CD Discussion Thread

Alliant was upgraded.

2 Likes

Ken Tumin wrote as follows a couple of days ago:

Even fewer credit unions have failed in the last year. According to the NCUA Conservatorships and Liquidations List, only one credit union was liquidated in 2020, and none have [sic] been liquidated as of March 31, 2021. One was placed into conservatorship in 2020, and three have been placed into conservatorship this year as of March 31, 2021. In a conservatorship, the NCUA takes over the management of the credit union with the goal of resolving the issues. If the issues cannot be resolved, the NCUA will either arrange for a merger of the conserved credit union into a healthy credit union or liquidate the credit union.

Monitoring WJR (AM 760 - Detroit) early this morning I was surprised to learn from Paul W. that the ongoing wastewater reservoir crisis in Florida is in the Tampa region:

From the internet:

Florida governor Ron DeSantis has vowed to prevent a ā€œcatastrophic floodā€ near the major city of Tampa. A leaking toxic wastewater reservoir has the potential to cause an environmental crisis in the region.

This post is intended only to raise awareness of the proximity between this crisis and the Tampa Bay region. I live very distant from there. Prior to hearing the news on WJR I had not connected this crisis in any way with Tampa.

Impact on GTE? Probably not. But GTE is of great interest to me as it is I know to other participants here. So I follow anything happening in the Tampa region which could turn out to be important to GTEā€™s prospects.

This will probably be fine. But, sure, I would be happier were something of this sort not happening so close to my valuable GTE add-on CD. I will be monitoring the situation a bit more closely than I was prior.

The new Advancial five year CD rate of 1.94% APY might be of interest to some of you. There is a large wrinkle in that becoming a member could turn out to be highly problematic. Iā€™m not a member and I dunno what it takes to get in. They do have an extensive SEG list. If you want to pursue this you can start here:

Is there a way in?

paying special attention to where it says ā€œmember of a partner organizationā€. Or you could telephone them.

This is a long shot, but the interest rate is somewhat attractive. The EWP? I do not have it.

1 Like

Yes I had an Advancial acct with $6.20.
Called & itā€™s no longer open. They say the account went dormant.
Bummer!
This CD sound fair. I have a CD maturing this month.
I may reopen this account.

Again, Iā€™m not an Advancial member. Wish I were because they, from time to time, have some pretty decent deals.

Above all, whether you sign up for that CD or not, do not lose your Advancial membership. Job #1 right now is to ask them what you need to do to restore your active membership standing. Following that you can decide at your leisure about the CD, provided it remains available.

Dunno how you managed to get into Advancial. Youā€™re a pretty sharp cookie, pattyb53. Well done.

Nasa FCU 49 month CD 1.5%, 10k min
Thanks bankdealguy website

2 Likes

I donā€™t think their membership was too strict. It appears that theyā€™ve tightened up significantly. Odd, but their HQ seems to be in Dallas (with an appropriately imaged woke website), but their membership seems to be limited to south central Louisiana. I thought they were based in Lafayette.

Appreciate that. I was confused.

Interesting. I, too, thought of them as being Louisiana based.

Hmmā€¦ Different part of LA but you guys could send the money to me. I will find a cousin to open the account for you. Just a small handling charge will apply.

1 Like

That was three days ago. Ken Tumin has now posted on Advancial, front and center of his page this morning. As usual, Kenā€™s writeup is very complete, professional, and worth your time to read:

Advancial Long-Term Jumbo CD Rates Increased Significantly

1 Like

Langley FCU is offering a Promo 15 month CD paying 1.00% APY. $25,000 is the maximum allowed deposit and it must be new money:

Link to Langley deal

I donā€™t like this deal for myself and Iā€™m not even a Langley member. But this at least is a fairly short CD, Langley membership is easy to obtain and it is a very good credit union of which to be a member.

Ken says:

Membership in Langley Federal Credit Union is open to anyone through joining the VersaBility Resources ($5 fee), Friends of Carrollton Library ($5 fee), Friends of Suffolk Public Library ($5 membership fee), Friends of Gloucester Library ($5 fee), Friends of Poquoson Library ($5 fee), Friends of Portsmouth Library ($5 fee), or Virginia Association of Museums ($15 fee).

And there are other ways in, as well. So you can get in.

This might be a good CD for someone who has no add-on opportunities or Keesler membership, and who prefers to remain short.

