Brokerage firms and bonuses discussion

There are several variants - MLB, US Pride. I triev to product change my old Merrill+ card to US Pride, they said I could only change it to BofA Cash Rewards. I was fine with having two BofA Cash Rewards though.

1 Like

Here are the current E-trade offers. I understand, that if you bring money over for both IRA and a taxable brokerage, they will use the total and divide the money among the accounts.

" The table below provides details about the various offer tiers.

Deposit Amount Cash Credit
$25,000-$99,999 $200
$100,000-$249,999 $500
$250,000-$499,999 $1,000
$500,000-$999,999 $1,500
$1,000,000+ $2,500
2 Likes

That was my experience. The total bonus earned was divided proportionally based on the assets in each account.

1 Like

ProfessorEd,
is there an ETrade link, or is this ETrade offer one of those that you have to call to get?

E*TRADE those offers are public

https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/brokerage

If you want more than $2500 for more than 1M, give them a call :).

Thanks xerty. I saw that E*Trade web page today earlier. Not as good as what Professor Ed published, for example only $600 bonus vs $1000 bonus at the $250k level. Wish I was able to flip around more than $1M in each brokerage!

I did speak with my TDA rep and mentioned the offer out there for TD Bank customers. He is going to try matching that for me, even though I’m not a TD bank customer. He didn’t seem too confident they would allow it.

Does ETrade report the bonus as income to the IRS?
I guess I know the answer but…

I think most do it for $600+, that’s the reporting threshold I think. Don’t have experience for less than that recently to know for sure.

1 Like

Here is the current Amertrade schedule, from their representative.They may be in a position to negotiate if there were offers from other firms.

· $250,000 - $499,999 … $350 cash

· $500,000 - $999,999 … $700 cash

· $1,000,000+ … $1,500 cash

1 Like

Hustler Money blog has been useful in keeping up with offers available… What used to be a long list has shrunk to few The major attractive one is from ally Investments, which is below (and which does appear to be better than the Amertrade one above .

(Expires 12/31/2020)

Here’s a breakdown of what you can get:

Bonus Amount Deposit or Transfer Amount
$3,500 and free trades $2M+
$2,500 and free trades $1M – $1.99M
$1,200 and free trades $500k – $999.9k
$600 and free trades $250k – $499.9k
$300 and free trades $100k – $249.9k
$200 and free trades $25k – $99.9k
$50 and free trades $10k – $24.9k

How To Earn The Cash Bonus

EARN UP TO $3500 BONUS EARN THE TRANSFER FEE CREDIT

Cash Bonus:

• Funding – Accounts must be opened by the expiration date and funded within 60 days of account opening.
  • The qualifying deposit to open the new account must be from outside Ally Invest.
  • The new account must be funded with a minimum qualifying deposit of $10,000 or more to receive the Minimum Cash Bonus and Commission-Free Trades for up to 90 days Bonus.
  • The minimum qualifying funds to receive bonus offer must remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of 90 days from the date of funding.
  • Accounts will receive the specified credit, depending on the initial deposit amount, deposited into the account within ten (10) days of meeting the qualifying requirements.
  • Once the account is credited, the bonus and initial qualifying deposit is not available for withdrawal for 300 days after the requirements have been met.
  • If the qualifying deposit(s) are removed the bonus payout may be revoked.
    See the table below for the deposit required for each bonus amount.

Does anyone have the better Ameritrade or E-Trade referral link? If so, can you post it or DM me? Thanks!

calwatch, I been looking for the past few months, things have dried up somewhat since last year. Keep thinking/hoping some better deals in my account size ranges will come up, but no luck.

2 Likes

Would be grateful for any advice/counsel you can offer. I own only a single stock. Within the last six months I followed orders and sent in my (paper) stock certificates. My stock ownership is now recorded electronically at a company called Computershare, in Louisville, KY. As best I can tell, Computershare is unable to assist me if I want to sell all or a portion of my shares. Which brings me to the subject of this thread:

What is my best bet right now, where should I turn, for help? I assume I would have to transfer my shares, electronically, from Computershare to a brokerage firm of some sort? Is that right? Their value is roughly 60 grand. Could I qualify for some sort bonus today if I did that?

If I sound lost, it is because I’m lost.

You can probably call computer share and sell if you want, although their commissions are bad and they aren’t really a broker - more just an agent who holds shares. If you want to buy and sell your stock, I would get a retail brokerage account at TD Ameritrade, Etrade, etc. once you open one, they will be happy to help you transfer that stock position into your account, and then you’ll be able to buy and sell it, or anything else that strikes your fancy, for free (no commissions these days).

Looks like you could get $200 for that much at E*TRADE, not seeing anything for that amount from TDA.

3 Likes

Thank you, xerty. That is really helpful. I know nothing whatsoever about this stock stuff.

You might be charged a fee to transfer the shares. Before you transfer, you can ask the receiving broker if they will reimburse the fee. For 60 grand, they would, but ask before the transfer.

3 Likes

Never a bad idea, although I have had TDA pick up $100k or so worth of stock from a transfer agent a few times in the past and never had any fee issues, either on the agent or the broker’s side, so I wouldn’t sweat it. The retail brokers are more than happy to get more assets.

3 Likes

Back on the topic of this thread, Stockpile is waiving credit card fees for stock purchases, if you’re interested. I’m probably going to hit them for a decent amount for purchases I was intending to make anyway. [Expired] Stockpile: Waiving Fees For All Giftcard Purchases (11/26-11/29), Use Promo BLKFRI2020 - Doctor Of Credit

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this type of offer from E*Trade before where you have one set of rewards for new customers and a lower set of rewards for the loyal customers, all in a single promotion:
https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/winback

5 Likes

$3500 for a one mil transfer is one of the highest I have seen.

1 Like