Buying a lot to build a house - what to watch out for?

I expect stress levels to raise and also get curveballs throughout this process.

We are trying to be realistic in this approach - we are staying in our currently owned home and do not have a specific timeline for this project. Hopefully that’ll lessen some of the burden, but probably not. :grin:

I hope that’s only internally, within your family? Because not having a timeline brings forth a slew of other potential issues. Namely, contractors need deadlines. Even if you dont really care if they’re done by a specific time, they have to believe you will care if they’re not done by a specified time. Or else they’ll literally never get done.

4 Likes

Definitely. They’ll put all their energy into the 3 other jobs that are beating them up about finishing.

Yes, internal timeline. I will be holdings others accountable based on their stated timeline.

Even then, be careful. You’re unclear about who’s stating this timeline - you need to dictate what you expect, not expect what they dictate.

1 Like

Noted.

I’m guessing there needs to be a payment schedule worked out. You shouldn’t have to pay if the work isn’t completed.

Oops! I do have a small bit of advice. As you’re searching for a builder, find other homes he has built, particularly 5+ years ago. Inquire of the owner if they would change anything. I recommend finding the homes via building permits as opposed to the ones that the builders might offer.

1 Like

This one is so true.

It’s been many years since we built our home. We paid for all the materials as the builder needed items were requested. Put a lot of $$ (miles) on my credit card.

Does this happen with licensed & bonded contractors? Or just people who claim to be contractors without the appropriate legal documentation and protections?

1 Like

Get to know the best real estate lawyer in town. The one no one wants to mess with. Keep that firm on retainer. Best couple of grand you’ll spend. Have them review your GC contract and the GC’s contracts with the subs.

2 Likes