CD Discussion Thread

Yes, as shinobi originally stated & I have started checking back. I found a sheet from CNYPCUG that stated right in front on me, " Through a special arrangement with Empower FCU members qualify for membership in the credit union.".

So there, I have ammunition to give to a rep or supervisor. I originally e-mailed a copy of my membership payment of $25. I’m ready now!!

I’m uncertain of the context of that comment. The rate is not great compared, for example, with Sharonview’s 4% five year CD, which no longer is available. And there have been other “no longer available” CDs in the last year of similar terms with higher rates.

But I just went in heavy at Empower at both 18 months and at two years. And here is why:

At 18 months I will receive a minimum APY of 2.90%. The Christmas giveback bonus can reasonably be anticipated to move that number up to between 3.05% and 3.33% APY. Looking at Ken’s charts for 18 month certificates, the highest in the USA right now is at Andrews FCU. Their 17 month CD is paying 2.95% APY. The second best on Ken’s chart is Empower itself at 2.90%. And incidentally, I reconfirmed with the Empower folks that the Christmas giveback bonus remains an Empower feature. They did correct me a little, pointing out that the giveback, while it happens during the Christmas holiday season, is not customarily announced on Christmas day, but instead a few days later.

My two year CD pays a base rate of 2.95% APY. Looking again at Ken’s charts, that rate is higher than any nationwide rate. And this does not take into consideration the Christmas giveback bonus. I anticipate an actual APY of between 3.09% and 3.39%, with the giveback.

As always, Ken lists local-only and regional-only CD deals which yield a little more than the above. But at this time I believe the Empower rates are very good. Course it would be great today to have rates same as they were back at the peak. But back then I had no money to invest . . . . . . . at least not unless I had cashed in some CDs early and paid the penalty. I didn’t do that because, at the peak, nobody rings a bell to let everyone know it’s the peak. So I didn’t know.

Since @pattyb53 has indicated she has documentation that says the exact same thing @shinobi said I think the answer is self evident.

You may be right Argyll.

Even with this document, they may or probably will say NO. They liked shinobi 10 years ago. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Kids, stop it. Don’t make me stop this car.

Argyll is right … there is absolutely nothing on the Empower’s website indicating that membership in some PC user’s group qualifies you for membership. Nothing. Yet, if during the course of your applying for membership you can convince someone with the right authority that you should be able to join, then you are in. It’s that simple. Let us know how that goes.

1 Like

Early morning update, information not yet on Ken’s website though it probably will be, soon:

NFCU now offering a sweet 18 month CD having 3.00% APY. This CD, as always at NFCU, is easy to open online.

Also, at least so far, the NFCU five year CD rate of 3.5% APY is holding. How much longer only God knows, with rates elsewhere tumbling and with a Fed rate cut widely anticipated on Wednesday.

Both of the above are effective and available on 07/29/2019.

1 Like

I posted the above twelve days ago. The “this morning” there refers to twelve days ago! The writing speaks for itself, but only to those who actually read it.

I warned the information could be bad. Any info you get from a rep can be bad. But I was told just twelve days ago that CNYPCUG remains a valid way into Empower. I would not have posted that information twelve days ago otherwise. Period.

I also posted that, more recently. As the post suggests, Empower’s list of qualifying organizations is neither on their website nor instantly available to reps. Only their employers list is on the website. The rep who took my call had to look elsewhere to find the organization list, and it took her extra time to locate it, as I mentioned before.

Discussion Empower vs. NFCU

Q: So shin, did you not see coming this new NFCU 18 month deal? It was only last week that you dumped a whole lot of 18 month CD money into Empower at a lower rate . . . at least a lower nominal rate. Any regrets?

I did not see the NFCU 18 month deal coming. I had no clue and I was taken completely by surprise earlier today. The NFCU deal is still better considering one needs only $1000 to obtain a rate higher than what it takes $100,000 at Empower to achieve. Thus, NFCU will work for many more folks than will the Empower deal. This is a good thing.

Nevertheless, I have no concerns or regrets. I fully anticipate, at Empower with their giveback, besting that 3.00% APY level. However, 3% is a great CD APY at 18 months. I certainly expect to get some of that NFCU action for myself later this week. Since the deal only went live a few hours ago, it should remain available for a while. First, though, I think I will pile on just a bit more of the NFCU five year action. The NFCU five year CD deal is becoming a bit long in the tooth. I’m less certain of its endurance and I want to get more before the deal disappears.

Q: Diversification?

Yes, some shorter, some longer is the way I’m headed at this point. Had I been able to get into Hanscom (they rejected me) I would also be sniffing around their four year CDs. Hanscom has had the best four year CDs for a long time. But given how things are, at least I’ll have CD action at 18 months, two years, and five years. Things could be worse.:slightly_smiling_face:

Additional comment regarding 4 year certificates:

Hanscom is presently at 3.1% APY. But Ken is showing many local and regional deals well in excess of that figure. Some exploration of those local/regional offerings could yield fruit.

So here’s what happened this morning. I finally got through to the original rep handling my app. I gave her the name of my organization. She asked if I could e-mail a copy. I tried & it kept feeding back that her e-mail was not good. I e-mailed it anyway, so she probably didn’t get it.

So then I go here & see your info on NFCU 18mo 3%. It is really hard to get a real voice to talk to at Empower. So I could keep on trying or just forget & go to NFCU.

I certainly am in no position to offer you counsel, pattyb53. I’m comfortable with where I am. If you have the big money it takes to get the Empower deal, and if it were me, I would try for the Empower giveback. The NFCU 18 month has only been around for thirteen hours at this point. I think you have some time to arrive at a decision on it. On the other hand, the Empower 18 month rate is only guaranteed until close of business Friday. So if you opt for Empower and the giveback you have time to do the deal, but you do not have time to dawdle. Course I thought the rate would collapse last Saturday . . . and I was wrong!

I retried to e-mail the CNYPCUG Member Benefits to my rep at Empower FCU. This time I’m sure it went through. It has been several hours & I haven’t heard back. So only time will tell if that rep will return the call or e-mail. Maybe like when you talked to them about honoring it, they are still checking!! :wink:

Posted as information only, for our whales:

At present GTE Financial is offering a 5 year Promo Add-On which pays interest as follows:

3.3% APY

Q: But shin, are you not aware that is 0.2% less than the current NFCU interest rate for their five year?

I’m aware. I’m also aware the GTE offering is an unlimited add-on and the NFCU offering is not!

For those who see falling or steady interest rates ahead, that 3.3% APY could be the highest add-on CD situation out there and available today. I know of none higher. If you do, please post!

Today’s deal is for those seeking to locate a decent four year CD. Hanscom appears superficially to be the leader in this realm.

Maybe not.

There might be a bit of juice in the MAC FCU deal in Fairbanks. Their APY for the four year CD is same as Hanscom, 3.1%. But the MAC APR is also 3.1%. Hence external compounding might offer the opportunity to boost the APY above Hanscom.

Q: Might?

Yes, I have not yet spoken with MAC and I do not know how frequently interest is permitted to be withdrawn. You cannot reinvest MAC interest until it is in your hands.

Q: Shin, can you provide a toll-free number so we can call?

Of course: 877-883-1253

Q: How about a link?

No problem:

Link to MAC rate page

The one negative here is need to join the Polar Bear Chapter of the Association of the United States Army. Admission is pricey. Cost to join is $30.

ETA

I forgot to mention, with a minimum of just $1000, many participants here will be able to do this deal. This is not a “whales only” deal.

Decision made!! I’m going with NFCU 18 mo 3% CD.

I might have gone with Empower, but they never responded on the CNYPCUG member benefits. (probably to much trouble to bother.) I’m a little disappointed, because I wanted to get in on all the “Xmas giveaways”.

Sorry this has not worked out for you, pattyb53. I think you might have had better fortune had you sought help from a different rep. Also, remember, when I checked with them regarding CNYPCUG, I never submitted anything to them as proof. They have CNYPCUG on their list of organizations. But your rep, unlike the person who took my call, apparently did not know how to access that list. Some reps are simply not as adept as others. When you reach a clinker you have to call back and speak with another rep, a DIFFERENT rep.

Anyhow, that is what I do. Or else sometimes I request, very nicely and politely, to speak with a “supervisor or group leader”.

Going in heavier now on the NFCU five year CD at 3.5%. Surely hope deal remains good tomorrow, else I will have bit of a mess on my hands. Also hope I’m making the right move. Always am nervous about making such a long commitment. Besides I’ll most likely be dead before maturity. Five years seems like an eternity at this point.

Yeah. Eternity. That is the word I was reaching for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, tomorrow being month’s end, looking for deal to to endure at least through close of business. And that is all I will need.

Yes, I’m leery of going for 5 year CD’s. Although I like 3.5%, my last renewal of Driver’s License was 5 yr & it expires 2023. I’m gauging my CD’s to not go past 2023. :kissing_heart:

When times were looking good my only 2023 CD maturity is Sharonview 4%. I picked up a couple CD’s that mature 2022 @ 3.66% & 2021 Freedom 3.56%, Hanscom 3%. Too bad we can’t go back & put more funds when those rates were higher.

So now anytime I find a short term 3%, I probably will grab it. (if I have some money)

Yes again, hindsight!! It’s hard to even get someone to talk to at Empower. I should have asked you upfront for the name of your rep. I never would have mentioned your name (I don’t even know it). But maybe it would have gotten me in the door. Next time!! :innocent:

Worth a pass probably based on this alone.

1 Like

Got a rate change notice from depositaccounts that navy fed’s 5 year rate just went from 3.50 to 2.50.

Apparently it’s a false alarm because navyfed still shows 3.50.

1 Like