CD Discussion Thread

So does it they will only have a partial penalty or allow penalty-free withdrawal of a partial amount of the money in the CD? I’m guessing the latter but just making sure.

Yes, that is correct . . . a partial no EWP withdrawal.

Also you have to ascertain that such a withdrawal may be made without prejudice, which is to say:

Be certain they will not cut you off after that single withdrawal. Be certain you will be allowed to come back and make a second no EWP withdrawal if you wish. If not, probably it is best to take it all out first time 'round.

Guys the logjam has begun to break. As of this hour, and obviously subject to further developments as this situation is unfolding as I write:

Bauer has gone up with new credit union ratings based on Q1 2020 financial data!

Again, at this hour, Ken and Weiss are standing pat with the old ratings based on wildly outdated Q4 2019 data.

I know little about Bauer . . . generally follow Ken and Weiss much more closely. But I will be checking things out over there regardless. Hope Ken and Weiss are not too far behind.

ETA

OK, just spent a few minutes over at Bauer looking at the new ratings for a bunch of my credit unions. Have come away feeling unimpressed. It’s a love fest over there. Bauer’s ratings are scandalously high and, in my view anyway, misleading.

Anyone who wants a more sober and realistic picture is just gonna have to wait for Weiss.

I’d think Q1 data would be equally outdated. It was well into March before the financial effects began to set in.

Yes, I have signaled that myself up thread.

Nevertheless, we will not have the desperately needed Q2 ratings for a long while. It’s a matter of doing the best you are able.

This is probably as good a place as any to elaborate on the following:

The Q1 call reports are due, under normal circumstances, on April first. This year, because of the pandemic, the NCUA made a ruling during April that gave the credit unions an extra month to get their reports in. Again, for emphasis, that NCUA decision happened during April.

Clearly what was salve for the credit unions was hurtful for those of us waiting on updated ratings. And you can see how that NCUA April forbearance has delayed things. The present question is as follows:

Will the NCUA do to us again in July what they did to us in April? I hope they do not. We need ratings based on Q2 financial data badly. It is during Q2 that pandemic impact will be most visible for the first time.

If the NCUA grants another one month extension it will happen, it has to happen, before first of August when the Q2 call reports are due to be filed. I have my fingers crossed that no such additional extension will be granted or, God forbid, already has been granted.

Ken’s Barksdale CD deal this morning might be of interest to some of you, especially if you have a military connection:

Get almost 2% APY on a five year CD at Barksdale

I live too far away. So I cannot tell you what is going on in the Bossier City, LA, region. But whatever it is it has given rise in recent months to some of the highest CD rates in the country.

1 Like

Am always happy to be able to report good news, and I have some:

Just off the telephone with the NCUA. They called me back because the crew in DC was unable to answer my question and regional office had to take it. But the guy who called me knew this answer.

The NCUA will NOT be repeating, here in July, what they did back in April. Back then they granted all member institutions an extra month to submit their call reports. This has resulted in significant delays in all of us being able to obtain updated ratings on the various credit unions. Literally as I type this, only Bauer has ratings based on Q1 financial data. Ken and Weiss STILL have not updated their ratings which continue to reflect only pre-pandemic operations way back in Q4 of 2019. Worthless

But Q2 is much more crucial than was Q1 because Q2 was a full quarter of pandemic. Hence it is a blessing that all American credit unions must file their Q2 call reports this month, and not next month. The NCUA rep told me the due date for the reports is 26 July, and that date is anticipated to remain firm.

Some news as of this morning:

Ken has updated his credit union ratings to reflect Q1 2020 NCUA data. There are few changes. But Ken’s ratings are now only three and one half months behind, instead of being SIX and one half months behind! I guess that qualifies for progress in a pandemic. :unamused:

Weiss?

Nothing yet. Still hope the new ratings will appear this week. Weiss is now the caboose, with both Bauer and Ken having updated.

1 Like

The same thing that’s been going on for the past 70+ years

Weiss Ratings has finally updated their credit union ratings. The ratings at Weiss now reflect Q1 financial data.

Now all three ratings providers, Ken, Bauer, and Weiss are showing us ratings based on Q1, end of March, data.

I have 2.35% Marcus no-penalty CDs maturing next week. Marcus just cut the no-penalty CD rates (by 0.10%?) in the past few days, so it looks like the regular savings rate will also be cut in the near future.

2 Likes

Ratings update

We all are aware the upcoming ratings, based on Q2 data, will offer us our first real opportunity to gauge pandemic impact. There will be three full pandemic months in that data.

We are today exactly one week on from the date, July 26th, when credit union call report data for Q2 was required to be submitted to the NCUA. They are now processing that data. Expect the NCUA’s Q2 quarterly data summary report to be published toward the end of this month. When it becomes available you will be able to see it showing up here:

NCUA quarterly data summary reports

It will appear in the category “2020 June”. As you can see, at the present time the most recent entry is “2020 March”, the June numbers not as yet having been posted.

After the NCUA posts for June, allow a couple of weeks for the “big three”

Ken
Bauer
Weiss

to examine the data and issue their new credit union ratings reflecting Q2 events.

We should have the new ratings, based on Q2 data, within the first couple of weeks of next month . . . . . I hope.

Unfortunately, I have 2 older CD’s maturing this month. Maybe some of you have them, Justice FCU & Freedom FCU. Great rates that I will be losing, but the worst part is deciding what to do with this money today.

I could qualify for this but 2% for 5 years. I can’t imagine going out that long for 2%.

Any good idea’s out there floating around? I have one good add-on CD left & it matures in October.

I agree that not quite 2% for five years is unattractive.

Look into the early withdrawal penalty on that one. Maybe there would be some help along those lines.

Marcus Savings was cut from 1.05% to 0.80%. The 7-month NPCD is still at 0.90%, but probably not for long.

Ally’s 11mo No-Penalty CD just dropped to 0.75% APY

4 Likes

Thanks. I opened a few of them last week and will fund them before the 10-day period is over.

1 Like

These rates don’t even cover estimated annual inflation (3%) on top of the fact the dollar is being devalued at the moment so you are not even breaking even. I’ll take my chances with Dividend Aristocrat Stocks especially when you start talking about locking your money in for 5 years to get 2%.

I have a local credit union(AFLAC) that you had to be an employee to get in which is currently paying 1.25% in their savings. Maybe folks can try to find those odd local ducks and see what they have to offer.

Ken is blogging, this morning, a deal he likes at Blue FCU. I’m not posting to tout Ken’s deal. I do not have an opinion on that. Instead:

Wanted to seize this opportunity to commend to your attention the credit union itself, Blue FCU.

I’m not a member. But I have spoken with people there in the past and I probably should be a member. Blue is one of those “gotta join” credit unions. They offer a lot of neat stuff. So you might want to look them over.

Blue might be for you or maybe not. I should join but I’m already a member of well over twenty credit unions so trying to keep things under better control. Give 'em a look. It costs nothing to look. It’s a good CU with multiple avenues of profit potential. :wink:

Link to Ken’s Blue FCU write up

Link to Blue FCU itself, in Cheyenne

1 Like

Do you care to elaborate?