Any worries having a lot of money in online banks with no paper trails?

OP

I agree paper is incredibly twentieth century. But I also take your point that you, that we all, need in our possession some sort of record, some sort of proof of account.

One suggestion I have is to, first, bring up your account listings on your screen, then photograph the screen or do a screen capture and store that information digitally at home. This way there is no paper, but you nevertheless can reproduce a record of your account balances should you ever be challenged. With luck the bank or credit unionā€™s logo will appear as well on the page you photograph or capture, adding to authenticity.

1 Like

But will that work if the bank has a system wide failure such that ALL depositors records are wiped? Is the bank going to believe everyone that does that? Not hard to photoshop $10,000 to $100,000 as your account balance.

But what exactly are you worried about? An intentional breach or just a hard drive failure? The bankā€™s information is replicated across various systems almost instantaneously. Then they most likely have physical backup tapes actually physically stored and locked up somewhere with information thatā€™s too old to be kept accessible.

Most will keep information in a variety of data centers across the country/world so a fire or physical breach of one data center doesnā€™t wipe out the information. I donā€™t know that much about banks, but in other industries, its pretty rare for the company to run its own data centers. And a company like Amazon or Equinix just simply wouldnā€™t let a bank run on its system without shelling out for appropriate data replication, etc. If a bank is storing all its data on some shared hosting server with web.com then you should be worried, but Iā€™d hope the regulators would have something to say about that.

As someone else mentioned - all money in/out involves a third party somewhere. If two different entitiesā€™ data is destroyed at the same time, then itā€™s true that you probably canā€™t recreate, but this can happen to any small bank regardless of whether theyā€™re online based or not. Iā€™d even argue that its more likely the online based bank would be less likely to suffer such a catastrophic data loss because their entire structure is online, meaning they certainly have people who understand data security and the importance of replication.

1 Like

Not really worried as much as just thinking out loud of the what ifs from having money in a bank without so much as a paper document to prove itā€™s or my existence.

While not an online bank, the ongoing issues at British bank TSB reminded me of this thread. I donā€™t know if there are legal or regulatory differences that might make this kind of scenario less likely here.

1 Like
1 Like

This is why I keep all my money under my mattress.

1 Like

That headline though! They didnā€™t lose personal financial histories, they lost a copy of personal financial histories.

Yep. I couldnā€™t resist posting it here. :wink: