Bank of America incorrectly did two hard pulls on same date; won't fix it

There’s still no police report. You aren’t claiming I’d theft.

You don’t know where it came from. You thought it was from BoA but BoA said it wasn’t them…

3 Likes

I said nothing about claiming attempted credit theft. When you disputed it as a duplicate, you walked BofA down that path and to their response that their system says your credit was only pulled once for that application. The fact is, you really do not have any idea where the second inquiry came from, you are only guessing. When you dispute the inquiry, use facts, not guesses.

And when you say you do not know why the inquiry was made, you absolutely do not need to “start with filing a police report”.

One of 3 things happened - BofA pulled your credit twice for this application. The BofA system, separate from your actual application, pulled your credit for some unknown reason. Or TU in fact had a data glitch. BofA verified they only pulled your credit once as part of the application. Which means you need to pursue one of the two remaining possibilities, or just let it go. “But but but but they’re wrong!” isnt going to get you anywhere with anyone.

3 Likes

The inquires on the report say what entity each is from, and provides contract info. So, presumably OP knows the source IS Boa.

There are no “anonymous” hard inquires.

Well, obviously. But an inquiry does NOT state that it is “regarding credit card application xyz”. When I say he’s guessing, I thought it was pretty clear I mean he’s guessing as to why BofA made each of the 2 inquiries.

2 Likes

Sorry if I misinterpreted your suggestion. Taking the stance that the second inquiry was from an “unknown apparently rogue source that had no permissible purpose” sounds to me like I should take the position that someone was attempting to obtain credit in my name. TransUnion suggested that approach would get more attention from BoA but I am absolutely not going to go that route as it would require that I file a police report. And no matter what claim I had that the inquiry was incorrect, it would still be BoA that must say it should be removed. Not me. Not TransUnion.

BoA’s position is not simply that they didn’t make the second inquiry. Their position is that there IS no second inquiry because they said so. But they make that stance without any consideration of what is actually on my TU credit report, which I have provided to them, and to which they have easy access on their own. That’s the part of this saga that I find atrocious … that they can deny that it exists, and they are unwilling to put into a sentence that if there is a duplicate, it should be deleted. That simple. No one needs to figure out how it got there, and no one is blamed … just a simple sentence to say it shouldn’t be there. But BoA won’t do that because … they say it isn’t there.

No it wouldn’t. Stop thinking about this as a crime. You don’t know where it came from. It says BoA, so you asked BoA and they said it wasn’t them. So you tell the CRA that BoA said they did not make that inquiry, and you don’t know where else it could have come from.

2 Likes

It may be a trivial process, but without an errant inquiry showing on their screen, the BofA Rep requesting removal would likely violate any number of BofA policies and procedures. I said it could be hard because you’re expecting them to to fix an error when they arent seeing any error to fix. Especially when their procedure to remove inquiries likely involves clicking on the inquiry record and selecting a “remove” checkbox, which auto-generates the required request for TU. You cant seriously expect the BofA Rep to hand draft a personalized request to remove an inquiry based solely on your claim that it’s there despite their own system saying otherwise?

I wouldnt even go that far - he only disputed it as a duplicate, which BofA said it wasnt. It could’ve just as easily (for an example) been a second pull after the application had been processed, meaning it would show as part of the account history, but not as part of the application (which is what he had claimed). Or his application inadvertently triggered a pull associated with an old account he had with the bank (that may be closed, or may have not been closed completely/properly).

There’s any number of possibilities. The only thing for certain is OP’s insistence on merely continuing to scream “Yes it was!” isnt going to accomplish anything.

1 Like

No, their position is that they didnt make the second inquiry as part of your application. Because your complaint focused them on your application, instead of just on the fact their system pulled your credit.

You’re crazy if you really expect a bank, or anyone regarding anything, to make such a statement based solely on your claim. And then just ignore why the issue (supposedly) happened.

How many times do I have to say that I never would consider thinking of this as identity theft or a crime? If glitch99 was not suggesting I take that stand, then let’s move that discussion off the table.

I’ve been on the phone with TU and BoA many times. TU has no doubts that the inquiry came from BoA. And yes, I’m caught in the middle. But I am not TransUnion’s customer and I have to say they have been much more reasonable about this than BoA has, and I am BoA’s customer.

