Article: It's Cheaper to Uber Than Own a Car in Chicago, Washington DC, New York, and Los Angeles

FWIW, the api to google maps still shows the surge pricing factor, although it’s not always exactly in sync.

1 Like

It does? They are moving forward with the legal framework, sure. And the Audi popup system looks awesome. But it’s still just a concept – all videos are CG and the piece in the photo is probably just an empty shell. The actual demo of another company mentioned in the article (video) doesn’t look impressive at all. Check how stiff the passenger is (because heavy head), and this is with a ridiculous array of motors.

Back in 2010 I lived in Chi for awhile. Had a car, and it was a liability. Was delighted to get rid of it (parking costs, street sweeping moving, etc). When I’d travel home I’d rent a car. Otherwise, public transit all the way. I wish Uber had been around then for the odd Costco run.

1 Like

There is a new app called Bellhop that lets you compare prices and availability from most local ride services - Uber, Lyft, Curb, and taxi companies - and order from just one site. I haven’t used it myself but some find it useful:

https://bellhop.app/

5 Likes

This thread has given me some thought. Here, a city in Eastern Washington, there’s no real downside to owning a vehicle other than cost. I insure and pay licenses for a HD diesel truck, two cars, a boat, trailer, and motorcycle. My other expenditure was to pave my driveway. The annual licensing isn’t so bad, either - the truck costs the most at $100/yr.

You guys keep worrying about who’s gonna show up when you Uber. LOL.

Garage it. And yes, I know that costs money. But it snows.

Don’t forget you don’t have to renting isn’t a all or nothing proposition. You could easily rent a car for a portion of the trip, or day by day. Recently I needed a car. Walked over from my hotel, and was driving out within 30 mins. Returned it at the end of the day, so no parking costs. If you’re planning on doing this, I’d make sure your hotel is within a decent walking distance.

2 Likes

Another study done by AAA shows it’s cheaper to own. At than use ride share factoring packing in major cities. See here

1 Like

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t expect an AAA study to ever show owning a car is more expensive than not.

Once the human driver is no longer there and perhaps if electricity is cheap enough, I expect sharing a car will be much cheaper especially during the day when most people are at work and cars can be used rather than sitting in a parking lot. I think “peak” weekdays (to/from) work are still a problem.