Any way to cancel a Paypal friends and family payment?

If they have it they are holding on to it. If it doesn’t get claimed, why cant I ask to get it back? It’s not like I paid for for something and he took the money. If you gave a friend $12 and told him to bring back lunch for the both of you, and he doesn’t, shouldn’t you get that money back?

I don’t know why you keep saying “claimed”? The money isn’t freely floating around in cyberspace waiting for someone to reach out and grab it; when you sent the funds it was added to the recipient’s account. It’s no longer your money, it’s their money.

Yes, you “should” get it back, but again, besides asking nicely the only way to get it back would be to sue him. There’s no other way to force the money back into your hands if he doesn’t want to/can’t send it back to you.

2 Likes

Of course, but that’s not the question you originally asked. You asked if you could get the money back from the guy that was supposed to buy lunch, but the guy disappeared. How are you supposed to get your money back if you can’t find him? Paypal already gave him the money. This is between you and the lunch money thief.

Consider this… You and lunch money thief walk into the bank and you withdraw $12 from your account and hand it to him, and then he deposits it into his account. Then you both leave the bank. Then you come back a week/month/year later and tell the teller that you gave lunch money thief $12, but he never gave you lunch. What do you think the teller is going to say? Then you ask the teller to look in lunch money thief’s account and see if $12 is sitting there. You think the teller is going to look? Let’s say for some reason, she does. Do you think she will be convinced that the fact that there is $12 sitting there that she should just hand it over to you? I mean, why would that $12 be there unless it was all a big mistake, right? I sure wouldn’t do business with a bank that thought about my money like that when some other customer questions my $12 balance out of nowhere. Do you now see how silly it sounds for Paypal to do what you are saying they should do?

2 Likes

Similar q as OP, but I sent it as a service. My cousin doesn’t want to claim it due to new IRS rules. Can he refuse to accept or refund?