Lafayette FCU is one anyone may join. They offer a three year CD paying 1.01% APY and a five year CD paying 1.26% APY.

Again, this is only for those of you who have no add-on CD opportunity and who do not belong at Keesler.

Here is a link to the Lafayette rate page. You must scroll down:

Lafayette FCU rates

This is only my personal opinion:

Iā€™m not keen on these 1.00% (plus or minus) CDs. I post them because this is a CD thread, they are what is out there today, and they might be right for some individuals.

For myself, Iā€™d sooner keep my money in a liquid account . . . provided I could locate one paying roughly the same, or higher like at Keesler, rate of interest as these CDs. On the flip side:

I have noticed some liquid money and short CD rates are continuing even now to decline. So maybe it is a better idea to lock in a higher rate using a CD. I really dunno.

I should get into Keesler at least just to establish the relationship. Iā€™m in their service area.

3 Likes

This is very, very well taken. Consider:

Itā€™s a struggle today to get 1.25% on a CD, and you have to agree to an early withdrawal penalty if you go into a CD.

Over at Keesler you can enter into a HIMMA Plus at 1.30% APY even if you have just $2500, which many people can raise. Open that account and they lock the rate for you, at 1% plus the HIMMA rate, for six months. Itā€™s comparable to a six month CD, and there is NO early withdrawal penalty.

If you can open with bigger money, Keesler will pay you up to 1.4% on that same HIMMA Plus, lock the 1% part for six months, and still not charge you an early withdrawal penalty!

I have searched for decent CDs to post here. They all have early withdrawal penalties. Itā€™s really tough to compete with that HIMMA Plus account for an all around great deal.

2 Likes

New information:

This deal goes away at monthā€™s end, two days hence.

Moi? Hold a grudge? Donā€™t be silly.

Merely because Inova FCU unceremoniously kicked me out on my butt is no reason I would not post here their CD deals. Iā€™m such a fair minded person. :angel:

And besides, this is Kenā€™s deal anyway. He is featuring it front and center today on his page. Below is a link. As Ken explains, Inova will take almost anyone who has five bucks as a member . . . unless your name is shinobi:

Link to Kenā€™s Inova FCU CD deal - Various rates and terms offered

I was an Inova member for a number of years prior to the ā€œunpleasantnessā€. Itā€™s a good credit union, regardless the pain I feel typing that. :smiley:

ETA

Apparently Inova also imposes a $10 membership fee. :slightly_frowning_face:

Regret it takes ten grand to participate here, and sorry if that is too high a bar for you. But if you can scare up that much new money, here is the deal:

NASA FCU has re-upped their special 49 month, 1.5% APY, CD deal for the month of May. This offering is good until monthā€™s end. But, again, you need at least $10,000 of new money. Anyone with that kind of dough can play. Here is what Ken says about getting into this credit union:

Membership in NASA Federal Credit Union is open to anyone through a complimentary membership to the National Space Society.

And here is a link to their rate page:

See here NASA FCU 49 month CD special paying 1.5% APY

Once at that page, scroll down if you would like to open your account.

ETA

NASA FCU is reserving the right to limit the amount of money you can invest in this CD. They do not say what the maximum, if any, is. So if you have big bucks to put in, probably best to give them a call.

Pure speculation follows:

They might have a monthly maximum for this account type. If so, given itā€™s still early in the month, this might be a good time to move forward. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks shinobi. Just applied. 4yrs 1.5% ???

A trip down CD memory lane

Remembering fondly today, on first day of month, those sweet NFCU 3.5% APY five year certificates. Dear Lord do those CDs pay interest! And what I wouldnā€™t give to be able to buy such a CD today.

I did everything I could, back when they were available, to scratch together money for those NFCU CD lollipops. I shut down my side hustle (since reopened) and I brought in every other nickel I could scrape together; any money at all I could raise by any available means. Ended up, over a few months, opening nine of those 3.5% NFCU certificates. Every one of 'em lasts beyond the middle of 2024.

Course I had no inkling back then of the CD catastrophe we would be facing now. Some things you just have to chalk up to pure luck. And sure, I did Sharonview and Garden CDs at even higher rates of interest. But there was just something special about that NFCU 3.5% CD deal. Maybe it was because it came later. I dunno. Maybe it was because it was NFCU, our nationā€™s largest CU. Again, I dunno. But the deal sort of spoke to me, I answered, and boy am I glad I did! :wink: