Best and worst places in the USA to retire

Love the Roth conversion idea too. Any way to mitigate fed tax also?

Only mitigation for federal taxes on Roth conversions is to spread it out and keep it in a bracket you’re comfortable with.

2 Likes

It’s certainly easier to make a conversion when there’s not a 9.3% anchor tied to you in the form of California’s upper middle income tax rate ($117-600k for MFJ, half that for singles). I would definitely convert to the top of the 24% federal tax bracket in this scenario, and maybe even the 32% ($207k single/$414k MFJ). Earlier conversion also reduces taxable income for things like IRMAA (an effective 3.7-3.9% additional tax) and could make one qualify for things like “low income” senior discounts (couples with taxable income under $72k and singles under $63k, for example, qualify to be exempt from the LA County stormwater tax).

1 Like

Anyone who is able to inherit their parents home after they retire themselves is extremely fortunate. Considering how little control one has over that, I’m not so sure how useful it is as retirement advice.

4 Likes

Yes its just downtown in certain areas certain times.

I live outside Portland city limits. Wouldn’t know its happening other than the news.

1 Like

Good point but are there deferment vehicles to address this windfall/ inheritance type situation, assuming one can wait to move to a low tax state? I have heard of CA going after people who move though (thankfully not AZ)

1 Like

I just wish I could do conversions from now. But I think you need to be 59.5 or no longer employed with employer that has your 403b/401a/401k, neither of which is gonna happen before marginal fed tax rates increase I’m afraid. :frowning:

1 Like

So do you pray for a drought?