Any benefit to additional amex cards?

We’re not applying for new AXP cards but when there are offers to add AUs for statement credit or starpoints, I add AU cards.

They are valuable to me since I get the juicy offers on them everytime they come around.

1 Like

That’s the thing: I didn’t even get the chance to complete an FR. I didn’t lie about anything and could’ve easily passed had they given me the chance. Instead, they just closed all of my cards.

2 Likes

You have to be leaving something out. Were you MSing, adding/removing AUs a lot, something like that? There’s always a reason.

3 Likes

MSing? Yeah, a bit.

5 Likes

Well, when Amex shut me down, I owed them about $80,000. That was for about two months of MS.

4 Likes

That’s better than some of the jokes I’ve heard recently.

2 Likes

A major benefit is the offers they have on cards of so much off (i.e. spend $125, get $25 credit). These can be worthwhile, especially since authorized users also get these offers.

I ended up with 3 Hilton amex. Ascend and aspire plus the Citi converted ascend. Plan to downgrade the ascends – the “new” one at 18 months since it gets a free weekend night at first renewal. The Citi converted just before next year’s annual fee.

I called the retention department about the Citi converted one (AF Posted last December). Received offer 5k points instant or 20k points if $3k spend in 90 days, took the 2nd. The Citi converted accounts get a weekend night after $10k spend plus another at $15k for this first year. So, I get 20k pts (~$100 value) after $3k spend, then a night after $7k more, and finally another night with $5k more. Gonna try throwing most of my income tax on it and reducing payroll deductions.