which remains RWD, is different and special. It actually has a 40/60 weight distribution absent the driver. Thus it is much more a drag strip qualifier than was its C7 Corvette predecessor. The C7 has correct 50/50 weight distribution which enhances handling, but it does not compete with the C8 off the line.

1 Like

I just bought a FWD. KIA Niro EV. Yes it has torque steer if you floor it, even though they seem to have intentionally nerfed the acceleration. (Only does 6.5s…)

2 Likes

I thought I was, but maybe not. Any cars that I’ve looked at in the last 10 years haven’t had a manual option, except for the flappy paddles. And you’re right that manual trannys are a lot simpler than automatics, and are thus a lot cheaper to repair.

J̶i̶m̶ ̶D̶a̶n̶d̶y̶ 'er Meed18 to the rescue. Thank you, and I’m impressed that there are so many.

It took forever to find my current truck in a stick. I presumed that if you wanted a 4x4, you would definitely want it in a stick. I was apparently, and possibly for the first time, wrong. :smile:

And you’re such a spring chicken? (said in the voice of a Jewish mother with a Brooklyn accent)

That’s just a game controller to emulate the feel of a manual on an automatic (manumatic). Pretty sure you never have to use it.

Fun fact: most Subarus (and many other cars) come with a CVT which doesn’t even have gears, but it has a manual mode (paddles!) that just simulates shifting gears.

1 Like

And you’re right that manual trannys are a lot simpler than automatics, and are thus a lot cheaper to repair.

Manual transmissions have been my excuse for buying base-model cars for a long time now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cost $1500 less than the automatic version, right out of the gate and are lower maintenance over the life of the car. (on top of the savings of having to shop down-market to get a base model with a manual in the first place! Looking at you Kia Soul :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Just to clarify, these are the types of transmissions on cars these days.

There is a difference between an automatic transmission with manual controls (whether that is flappy paddles or a gearshift lever that moves) and an automated manual transmission like a “Direct Shift Gearbox” (DSG) or a “Sequential Manual Gearbox” (SMG) which is controlled by flappy paddles or can be set to operate fully automatically. The automated manual is generally found only on “sports cars” (i.e. Corvette not RAV4).

Come on…

You know these cars. After 10 years things start wearing out. Just tried to change time in the Lexus. (actually noticed due to daylight savings) Won’t work, so I must now calculate 1hr earlier.

1 Like

Did you reach 88 mph before trying? :rofl:

3 Likes