CD Discussion Thread

If anyone is interested, Patelco Credit Union has a 11mo CD at 3.50% APY with a $250 minimum deposit. Easy membership requirement by joining the Financial Fitness Assoc ($8).

2 Likes

Treasuries for 1 year are paying 3.95-4% currently.

https://home.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/TextView?type=daily_treasury_yield_curve&field_tdr_date_value_month=202209

6 Likes

Yes, certainly that would be my preference, but some people like to stick to CDs. Thanks!

I’m still trying to figure out the better option concerning the Langley FCU offer of 16 mo CD @4%. Listening to glitch99, advice, a 16 mo CD is to short a period of time for placement of funds right now. Better times ahead.

But on the other hand it seems that many of us will have old cd’s that will be maturing in 2023. We’ll be searching for placement for those funds also.

I actually have money in savings drawing 2% and less right now. So that old saying “bird in the hand”, seems to fit in this situation.

Decision’s , decision’s!! :blush:

NFCU still has the 3% 20-month add-on CD available to 9-30-22. I delayed because I was expecting a rate rise.

2 Likes

See

1 Like

1-7 year treasuries are in the 4-4.25% range, just for comparison to any CDs people might be considering. 10 year just barely missed 4% today.

https://home.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/TextView?type=daily_treasury_yield_curve&field_tdr_date_value_month=202209

3 Likes

The one factor with NFCU is that it’s an add-on. So opening it up with $500 gives you a place you know you can add funds to a year from now, should rates start to crash.

I dont know if I will eventually run into a downside, but I’ve been happily buying Treasuries and brokered CDs through TD Ameritrade. Much easier than having to set up a new account and transfer money before being able to make each purchase.

TDA currently has a 7 year CD that pays close to 5%. But it’s callable, so I doubt it’d survive a dramatic drop in rates. Does anyone have much experience with callable CDs, and in practical terms how often do banks tend to use that option?

2 Likes

TDAmeritrade has brokered CDs for 2-, 3-, 4-, 5-, and 7-year terms yielding 4.15-4.35%.

1 Like

Capital One has a 5 year brokered CD at Vanguard for 4.5%!

4 Likes

Mind your Capital One FDIC Maximums

Effective October 1, Capital One Bank (USA), N.A. (FDIC certificate number 33954), is merging with Capital One Bank, N.A. (FDIC certificate number 4297). The combined issuer will be known as Capital One Bank, N.A., and will retain FDIC certificate number 4297. Current holders of brokered deposits of the two issuing banks are grandfathered with FDIC coverage, according to current account-level coverage limits. Additional purchases of Capital One CDs (including Capital One Bank [USA], N.A., FDIC certificate number 33954 in the secondary market), when combined with current holdings in either bank, may be covered only up to the current account-level coverage limits.

3 Likes

Very important information for those with Capitalone360 accounts.

Thank you – you are what makes this site great.

Capital One and Discover, both at 4.5%.

Now the question is, do we hold out for 5%, or lock in now? I’m still not convinced that rates arent going to suddenly do a 180, and do so with virtually no advance indications. Most likely we’ll be well into 2023 before it happens, but there’s still a risk from waiting.

1 Like

Or buy it through a broker now, wait for the inevitable “we’re harming the most vulnerable, let’s drop rates” moment, and sell … or gloat. :slight_smile:

Are these non-callable new CDs? I wonder how liquid they will be if you need to sell them before maturity?

2 Likes

Where do we find these listings? I’ve checked Capital One and don’t see it.

Yes. They also have some callable ones that are even higher (about 4.9%).

I think they’ll remain plenty liquid, but if rates keep going up it’ll cost you to sell early. I dont know if it’s even possible to redeem them early (paying a fixed early withdrawal penalty, as oppose to selling them).

1 Like

You buy them through a brokerage account, like Fidelity, Vanguard, or T D Ameritrade. It’s similar to buying a stock, except that it’s [obviously] a CD. Besides not buying it directly in an account with the issuing bank, the biggest (only?) difference is that these CDs usually only pay interest twice/year instead of monthly.

2 Likes

A lot of us have one of those GTE 3.3% 5 year add-on jumbo CDs, that just started year 4 of the 5-year term.

I am not an advocate of breaking a CD early, and the 180-day penalty really blunts the benefit of doing so. However, dont forget that you can make a penalty-free withdrawal of your accumulated dividends - which for $100k+ over 3+ years, can be a pretty decent sum.

With CD rates starting to clear 4.5% (the brokered ones mentioned above), it’s to the point of being advantageous to withdraw your dividends and put them in a new CD that pays significantly more than GTE’s 3.3%. You do need to call GTE, rather than request it online, but they do call-backs if the wait queue is long, and it’s a very quick process once you do get connected to someone.

This is not just a GTE feature, the ability for penalty-free withdrawals of dividends/interest is generally true for all CDs. It isnt the right answer for everyone, but it is worth at least considering.

1 Like

I agree but why now. Rates are still going up. I would consider withdrawing proceeds from GTE CD but not while the Fed is increasing rates. I think it makes more sense to wait a few months.