CD Discussion Thread

Navyfcu has said as long as I know " An Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfer can only be completed out
of a checking account. They cannot, due to regulations by the Federal
Reserve Bank, be sent out of a savings account. The Federal Reserve
Bank does not consider a savings account to be a transactional account."

Is this correct? I do loads af ach in and out of online savings , not moneymarkets, savings definitely. Fed limited to 6 per month, but they went thru fine. Do ach transfers in and out, initiated at external banks, actually work at navy fcu ?

I wonā€™t be partaking but some may find this unlimited add on 5 year CD at 1.1% interesting:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/vibrant-credit-union/offers/

1 Like

Sorry, zjts. Iā€™m by no means knowledgeable regarding NFCU. And Iā€™m not able to see whatever post of mine it was that apparently prompted your inquiry. It must have been a while back. And you did not quote whatever I wrote, so Iā€™m at a loss.

The most informed poster we have regarding NFCU is Argyll. Perhaps he would be able to answer you. Sorry, I cannot.

Update

At this hour Ken is providing CU ratings based on the new Q2 data discussed up thread.

Bauer and Weiss, at this hour, are still basing their CU ratings on the old Q1 data.

ETA

Note regarding GTE Financial:

Kenā€™s new Q2 rating, B+, is unchanged from Q1.

1 Like

Looks like the Top CUā€™s by size list has also been updated based on the June numbers:

2 Likes

Thanks TJā€¦ Interesting list. Iā€™m in, as are many Fragile folks.
Like to see so many of us belong to those good CU.

So please raise those % interest rates. :wink:

zjts

19h

Navyfcu has said as long as I know " An Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfer can only be completed out
of a checking account. They cannot, due to regulations by the Federal
Reserve Bank, be sent out of a savings account. The Federal Reserve
Bank does not consider a savings account to be a transactional account."

Is this correct? I do loads af ach in and out of online savings , not moneymarkets, savings definitely. Fed limited to 6 per month, but they went thru fine. Do ach transfers in and out, initiated at external banks, actually work at navy fcu ?8

Couple of years ago, I attempted to set up ACH transfer to/from NFCU savings. The other bank made 3 small test deposits successfully, but it was unable to withdraw those deposits afterwards, as is customary. NFCU told me at the time that withdrawals via ACH were not allowed from savings.

3 Likes

Yep, NFCU doesnā€™t let you ACH pull out of your savings account. I had the same experience hwen I opened my account 9 or 10 years ago. Havenā€™t tried again.

3 Likes

That was several days ago.

Today: no change :anguished:

The latest

Bauer has updated their credit union ratings so as to reflect end of June financial data.

Most CUs I checked, including Sharonview, received five stars, the highest Bauer rating.

Exception: GTE received four stars

Check your Bauer rating here

Weiss?

Weiss is still using the old Q1 data for credit union ratings.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the purpose of checking these other raters if DepositAccounts has the updated data?

The three services probably use differing analytical methods and approaches. When checking out a particular financial institution I always consult all three since it is free to do so.

Course right now Weiss is tardy. Iā€™m watching and waiting for their take since Iā€™ve always thought Weiss is the toughest grader. You should know other people disagree with me on that. Nevertheless, itā€™ll be interesting to see what Weiss eventually produces.

Weiss also offers a helpful, and free, watchlist feature which I like and use.

I really wonder whatā€™s going on with Weiss on this. Is it because theyā€™re having trouble getting a clear picture and donā€™t want to guess at the risk of misleading investors? But weā€™re near the end of Q3 so Q2 data should have had plenty of time to get compiled and analyzed by now so it seems odd.

Either way, thanks for keeping us updated on when these services update their ratings.

We certainly are!

However, credit unions will not be required to submit their Q3 financial data to the NCUA until approximately the twenty-sixth of October. Thereafter the NCUA will ruminate for a number of weeks before finally releasing their Q3 summary some time around Thanksgiving.

Only after that summary is released can the three rating services go into action. You can look for them to provide us new ratings, based on Q3 data, very roughly three months from now . . . give or take.

BTW I just checked Weiss again:

crickets

Ally is now disallowing online closure of NP CDs. You now have to call in. I saw this discussed on DA and I verified that this message now shows on Ally:

Weā€™re only processing early withdrawals by phone right now.
Call us at 1-877-247-2559. Weā€™re here 24/7.

5 Likes

Wow thatā€™s big news and I was unaware. Thank you for posting!

I see the same message as you. Not sure whether itā€™s temporary or a change in policy.

Maybe they have a retention division now to try to talk you out of cancelling ā€¦ like Cable companies, etc.

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible but cable companies offer better rates to retain customers. Would Ally offer a higher interest rate in their NP CDs to retain investors? Not sure about that.