Anti-woke investing opportunities

An ETF alternative to the woke major Index fund companies. STRV Tracks the Standard & Poor’s 500 with .0545% fees I will be a buyer.

https://www.strivefunds.com/strv/factsheet

Edit.

I checked into buying this today on my Fidelity account and found out it has a huge bid/ask spread. Do not expect to get in and out fast.

Bid $25 Ask $29

Edit
My mistake. I was checking after market hours. I just bought some when the market was open with 26.73 bid and 26.74 ask

1 Like

researchers calculated the percentage of times a given money management firm voted in favor of these “most egregious examples of policy mandates that would interfere with management’s quest to maximize returns.” From that, grades were handed out – from A’s for firms voting overwhelmingly against ESG proposals to F-'s for those rubber-stamping the destructive leftist rubbish.

Out of the 40 largest money managers, only four earned an A by voting against nearly all ESG offerings. In order of highest-score first, they were Dimensional Fund Advisors, Vanguard, T. Rowe Price and Fidelity.

At the other end of the spectrum, 17 of the top-40 managers earned an F or F-, including Invesco, UBS, American Century, Deutsche Bank, Northern Trust and – at the very bottom of the barrel – Paris-based BNP Paribas. No firms earned a B. The world’s largest money manager, BlackRock, scored a C. State Street got a D.

2 Likes

Mixed news on anti-ESG funds.

Despite the slowing interest in anti-ESG funds, the 27 anti-ESG funds Morningstar tracked had total assets of $2.1 billion at the end of the first quarter. A year earlier, the figure was around $282 million.

STRV is doing well

1 Like

I dont know - without any information about the details, I’d think the disclosure/detailing of lobbying activities would generally be a good thing for shareholders. The rest may even [debatably] be valid issues, but regardless arent appropriate subjects for a corporate board resolution.

Yes, it would be good to know the details, but in general I agree with their votes. On the other hand, I definitely disagree with Blackrock’s radical E.S.G. agenda. BTW “sustainability” is their codeword for the radical climatista policies

Last year we wrote to you that BlackRock was making sustainability our new standard for investing. We outlined how we were making sustainability integral to the way we manage risk, generate alpha, build portfolios, and pursue investment stewardship,

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if this progresses - fiduciary breach cases when ESG funds underperform.

3 Likes

More fiduciary breach from Disney

DISNEY’S DOWNHILL SLIDE

At Breitbart, David Ng notes that the Walt Disney Company has “lost a stunning $890 million on its last eight studio releases, including The Little Mermaid and Elemental, according to a box office analyst.” No doubt that is why Disney’s stock has lost over half of its value since its March 2021 peak.

The company is setting up another huge loss

Disney’s Star Wars has cast its first transgender actor in a major role, hiring British male-to-female YouTube personality Abigail Thorn for the role in the upcoming Disney+ series The Acolyte, according to multiple reports.

Abigail Thorn is reportedly set to play a character named Ensign Eurus in the series, which is expected to begin streaming sometime next year. The Acolyte reportedly takes place during the High Republic period, which is set before the events of the Star Wars movies.

The series has already cast “non-binary” actress Amanda Steinberg in its lead role.

?? Is this some reference to the android in the Star Trek remake series?

1 Like

You’ve just committed the biggest sin of confusing Star Wars and Star Trek. Turn in your nerd card on your way out :smile: .

Also what remake? All the Star Trek series I know are either prequels or sequels.

Blackrock is evil. Consider STRV for your S&P 500 index fund investments.

What he’s saying: “I’m ashamed of being part of this conversation,” Fink said.

• “When I write these [investment] letters, it was never meant to be a political statement. … They were written to identify longterm issues to our longterm investors,” he told the crowd.

Yes, but: When pressed on the statement later in the conversation, Fink backtracked.

• “I never said I was ashamed,” he said, incorrectly. “I’m not ashamed. I do believe in conscientious capitalism.”
  • “I’m not going to use the word ESG because it’s been misused by the far left and the far right,” he added.

Of note: Instead, “we talk a lot about decarbonization, we talk a lot about governance … or social issues, if that’s something we need to addressed,” he said.

