CD Discussion Thread

Domestic wires cost twenty bucks.

2 Likes

So your Alliant CU account was also closed.

This is such a weird situation, folks having their Alliant CU accounts closed. Iā€™ll have to admit. Iā€™ve never had this happen before, & they also closed my husbands account. No real explanation, only the fact that they could do it for any reason or no reason at all.

Thatā€™s exactly what they told me!

Anyway, Iā€™m now using TIAA Bank for my transfers. I have an old account with TIAA Bank Money MKt account. Iā€™m setting up a transfer today with the small deposits, to set up Interior FCU.

Interesting. And helpful to know. To be honest, I thought you might decide to go with PurePoint.

I donā€™t like the 4+ days of hold on new money deposited at PurePoint. Otherwise PurePoint is a pretty good option.

1 Like

Are you saying TIAA Bank is offering you overnight ACH service, same as Alliant does? With no holds on funds either way, again like Alliant?

That would be big news.

Iā€™m not challenging you. I just was unaware.

How about limits? Are the TIAA Bank ACH limits comparable to Alliant?

1 Like

So far it has worked that way. Iā€™ve made transfers of over $25k. Iā€™m not sure of the limit on transfers yet, but the first transfer I made was like $37K, & no problem.

3 Likes

Darn. I closed my old TIAA account. Thatā€™s a violation of my standing rule:

Do not close accounts

But I had the account for a long time and was not using it.

Given the way Alliant is closing people out without cause, I figure my account there could be shuttered at any time. I need to be ready.

I may be naive, but why are you guys making so many transfers and why is it so important they happen overnight with no holds either way?

With me, CDā€™s that mature must transfer to a site that will gain a decent % rate.

Not an easy task at this moment in time. Some folks have add-on CDā€™s with great rates and they are transferring $$ā€™s there.

1 Like

New Q1 2021 ratings published by Ken and also at Bauer!

Title says it all. GTE not looking too bad.

Weiss Research? Not yet. Stay tuned . . . . but it could be a while. :slightly_frowning_face:

Link to Ken. Click at top of page to access Kenā€™s search box.

Link to Bauer Star Ratings

ETA

Note this is all we are going to get from these two ratings providers until after Labor Day.

1 Like

Reminder

Independence Day this year happens to fall on a Sunday. Hence the following Monday, July fifth, is a bank holiday.

Independence Day is the one holiday always celebrated on July fourth, regardless day of the week. So in many years no three day weekend results. But this year is different. This year Independence Day will give rise to a three day weekend, with financial institution closures on Monday.

If you are moving money, or if you have a CD maturity: heads up.

1 Like

IFCU (Interior) Update

You may withdraw the interest (i.e., the dividends) on your IFCU CD at any time without requirement to pay an early withdrawal penalty.

As always, this is my best current information. Be certain to check and confirm for yourself before executing this manoeuver.

Why would we only want to withdraw interest on Interior? Those of us that have IFCU CDā€™s maturing soon will withdraw the balance, right?

Am I missing something?

Most likely, pattyb53, you are not. However, other people might have need of money right now. And there could be thousands of dollars of interest available to them, penalty free. We all are in different situations.

In my own case I thought I might need money to meet a minimum requirement at Keesler as I seek to renew my HIMMA Plus. But after a call to Keesler that need appears now to have fallen to the wayside. But still, other people might have various needs for money in advance of their IFCU CD maturity.

1 Like

If you are moving a large sum and are subject to transfer amount limits, withdrawing the interest now will break that amount off from the lump sum youā€™ll be handling in a couple weeks. For a maturing 2 year CD, thatā€™s around $7k per $100k principle you can get to itā€™s new home without the delay of hitting a transfer limit.

For example - with a $300k CD and using Alliant to move the money, you can get the $21k interest moved with Alliantā€™s $25k/daily limit in advance of moving the principle, instead of having to tack it onto the end of the series of $25k transfers. (I know at that amount, wiring the whole amount at once would make more sense, but this is just an example!)

2 Likes

I understand now why a person might withdraw the interest only shortly before the maturity of the CD.

Since I switched to TIAA Bank I can make the larger transfers. As we all know Alliant CU had a limit of $25k on transfers.

1 Like

Blue Federal Credit Union has a small money seven month CD special ongoing at 7% APY. You need to act before monthā€™s end:

New Blue FCU CD deal

Itā€™s small money so you might wonder ā€œwhy botherā€?

Well, Blue is one of those ā€œgotta joinā€ credit unions. They are known for having deals, and you never know in advance when the next one is gonna pop up. Some credit unions are dull and boring. Blue is not dull or boring, and anyone may join. Come for the small money deal now. Stay for the deals certain to be offered in future.

Blue is headquartered in Cheyenne. Itā€™s a pretty cool credit union.

Actually, $2,000 is the max either way.

Itā€™s the minimum for non-IRA accounts.

1 Like

can the 7-Month CD $2000 Max 7% APY be opened online?
any promo code required?
Anyone want to refer me? Is there a referral credit?

If youā€™ve never seen that part of the country, hereā€™s your golden opportunity to visit for the annual membersā€™ meeting. You will not regret it, unless the meeting is between Oct 15 and May 15. :smile:

1 Like