CD Discussion Thread

Great point.

I’m fortunately not going to have to cross that bridge just yet. I’ve only got just over $100k in Penfed CDs maturing so I should still be well under the $250k insurance limit for. Even with interest, I should remain under $250k until maturity unless I start adding more funds to it. If/when that happens, I’ll probably have to add a beneficiary.

I’m hoping rates will have recovered by then. It is hard to imagine currently but they were north of 4% just 2 years ago so you never know.

1 Like

My funds are just trickling in right now, the real decision I have wont come due until later next year. But for now, I’m looking to (essentially) dollar cost average - assuming the higher rate earned now will offset any below-market rate at the back end of the CD term.

Do you have any problem logging to GTE online? I did change the password, but still not able to log in. Also, the chat page is not working. i am trying to reach them on the phone …

Shandril, wishful thing on your part re: rates. probably will stay low for next 24 months. Just do bank bonuses and look out for Ally and CIBC and CIT to start some bonuses again. They have in the past like very 6 months or so.

No problem here. But it’s 4 hours later (10:30 EST), so technical issues may have been resolved.

Seventeen days. Geez

This is my thread and it is disheartening for me that things here are so overwhelmingly moribund. Obviously the basis for this situation is hopelessly low CD interest rates right across the board!

Just as an exercise I went over to Ken’s site and used his rate finder to sort of survey the situation. The best deal on a five year CD, with nationwide availability, I could locate is at Pen Air FCU. The interest rate is a whopping 1.35% APY. You need $500 to participate, which is OK.

Now I would never suggest anyone tie their money up for five years at only 1.35% APY. Good heavens, what an odious prospect!! Now I did not search thoroughly so maybe you can do a tiny bit better. But still, any APY close to 1.35% is silly in my view. Nevertheless, the situation is what it is.

Only other news here is hope for release of new credit union ratings, based on Q3 data, before the end of this month. I certainly hope it happens. :wink:

Probably a local deal

I’m only posting this because things are so bad. This most likely is a local deal, but it is not a credit union so perhaps you might have a shot:

Massena Savings and Loan is offering a five year CD paying 2.05% APY.

Massena S&L is small, so time most likely is of the essence even if they will take your money. You need at least $1000 to get this CD. They also offer IRA certificates at the same interest rate:

Link to Massena S&L rate page

I have not contacted this financial institution, which is in upstate New York, and I do not know whether or not they are willing to do business outside their region.

2 Likes

Makes me weasy to think in 5 yrs time we will be happy with a CD paying only 2.05%.

Thanks shinobi. Please keep us all informed of any deals around. I did take a look at this offer.

That Citi Priority bonus $700 offer may still be around in 6 months… Maybe worth waiting.

1 Like

Right now 2.05% APY is a pretty competitive interest rate on a five year.

But you raise a good point and I do not have the answer:

It would be worth knowing the size of the penalty this S&L imposes for early withdrawal.

Early withdrawal penalty looks like 3mo interest.

2 Likes

That is a most attractive EWP. I did not see that coming given the high rate of interest.

Advancial has Jumbo (50k) CDs with a rate of 1.01%. I’d probably prefer to do a Citi bonus deal as described by @Shandril and @pattyb53. This CD has an ugly EWP of 6 month’s interest.

ETA: Nationwide membership is available through a $5 Connex membership.

Succinct notice:

Be reminded in December new Q3 credit union ratings will emerge.

1 Like

Never ever did I see that coming. :smile:

1 Like

Did any of you take out Hanscom FCU 19 mo CD last year. I did & I just go an e-mail reminding me maturity is coming January. One of those 3%, at the time, nothing special.

So now or soon, what do do with $50k+. 1.45% Keesler’s HIMMA Plus. Any ideas from friends?

2 Likes

Open a couple more rewards checking accounts? :wink:

1 Like

I have 3 already. Keesler FCU & 2 @ Security Bank (Tulsa OK). Where else, good ones?

1 Like

This is my favorite one - still going strong at 3.3% on 20k.

Another one I use - 2.25% on 15k.

https://www.gardensavingsfcu.org/accounts/personal-checking/platinum-checking.html

3 Likes

You may already have a 4 year (4%?) CD with Garden FCU…

This rate just dropped, which generally means that it will hold steady for a few months at least (rewards rates tend to be much more static than liquid savings rates). But Evansville is primed for a drop.

1 Like

Thanks glitch & zzz.

I have an acct with Garden FCU (wish I had that 4% CD). I’m going to see if I can get in with Evansville.