Anti-woke investing opportunities

It’s a natural shift if you think cigarettes are going to be outlawed, or your marketing is not up to snuff, no pun-ishness intended. If PMI were to invest in methods to manufacture, store and sell cigarettes that only contain tobacco, they might be embraced by today’s “socially conscious” counter-culture as a “natural” product. Sadly, most well educated MBA types are more risk averse than they should be. They’re more concerned with “stability” that ensures their salaries/bonuses.

1 Like

Their marketing has all but been outlawed. If inhaling ‘clean’ smoke is going to be embraced, it’s going to be marijuana smoke not tobacco. Which I do see being a market that big tobacco inevitably takes over once it reaches a critical mass of legality.

1 Like

In California, we have been inundated with ads about two propositions on online gambling. I’m going to vote against both of them but the sheer volume and money being spent makes it obvious this is a very profitable business. Anyone have ideas of companies that will benefit from igambling?

Here’s an article about the political campaign

Despite the record $340 million spent on two gambling-related state ballot measures this campaign season, both Propositions 26 and 27 are tanking in the polls just six weeks away from the end of the election.

1 Like

Ophthalmologists? :laughing: :rofl: :innocent:

2 Likes

Despite the S&P 500 being down about a quarter percent, DRLL is up 1.7% today.

1 Like

That’s kind of the point, the stocks have been underperforming because of ESG and are a great value today and should set them up for good future returns. You can’t drive a car by only using the rearview mirror.

1 Like

Cross MSFT off the list

1 Like

“Diverse candidates are preferred during hiring and promotions”. They openly discriminate against more qualified people who aren’t considered “diverse” (white heterosexual males). Disgusting.

4 Likes

I just looked up MSFT -31.7% versus the Standard & Poor’s 500 index fund VOO -24.3% YTD. I noticed that google finance gives stocks a climate score! Microsoft gets an A. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t just look at YTD though – MSFT has been on a tear in the last 5-10 years after being down-to-flat for a decade after the tech bubble.

1 Like

As a hiring manager, I was told that for any position to be filled in the United States I had to interview:

At least 1 African-American, black, Hispanic, or Latin candidate, and

At least 1 female candidate.

While I don’t fault the above … too much, other comments imply that you’ve got to hire at least one to move up the ladder. Obviously, you need a double (twofer) to max your chances.

For the person writing the article. it seems obvious that he needs to start transitioning to another gender or species. He should also begin to identify as, at least, Hispanic, if not African, or African-American.

ETA: I think the numbers would look better if he transitioned to a gay, lesbian, African Hispanic [insert endangered species here]. :sunny:

2 Likes

All that gain was before they went woke?

I think it would interesting to see a white male apply for a job and say they identify as a pregnant Native American female. Turn the tables around on them, if they claim otherwise tell them that they are promoting colonialism and transphobic violence.

7 Likes

I doubt it. Article author says he worked there '21-'22. MSFT stock gained ~58% in '21. It’s highly unlikely that their stock performance has much to do with their wokeness, at least until that wokeness starts having an impact on financial performance.

1 Like

It takes a while for the woke policies to do their damage. They miss out on hiring white male top performers and those at the company get tired of the BS and leave for Greener, or is that whiter, pastures.

2 Likes

What? , you mean Balmer’s bluster didn’t translate into gains?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriKM_39cfE

Might work for a sports team, but not a tech company. Best tech CEO’s are nerds ( dare I say typically Indian)

I knew there was something I liked about Jamie

“This Is A Fking War”: Jamie Dimon Slams Biden Begging Saudis For Oil, Says Investors “Don’t Give A Shit” About ESG

In separate - and far more provocative -c omments made earlier in the day during a JPMorgan investor seminar where he led a fireside chat moderated by JPMorgan’s Gergana Thiel, Dimon made some extremely outspoken comments which however you won’t hear on the mainstream media, telling a small group of listeners that was closed to the press that the "President of the Unites States needs to stand up and say we may not meet our 2050 climate objectives because this is a fucking war”.

He also said “time to stop going hat in hand to Venezuela and Saudi and start pumping more oil & gas in the USA”

Echoing what he has said before, Jamie said this is the way the USA maintains its standing, as the future of the world is by pumping more oil and gas and using energy security to ensure Western unity.

And he did say when it comes to ESG “ investors don’t give a shit ” warning not to "cede governance to do-gooder kids on a committee”.

5 Likes

Some anti- woke ETF kicked out PayPal and Visa. They let AT&T back in after they dumped CNN as a holding.

https://www.accesswire.com/720686/American-Conservative-Values-ETF-Announces-Liquidation-of-PAYPAL-and-VISA-Its-Latest-Battle-in-the-War-on-Woke

2 Likes

Good analysis of the politics but their expense ratio, 0.75%, is way too high.

Another company goes woke.

Edit. The protesters are using a new term, womanface, similar to the blackface used by white performers in the 1930s. And by Trudeau of Canada and Northam of Virginia.

Edit. Also uses the term “terf” for trans exclusionary radical feminist. Learn something new every day.

1 Like