CD Discussion Thread

Are you saying you had a personal meeting with a rep? I actually don’t reside in the city of any of my CD accounts.

In past times people talked about flying to cities in order to obtain a high percentage rate CD.

I think I must be reading your post incorrectly shinobi. I don’t know where you live but I’m sure it’s not near Biloxi, MS. I thought you were talking about Keesler FCU. Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought you lived in the city in the NE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Anyway yours is an interesting post for today. :wink:

I did meet personally, at a branch, with a person who works for my financial institution. It was not Keesler. It was a different financial institution.

I did not have to go in person. They would have sent me the forms and I could have signed, on my own, before a notary.

Most important, again, remember different financial institutions have vastly different requirements to qualify for wiring money. You MUST make inquiry, preferably in advance of when you actually will be needing to use the service upon maturity of your CD. If you wait until the last minute: expect trouble.

The nearest notary being at the bank, right? :smile:

2 Likes

Or use Notarize.com from the convenience of your home 24/7 $25/document

Yikes!

Why Yikes?!? I signed for a mortgage last week. It was so much more convenient.

UPS Stores charge $2 for a notary… :grin:
My local drug store does it for free for customers…

1 Like

Do they offer a bounty, and a promise not to prosecute, for anyone that can fool them?

You upload a copy of your driver’s license. I would think that it would be pretty obvious if it’s the same person or not.

Is that a joke? If not, you must not be familiar with this product. Or this one.

1 Like

This morning’s very strong July employment report, together with upward revision for June, suggests possibility of an inflection point where interest rates going forward are concerned.

Today’s robust outcome might well presage discontinuation of declining interest rates as we move into the future.

3 Likes

I would assume they verify the Drivers License ID is valid, but who knows. You would think the service would not have survived if it was easily defrauded.

My congratulations, and envy, on your youth. :smile:

Look at some old spy movies from the 60’s. See what they did to physical passports with scissors, paste and photos. Now imagine a scanned license with a tiny talent in Photoshop.

I don’t mind signing up with LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. with false data. I wouldn’t mind joining NextDoor, but that would require mail fraud, which I’m not willing to commit. Imagine a crook who was only seeing $$ signs and was quite willing to commit forgery for a big payday.

2 Likes

I may be missing a joke, but wouldn’t that be “If no, you must not …”?

1 Like

Would you please explain why you think violating the terms of service of Nextdoor could be considered “mail fraud”? I am confused by your statement.

3 Likes

Why all the commotion about having a DL notarized?

After reading all the various quick and cheaper remedies, I wonder with amazement.

But I’ll admit that the last time I needed a notary, his price had gone up to $20.

My usual old price had been $10 a page. Yes next time I need something notarized I may think of one of those directions mentioned above. (depending on how much time I have) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happily

If I implied that violating their terms of service could be considered mail fraud (which I don’t think I did), my apologies. I haven’t seen their terms of service, or requirements for membership, in at least six years, and probably over seven.

I started to look up their sign-up requirements, but their home page refuses to load without javascript. Sadly, my dummy machine is in use at the moment, so I can only offer comments dependent upon my incredibly diminishing memory.

IIRC, if your name was provided/sold to NextDoor, you received a post card from NextDoor with an invitation code. That postcard usually has your legally, correct information. If you used that invitation code, you were tied (even if you later changed it) to that data. In today’s PC parlance, I do not identify with that data (how can a fat zebra be named Slim Pickens?).

The only way to join NextDoor, without an invitation code, is to MAIL a copy of a utility bill with your “corrected” data to NextDoor. I capitalized MAIL because that’s what I considered to be “mail fraud”.

It is quite possible that NextDoor has lessened their requirements to include emailed images of your utility bills. Even with that minimization, I would not be comfortable submitting a “corrected” utility bill.

I hope the above explains things clearly.

For those who prefer to think the above is paranoid, okey dokey - enjoy your life. I’m enjoying mine. Per MONTH, I get three spam calls total (over 3 personal lines, and one business line), zero spam texts, less than 30 filtered spam emails (if you exclude LinkenInIdiots), and less than 15 pieces of junk mail (excluding grocery store flyers).

Everyone has there own niceties. Mine are simple … or simpel. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

ETA: I think NextDoor is great for the first few months in a neighborhood. People feel free to say who is a good gardener, arborist, handyman, etc. They also feel free to talk about when they snowbird, go to the lakehouse, etc. If I were a thief, I would have no compunction forging a utility bill to join NextDoor in lots of above average communities. You could almost create a schedule for your thievery.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand why it seems funny. To put it bluntly, the commotion has nuthin to do with a DL. It has EVERYTHING (yeah, I recently fell in love with CAPS) to do with notarization, specifically what I consider to be sketchy notarization.

For example, what does it take to sell a car/boat/home/property? If you can’t trust, or can manipulate, the notarization process, how trustworthy is it? There was a thread (I hope) about homes being sold from under people. To me, that requires a lot of work on the part of the ne’er-do-wells running the scam - a lot more work than photo-shopping a DL.

IIRC, my mailed invitation was to Current Resident, so I could use any name. At that point, I believe, the “neighborhood lead” was supposed to confirm/approve membership, but IME the leads usually don’t care, esp in more populated neighborhoods.

My accounts were eventually locked/disabled without an obvious reason (I suspect they checked public records for owner names), and they requested that I upload a copy of my ID to reinstate. I started to photoshop the name into my state ID, but it was too much effort :roll_eyes:.

Funny you mention that, since some of my utility bills don’t have my real name either. The way to do this is to not sign up in-person, not provide your SSN (which is essentially used for credit & ID verification), and let them bill you an extra month worth of a temporary (6-12 mo?) security deposit. This doesn’t work with all utility providers, some claim they must know your identity one way or another.

If I mailed my real utility bill which has my pseudonym, would it still somehow be mail fraud?

That may be an out, but mine was to the name on the county records, which obviously is public. I did not care to expand/confirm that record.

I concur, but have not personal experience.

And here is where I get squeamish. There are no records showing I have ever been arrested or stopped. I would like to keep exposure to a minimum.

I would be happy to submit those, legitimate, invoices, if I had any. … more to add, but I’ve got melons and gourds to pick. :frowning: It’s going to be a long day.