1 Like

Blackrock deserves all the bad press they get. They’re preaching ESG to raise assets, and then use some of the worse dirty governance tricks to try to keep captive assets when activists point out they’re trading at $0.90 on the dollar and could they maybe do something about that? Definitely not if it would impair their fee stream revenues, governance be damned.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boaz-weinstein-sues-blackrock-alleging-corporate-governance-failings-11559746961

Phil Goldstein runs Bulldog Investors, an investment-management company that specializes in closed-end funds. He has been a participant in this market for decades.

“By making it virtually impossible for a challenger to win a proxy fight, which BlackRock has done, that really insulates them from being accountable,” Mr. Goldstein said in an interview. “I’m sure Larry Fink wouldn’t like any of the companies BlackRock owns shares in doing something similar to what they themselves are doing here.”

3 Likes

Maybe they should be renamed Weaselrock.

BlackRock also made it more difficult to win a proxy fight for one of the closed-end fund’s board seats by changing election requirements in the fund’s bylaws, the lawsuit said.

Those rules require that in a contested election, incumbent directors and dissident nominees, such as those put up by Saba, receive support from a majority of the shares outstanding.

This standard was put in place by BlackRock without shareholder approval, the lawsuit said. BlackRock said shareholder approval wasn’t required.

1 Like

It was the one that came after Capt. Kirk’s version, with the bald guy as Capt. Didn’t they a have an android in a Spock-like role?

Data?

LOL. I see you’re not a trekkie. I mean, I’m not a trekkie either, but come on, the “bald guy” is a legend! I didn’t watch those old series, so I’m only guessing that you’re making a computer joke, but I dunno.

That’s the guy, and now my joke doesn’t make sense because he is definitely binary.

The bald guy may be a legend, but the only Star Trek I’ve seen since Capt. Kirk’s show are the Star Trek movies and the series with a hot blond cyborg and a female captain who, shockingly, got lost.

I watched some movies and the new series (Discovery, Picard). Discovery actually has multiple gay and non-binary characters (played by gay and non-binary actors). The main story lines and special effects are great.

Picard might be fun to watch for anyone who watched TNG (a.k.a. “the bald captain”) as they brought some of the original actors back together, including Seven of Nine (a.k.a “a hot blond cyborg”).

1 Like

InBev doubles down

2 Likes

That daily mail article isn’t really fair - Bud Light has sponsored all sorts of parades and events for decades, covering all walks of life, with many including such scenes as the article calls out. This feels more like piling on just cause you can.

1 Like

You are the one who is adding your negative interpretation. The Daily Mail is just reporting the facts. TranHeuser Busch is perfectly happy with naked men Twerking in front of children.

On a related front, they are giving away Bud light. I don’t think it will be enough to regain their first place “sales” rank.

1 Like

I am sort of late to the party on the whole Bud Light discussion, but my 2 cents:

I agree with onenote. I don’t think the target was the trans market - it was the leftist market. Specifically, young gen Z’ers who are in the early-to-mid 20s which as a unit strongly tilt left. I work with a number of these people and I can say that Bud Light is nowhere on their radar. It is/was definitely an opportunity for them to sell more beer. Even in “liberal” markets like Seattle, pre-Mulvaney you saw older folks ordering Bud Lights at the horse race track, bowling alley, sporting events, etc. But the young people wouldn’t touch the stuff.

I think this was a play at trying to look “cool” and get in with the younger generation and it backfired horribly. I don’t think it was intended to make a political statement, but that’s exactly what it did. Their core market was the segment of low to moderate income men who tend to be sports fans who like cheap drinks. The Mulvaney video goes viral, and now bam, nobody wants to be the guy ordering a Bud Light at the bar or someone serving it at a party.

I have no doubt that InBev as a corporation was quite supportive of this community - most corporations are under social pressure to do so rather than sit on the sidelines. But nobody cared or noticed until the video went viral and now it’s all under a microscope.

The right move for them for this demographic? Focus on their microbrew portfolio. They own some halfway decent labels (Elysian, for instance) that have sort of withered on the vine recently. If they insist on some sort of June marketing push towards pride month, then pick Elysian and do the marketing under that label rather than Bud Light. That was such a stupid move by whoever green-lit that campaign.

Me personally - I never drank Bud Light unless it was the only reasonable alcoholic option and I specifically wanted an alcoholic drink to be sociable. I am not a believer in these boycotts on either side, so if I had been a customer, I’d likely continue to be. Especially at the prices a bottle of Bud Light is selling for now.

2 Likes