500 American Silver Eagles - Probably not 2018 - Deal resurrected

And fortunately, it is in a thread of its own, which we can ignore should it become too painful.

3 Likes

ag0030lnb

Don’t sell the box yet, silver could double again! Like in 2010!

Or go even higher! Like never before! Or back down to 15 or 10! Nothing makes sense!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about buying some platinum (eagles, perhaps). It hasn’t had the turbulence of all the other precious metals (have you seen the rhodium chart? It’s like bitcoin!). Platinum must be feeling lonely and is bound for a breakout.

1 Like

Thank you, sullim4, for the kind words.

Am quite certain I do not measure up to the last part, though. I have known a few Newfies in my day, and spent some time among 'em. They are pretty cool, and very rugged, people.

ETA

Do sure wish I owned those 450 acres. In fact, on the south coast I would have gone for 640 acres in order to own a square mile of land. One is a nice round number. I don’t own anything close to that today here in the USA:

Smartest thing I ever did: Bought land

Stupidest thing I ever did: Did not buy enough land

You cannot own too much land. Period

Agreed. That was sort of the thrust of my post. At least all this stuff certainly makes no sense to me.

Well, that was also sort of a point of my post. I never bought the box with any thought of selling. Still have no intent to sell. But maybe had I been a bit smarter back then I would have bought silver as an investment.

Actually, in the overall, the box’s price increase is bad. This is because it comes as an outgrowth of negative events for all of us. I would be much happier if my monster box were down in price from what I paid because everything was rosy and the country and the rest of the world were doing just great.

2 Likes

Couple of things:

First, this “deal” remains alive. Except I think many of you will not think of this as much of a deal now with the current monster box price standing at a lofty US $16,428.25. That is more than double what I paid back in 2018, remembering I purchased with a credit card having a 5% reward.

My monster box remains unopened at this time. I have not re-weighed it in light of events subsequent to its purchase. I suspect however it weighs the same as always. It is instead the “weight” of the US dollar which has shrunk.

On the topic of this thread generally, I’m feeling rather more negative regarding my purchase that I did at the time of the OP over two years ago… This because I most likely will be dead before needing to take advantage of my monster box’s contents. Perhaps someone else will benefit. I hope so.

2 Likes

I have not posted to this thread since early this year. Just returned to take a look and I am dumbfounded by what I’m finding:

The monster box I bought for less than eight grand (used 5% off CC) is now approaching twenty grand in price.

I want to brag about my prescience and superb judgement. I want to. But it would be a big, fat, lie. Truth is, I never saw this coming.

Up thread I stated couple of times that it was “one and done” for me; buy one monster box and call it quits. Not buying as an investment I loftily wrote.

What BS. How stupid was that! Who wouldn’t snag, buy more of, something that has more than doubled in price in such a short space of time.

Thinking now beyond just the silver:

I give up. I’m completely outclassed by such circumstances as this. This is not a world I recognize. Sure, this time I was lucky and things went my way. But I well realize matters could just as easily have gone against me. And I would have been equally blind to that outcome. It’s great the monster box is up more than double. But the larger lesson being taught, one of instability and unpredictability, is not a comfort at all.

1 Like

scary times indeed. as usual, the government is greatly understanding the real rate of inflation

U.S. consumer prices rose to 4.2% in the 12 months through April, the fastest pace since 2008, the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported Wednesday.

The latest reading on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation report exceeded economists’ average estimate for a 3.6% increase, and it compares with a 2.6% increase reported l

2 Likes

If your interest in these coins is other than numismatic, here below is an interesting monster box deal. However, you must buy new, 2021, coins. The others, when available, sell for more:

Buy sealed monster box of 2021 1 oz. silver coins here for south of $16,900!

If you go to the OP and compare that price with the price of the monster boxes in the OP, you will see it’s quite a saving . . . . for anyone who merely wants to purchase silver.

ETA

Cost of shipping on that deal: free :grinning:

Cost of shipping on the deal in the OP is also free

Cost of that deal (just above) now south of $16,600 which is (VERY roughly) three grand less than the coins in the OP.

If you believe inflation is real and you just want to have some silver on hand as a hedge, it’s a decent deal.

