CD Discussion Thread

I tried to get that 3% CC at Alliant CU.

I received a refusal letter with no explanation. Strange, since I have belonged to Alliant CU for over 10 years.

When you factor in the annual fee (yes waived for the first year) of $59 itā€™s really only useful in the first yearā€¦since I have a citi doublecash that pays 2% on everything all the time with no feeā€™s it really wasnā€™t worth the botherā€¦I also have various cards that pay 3-5% back on various categories at various timesā€¦the credit cards companies pay me a decent sum every year to use their cards given I pay full balance at end of every month.

2 Likes

Speak for yourself. With the extra 0.5%, the AF is paid for with only $1,000 monthly spending. I have way more than that that doesnā€™t fall under any of the bonus categories elsewhere.

3 Likes

Well obviously I was speaking for myself for the most part however Iā€™d question why you have so much un-targeted spending. Eliminating the 5% rotating categories for citi dividend, discover and chase freedom a handful of still available cards get me 3% back at all restaurants/fastfood, gas stations, office supply, home supply, shipping supplies and grocery (Iā€™m sure Iā€™m forgetting a few)ā€¦the US Bank visa+ gives you 5% back on two categories of your choice which for me are normally bookstores (all purchases at amazon)(this quarter discover has 5% amazon so switched it to 5% fast food) and electronic stores (newegg, frys, best buy etc)ā€¦amex simplycash for 5% back on mobile providers and office supplyā€¦penfed for 5% back on gasā€¦

Now ignoring all that anytime a rotating category comes up itā€™s beyond simple to buy up a bunch of gift cards to specific places from the grocery store etc (a prime example is 5% off at walmart by buying samā€™s club giftcards)ā€¦by the end of that I have very little thatā€™s NOT being targeted in some manner. Perhaps you should expand your focus? This is specific to ME but if you travel itā€™s easy enough to target the airmiles and hotels etc. I fear weā€™ve wandered a little far off focus so feel free to PM to discuss further should you feel the need.

Patty, were you logged into your Alliant account when you applied online?

We have seen that people who have Alliant accounts and who apply online while logged in are approved quickly.

I filled out the Alliant CU online application. Just got a call that again they said NO to me obtaining 3% card. Imagine, I have belonged to Alliant CU for over 15 years.

This time the reason was I have no credit. My house, cars, etc are all paid for. The agent offered the other CC with a limit of $1200. So I said, ā€œforget it, your loseā€. I have a Business Select Card with Citi, but I only gain mileage, no cash back. So if I want cash back, I can open a card with Citibank. They only pay 2%.

shinobi, after all the conversation on GTE Financial Top CD Rates- Up to 2.78%. Iā€™m talked out!

But, I did get in on the 30-month 2.78%. Iā€™ve spent all my liquid funds now & waiting for another good deal. (still have some money left with AgFed no-penalty CD).

CIT Bank has a ā€œno penaltyā€ 11-month CD paying 1.45%

• $1,000 minimum deposit
  • No opening or maintenance fees

https://bankoncit.com/no-penalty-cd-11/

Is it just me or does the rate for cdā€™s appear to be going in the opposite direction the last 3 weeks or so? I guess if you already have a relationship with some of these banks it might be worthwhile but for me the minimum bar is the 11 month no penalty cd at Ally paying 1.50%. The recent no penalty paying 1.85% just blew it out of the water. Hoping to see some sort of black friday deals coming out this year similar to years past but hopefully at new institutions since Iā€™m still maxed out at Andrews with their killer deal (at the time). Got some low interest cdā€™s that become available towards end of the year also.

@pattyb53

Seems odd for them to say thatā€¦Iā€™m in similar situation but credit score is still very comfortable. Perhaps you should take advantage of some of the 0 percent balance transfer offers available (they keep pushing them to me so I assume others are getting them)ā€¦in the past Iā€™ve even taken offers like that to finance cars when I could pay for them outrightā€¦and then kept my money in the bank earning interest except for minimum payments until the end,finally paying it off. I had a similar situation happen the first time I applied for an american express cardā€¦they reported I had ā€œexcessive debtā€ and something elseā€¦I got a copy of my credit reportā€¦contacted them and told them to tell me where the excessive debt was since everything was paid for and all cards paid full balance at the end of the monthā€¦they never could explain it but they green lighted me for a card ā€œon a manual basisā€.

1 Like

Shocked they turned you down. How many years have you been an Alliant member?

Iā€™ve been a member of Alliant CU for over 15 years. I have a Trust Acct there & the agent says they donā€™t make loans on trust accts. After submitting an app I received an e-mail turning me down for the cc. I called the agent & he said I had no credit. I realize I donā€™t owe anyone, house, cars etc all paid off.

Also I have a Business CC & charge all business affairs paying off these charges monthly. He said, I need to open small credit charges to build up my credit. At this point in life ā€œitā€™s not worth the troubleā€.

Ally just raised its 12mo CD rates - not spectacular but okay:

1.50% APY on less than $5,000 opening deposit

1.55% APY on $5,000 minimum opening deposit

1.65% APY on $25,000 minimum opening deposit

1 Like

Ally now has a 12-month CD with 1.65% rate.

Comparing Allyā€™s no penalty 11 month cd @ 1.50% vs their 1 year cd @ 1.65%

Assuming you are in Allyā€™s no penalty CD at max FDIC limit thatā€™s only $375 more which I donā€™t feel is adequate to lock yourself in for a year with a penalty given it looks like rates are continuing on an upward trend. I think Iā€™d sit still unless you had money freeā€™d up that had been making 1.25 or 1.35 percent.

Agreed. Was just sharing the info.

I believe Allyā€™s 11-mo 1.50% No Penalty CD is the better deal. Itā€™s like liquid funds & you can withdraw at any time. To gain this rate, 1.50%, you must deposit $25K.

1 Like

Great for folks who live in Florida:

MIDFLORIDA CU has a limited-time 5-year Lifestyle CD (3.00% APY). Minimum deposit of $100k new money. Partial fee-free withdrawals (up to 10%) allowed per year.

via Deposit Accounts http://ift.tt/2lVYqUh

Are people going somewhere else to discuss the CD deals?

Are people going somewhere else to discuss the CD deals? same question: I really miss fatwallet. Where is everyone discussing cd rates & bank promos?

https://www.andrewsfcu.org/whats-new/promotions.html#goto_2
ANY BANK ACH QUALIFY FOR THE DIRECT DEPOsit requirement? capitalone? alliant cu? ally? paypal?
I have no other dd source so any input is appreciated

No data points at
AT List Of Methods Banks Count As Direct Deposits - Doctor Of Credit

ANY BANK ACH QUALIFY FOR THE DIRECT DEPOsit requirement? capitalone? alliant cu? ally? paypal?
I have no other dd source so any input is appreciated

Wondering the same thing!
Some discussion on Deposit accts. But yes, I also miss fatwallet.