CD Discussion Thread

It can’t be worse than the S&L cluster something. I am tempted.

That is not entirely fair. It only applies to persons actually wanting something shorter.

Some people actually are seeking to put a portion of their CD money out five years, while keeping other CD money shorter. As an FDIC insured five year CD opportunity open to everyone . . well . . I think that Chicago deal is the best in the USA right now.

Obviously nobody would jump into that deal with both feet. No sane person would bet the farm. But some folks might decide to nibble.:wink:

Course it’s ten grand minimum. But for some participants here at least, I think that still classifies as a nibble.

ETA

For anyone wanting something just a bit shorter, without too much of a yield penalty, Hanscom’s four year CD is paying 3.1%. And you only need a thousand bucks to play. Not a bad alternative. Hanscom has had the best four year CD offering out there for a long time.

Course to participate at Hanscom you must first be accepted into their exclusive “club”. And not everyone qualifies. Trust me, I speak on that one from bitter personal experience. But for the Hanscom elites, and you people know who you are, that four year CD is the best in the USA.

I looked all over Ken’s website. Ken does appear to have forgotten about the CD deal:

https://www.kensfoods.com/

2 Likes

Very funny, Argyll. And I actually do consume a Ken’s product routinely, almost every day of my life.

His salad dressings are awesome but the opposite of “healthy”. I like a little salad with my dressing. :wink:

2 Likes

There’s nothing elite about it, you just need to have not trashed your chexsys report prior to joining. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The heck ya say! It so happens my Chex report finally arrived yesterday. There are no negative items at all . . except . .

If a high number of items on the report alone is viewed as negative then . . .

yes, I have a problem. The report is more like a short novel.

Funny thing is that for certain financial institutions this must be an issue, while for others it is not at all an issue. Example:

Interior clearly made a Chex inquiry on me. That inquiry is mentioned in my report. So they know what Hanscom knew. But it was not an issue at Interior, whereas at Hanscom the same data was a deal breaker.

The various financial institutions clearly have their own proprietary criteria. And Hanscom only takes the elites.

Never thought of myself as an elite, but maybe I am & just didn’t know. I qualified for both Interior & Hanscom. They want my money! Big Deal! :wink:

Hanscom did NOT want my money. I’m not good enough for them. Think they might have me figured for a drug dealer or smuggler, or perhaps a coyote.

Oh, the shame!!!

I use Fidelity Full View (Yodlee before that), but I’ve been considering switching to Personal Capital. Almost every time I log into Fidelity, there are a few accounts that won’t update. Is that an issue with Personal Capital?

Although I always seem to have a few they are typically valid such as the account asking security questions not captured by personalcapital or wanting phone confirmation etc…I can’t get my Target account of all places to sync to save my life. They seem to do well for my purposes…I no longer even look at mint.com. First internet bank of indiana also has an aggregator but I like the personal capital “layout” better. They will even give you zillow estimates on real estate.

The Interior FCU 2 year jumbo interest rate has fallen to 2.52% APY from 3.14% APY only a short while ago. :frowning_face:

For the record (and to maybe make you feel a little better), Elements Financial denied me membership for the same reason.

4 Likes

Thanks, glitch99, that does help a bit . . . and of course I was only kidding about the elite thing.

My inability to understand the financial institutions’ rationale is what continues to wrankle me. My entire report contains no negatives at all, none visible to me anyway. So we do a lot of business with a variety of other financial institutions . . . opening many accounts. But there is no malfeasance whatsoever, nor is there even a whiff thereof. So why are we somehow undesirables?

It all makes no sense, and it is one whale of a darn nuisance!

Update

That Federal Savings Bank 5 year 3.3% APY (see posts up thread) continues to hold today, according to their website. For how much longer who can guess the way things are deteriorating. Money almost surely is flowing in there.

If you are yield shopping and want more you will have to go out a LOT longer and that is not anything I would advise. Andrews will pay you another 25 basis points if you go out two more years. People have made money in the past doing such as that, but you have to believe in recession far as the eye can see and further.

Shinobi, this isn’t complicated. Look upthread where gltich99 and I (and possibly others) suggested to you it is the number of accounts being opened in a short time that makes you less desirable to recruit as a new customer. They (often) offer loss leader products to entice new customers to their financial institution knowing that the vast majority of people overestimate the amount of friction that occurs when changing financial institutions. Your track record tells them you are not one of those people, and are likely to take the money and run. Same principle as Chase’s 5/24 rule.

1 Like

Yes, that makes some sense. OK, I think I understand your thesis . . maybe. Thing is, though, on the other hand (and this is something of a revelation on my part):

I could understand better if my large number of account openings were at a vast number of different financial institutions. This would send a signal that I show up for the deals and then move on, taking my business elsewhere.

Now the revelation:

But that is not my pattern. I do have a vast number of inquiries . . but only from a TINY number of different institutions. This is because I have been able to refine my hustle activity a good bit and need only a small number of amenable counterparties.

So it’s not as if I’m constantly changing financial institutions in search of better deals. The report actually betrays my loyalty to certain banks and credit unions, a very small number of each.

That is likely beyond the parameters of the scoring mechanism being used. We tend to think in far more sophisticated terms than most banks, they likely don’t look at who each inquiry is from.

2 Likes

This is prompted by my reading over on Ken’s website, and also by what I wrote up thread:

I need to moderate a bit my insistence that long CDs are more likely than not problematic. I’m backing off that stance.

President Trump is nominating doves big time to serve alongside J. Powell. He just nominated two more of them. For anyone unfamiliar, doves favor lower interest rates while hawks lean toward higher rates. If Trump is re-elected we could be facing a protracted period of lower rates. And even if he loses the election, his appointments will continue to influence interest rates beyond Trump’s departure from office.

The argument for higher interest rates? Well, I suppose if economic activity explodes the demand for money could drive up rates. And this might happen, who knows. Surely not myself.

Bottom line only saying not such a horrible idea to have some longer CDs in your mix, like those five years for example. I plan myself to follow this course when money becomes available to me. Seven year CDs? I’m not quite ready to buy any of those. Hope I do not regret this.

I don’t think rates ever got high enough to make long term CDs worthwhile. There’s only so much room for rates to fall; at 3%, there’s far more upside potential than downside risk.