That is absolutely what I expect. They should want to solve this for their customer.

Wait … are you taking BoA’s side that there are not two inquiries shown from BoA on the same date? This despite my being alerted to two inquiries from multiple monitoring services, despite Credit Karma showing me in their view of my TU report that there were two, and despite my having my TU credit report obtained directly from TU showing there are two?

You are the only one who’s put crimes and identity theft on the table. Which would be just as much a guess as claiming it was a duplicate from your application.

“I do not recognize this inquiry.” Period. Full stop. Nothing but fact.

1 Like

I’m saying that BofA is a huge, bloated, bureaucratic beast of a monstrosity, so who knows from where or why the second inquiry occurred. You keep harping on it being a duplicate pull for your application, so that’s what they have checked - and it apparently was not. And that’s before considering the duplicate may in fact be a ghost created by a TU data glitch instead of an actual second inquiry.

That’s not claiming the second inquiry doesnt exist on your credt report, it’s saying it doesnt exist as part of your application, and the source is something other than what you have guessed. And without knowing the source, they arent going to blindly remove it just because you asked nicely. Even if you are actually 100% correct, you still need to play along until BofA arrives at that conclusion on their own. “Just trust me!” may be easier for you, but it ain’t gonna help any.

1 Like

You’re the one that keeps talking about filing a police report. Glitch said there is an inquiry on your report that you don’t recognize. And BoA said it wasn’t them. You insist that what glitch told you to say would require the filing of a police report. I’m saying this has nothing to do with a police report because there’s no crime. You said that you agree that there is no crime, but keep talking about a police report.

2 Likes

This is what I was referring to. I’m saying that making that statement you put in quotes (although I wouldn’t say it that way) does not necessitate a conclusion that a crime has been committed. Which means it does not require a police report.

1 Like

Perhaps that was phrased a bit too slanted. But like you say, I was just meaning to say that something somewhere made an inquiry it wasnt supposed to. Could it be a criminal trying to get credit in OP’s name or a fraudulent “creditor” using BofA’s info as a mask? Sure, potentially, but that’d also be just a guess. Most likely it’s just a computer error somewhere. But all you know for certain is that it shouldnt be there.

Exactly! And better than that, BoA stipulates that a second inquiry shouldn’t be there! But getting from there to getting it removed is the dead end.

I do understand that you don’t have the full context of the significant time I’ve spent on the phone with TU, and multiple areas within BoA, including their credit bureau relations office, and their regulatory office (as a result of the formal complaint).

I will say once more that I’m stuck between two non-negotiable positions:

TransUnion says that they cannot remove what appears to them to be a legitimate second inquiry from BoA unless BoA specifically uses the words in writing that it can be removed or deleted. Why I think it is there, or even if I’m totally baffled about why it is there, is immaterial to them. They believe BoA meant to put it there and that’s the end of the story from their perspective.

BoA says they did considerable research to see if a second inquiry from BoA was made on that date and they determined there was not. Therefore, their position is that it isn’t there, and they do not want to soft pull my TU report, or look at the PDF copy of it I sent them, or the screen shots showing that it is there.

That’s the position I’m in, and I’m just sharing it as a data point. I don’t think further discussion on it is useful.

NOOOOO! BofA has said they didnt make the second inquiry as part of your application. That is NOT “stipulating that it shouldnt be there”, it’s eliminating one of the many reasons why it might be there.

So the ball is back on TU’s court. Either follow up or dont.

1 Like

It sounds like BofA has said they didn’t make the second inquiry at all, not just “as part of his application.” But they obviously did.

I agree @StatGren, you have indeed hit a dead end.

1 Like

There’s an inquiry on StatGren’s credit report that StatGren did not authorize. Glitch has provided guidance on the solution. StatGren instead seems to be focusing on the problem (BoA/TU/whoever made an error) and not the solution (how to get the inquiry removed). Glitch has provided the answer, but StatGren thinks that in order to proceed that way, a police report would have to be filed.

So there is certainly a dead-end if the only solution that is acceptable would be for BoA to have TU remove the inquiry. But it doesn’t appear (yet) that there is a dead-end with respect to getting the inquiry removed from the TU report.

1 Like