That is a considerable premium over spot. (nearly 38%, if I picked the right number for comparison)

Though I am pretty disconnected from what a normal premium to pay on silver rounds would be.
(if you’re able to operate in full ounces, a “fair” deal on gold bullion is 5% over spot though depending on the specific bullion round up to 10% may be “okay” – obviously worse premiums if you get down to smaller denominations)

1 Like

Looks like dealers pay $3 but charge $10 above spot.for Silver Eagles. “silver rounds” that aren’t actual coins should be much cheaper / closer to spot.

I get that “coins” are higher premium than “rounds” – but I still think 38% is outlandish if you’re committing to 500 oz of silver.

2 Likes

In the coins vs. rounds realm I have no regrets about decision to go with the former. It’s because I want silver most likely to be accepted as tender should matters go south. If I ever have to use my Eagles actually to buy stuff, which is why I have them, I believe they will be more acceptable to sellers than hunks of metal I claim is silver.

For me the monster box mentioned in the OP continues to be my sole such purchase. While I have no regrets whatsoever, I also have bought no more silver, or gold for that matter, of any sort. My unopened monster box is for emergency purposes. It is not an investment. I have no plans at present to buy more silver.

3 Likes

Just gonna point out the obvious here. Do not want anyone to be hurt:

The price for the monster box in the OP is well above twenty grand as I write this. And the seller there reserves the right to ship you a monster box from any year.

Yet the link I posted only a few posts up thread will allow you to purchase a monster box, of 2022 coins, for south of seventeen grand!!

Sure, the older coins cost more. That includes now even 2021 coins as we move ever closer to 2022. And if the OP seller were promising to send older coins then maybe his price would be at least in the ballpark.

But, again, the OP seller instead says he will ship coins dated with any date of his choice. So be careful.

ETA

This thread is now three years old. I’m surprised I’m still around to be posting to it!! :grinning:

Anyway, back when I bought my monster box as detailed in the OP they sent me 2016 coins. So in late 2018 those would have been “older” coins, worth more if today’s pricing structure is applied. I have no explanation for this unless pricing circumstances have changed in these last three years.

If I were buying coins today (I’m not) I would purchase the less expensive 2022 coins without hesitation. You get just as much silver, the coins are “closer” to having been minted so have less wear and tear, and within a year or two you’re gonna have nice appreciation as your coins age. Seems like a no brainer to me.

1 Like

You’re the only one surprised. We fully expect your updates on the 2026 monster boxes, which by then, may only be 10% silver. :smile:

3 Likes

I just want to elaborate on that a bit:

These coins have value as being almost pure silver. But the coins are also popular and have numismatic value if in good condition.

Depending on the condition, the age, of the dies when your particular coins are struck, you can end up with a few MS69 or MS70 coins in your monster box. It’s a crap shoot, of course. If your coins were struck with older dies having a bit more wear and tear, their numismatic value will not be as great. But here’s the thing:

These monster boxes are heavy. I mean after all, silver is a heavy metal. A monster box with 500 coins weighs in the vicinity of thirty-five pounds. The coins themselves are in individual tubes and as the heavy boxes are moved about and handled the coins can contact and rub against one another ever so slightly. The more this happens the farther the coins depart from numismatic perfection. Hence:

Older monster boxes, like mine, which likely have been handled and moved about more, are less prone to containing coins of high numismatic value. By contrast:

With a monster box of 2022 coins there will have been less opportunity for damage to the coins owing to that same handling and movement of the box over time. This is the basis for my thinking that it’s smarter to buy a fresh box of the less expensive 2022 coins and then stow it away and sit on it for a few years.

1 Like

So any thoughts about selling your 2016 coins at the higher price, and re-buying 2022 coins at the lower price?

That’s an interesting idea but I’m horrible when it comes to selling anything. I plan to stand pat where I am and let the chips fall where they may.

If I were buying though, which I am not, I would for certain purchase the 2022 coins.

It’s an interesting theory but it does not make sense to me based on what I’ve seen. The prices on the ASE are the same regardless of the year. The only difference with 2021 coins is they introduced a new design for the back of the coin, minted both old and new in 2021, but only the new design will be used going forward. I suppose it is possible that there’s a temporary price difference between the two designs, though it makes little sense as they’re priced on their silver content.

As far as getting them graded, unless you have a friendly coin dealer or some kind of special account with the grading co, it costs more to get them graded than the value obtained from getting some MS69s or MS70s.

2 Likes