CD Discussion Thread

Looks like you were right on with this one!! It was great while it lasted… :relaxed:

I was very lucky to get in with several of the 2 & 3 yr great CD’s. Now I’m waiting for PSECU to send me paperwork to add their Trust & POD option. I’m way over the NCUA maximum insured amount.

Thanks, pattyb53, but not really. Reading the rest of my post, just beyond what you quoted, shows my thinking was in the other direction . . . . and erroneous!!

While I realized they might not hold to their commitment of month’s end, I thought on balance that they would . . . and that was wrong. Fortunately for me, earlier this week I ACHed five hundred bucks into my PSECU savings just in case. Didn’t really think I would need it. Well, wrong again.

I just, within the last half hour, used that five hundred bucks to open the 3.25% APY PSECU CD I really did not want to open yet.

This turn of events should make everyone suspicious regarding PSECU. It has done that for me. I am worried now that they might change the add on terms of the CD I just opened. For example, they might limit the dollar amount of add ons . . . or do away with the privilege altogether.

One thing I wrote up thread actually was correct. They have not yet experienced the funds inflows, via add ons, which lie ahead for them. When they do encounter that experience, more changes might be the outcome, ones which will limit or discourage the inflows of money.

I think when Ken highlighted the deal two times (or more), that spelled its doom. The only reason it had survived the earlier several weeks was because it was classified as a regional offer.

I am not planning to use the add-on anymore. My funds from the Marcus and Chase/JP bonuses had matured, and I had them moved to a new 36mo CD earlier this week.

It’s probably true that the BIG inflow of funds is yet to come. Maybe PSECU will tighten or change the terms of the add-on. After all, it is not very clearly stated in the disclosures how the add-on would work.

At minimum, they can easily enforce the requirement that the first transfer (not just calling in to set it up) needs to happen within the first 30 days of CD opening, and any failed add-on transfer would terminate the entire add-on feature.

1 Like

With all the unanticipated drama currently surrounding impending downgrading of the PSECU three year CD, we should not lose sight of something else:

It appears PSECU is leaving untouched their five year CD APY of 3.00%.

Q: Uh, shin, in case you haven’t noticed, there remain other five year opportunities, besides PSECU, at 3% APY or better. Right?

Very true. But those other situations do NOT include the valuable PSECU add on feature.

A 3% CD is still a “three handle” CD . . . just barely. And three handle CDs are scarce. Three handle CDs with an add on feature . . . . well . . . . I think PSECU has the only one available!!

Concession:

Of course if PSECU makes changes which render the add-on feature less valuable, or if they cancel the feature entirely, then we are in trouble for sure.

Thanks for the heads up. I called and the rep said that they would honor the rate for those who opened their “account” (I understood share account as I explained I was a brand new customer) before the rate change. She said you would need to call in and have the rate adjusted. I did not focus on that option though because I asked about mobile depositing $1k to open two 3 year CDs today. One I set the auto transfer for 7 December and one I marked as “none.” My mobile deposit was available within 20-30 min so people can still do this before they close at 5pm today.

Too bad, no more “three handle”.

24mo @ 2.00% APY
36mo @ 2.25% APY
48mo @ 2.40% APY
60mo @ 2.55% APY

1 Like

Thanks, scanchain.

Well, it’s even worse than was being portrayed by others earlier elsewhere. Nobody mentioned the cut to the five year, only to the two and three year CDs.

This takes PSECU completely off the table. It is truly a sad day for us CD aficionados.

I called in this morning to PSECU to have the rate adjusted on a CD I opened Saturday after the rates changed. The rep I spoke with stated they are honoring the rate through the month for anyone who was a member prior to Saturday and calls in and states they are aware of the promo rates. No idea how accurate this is but they adjusted my rate with no issue and would have let me open additional certificates under the promo rate tiers. I would NOT delay on this however given how incorrect info has been given by reps in the past. They may honor them today and not tomorrow. Anyone’s guess as to how long this lasts is as good as mine.

3 Likes

I hand my hat to PSECU for honoring their rates to the end of the month for members.

I still have a pretty good chunk of money over at Grow MM. And this info is making me think about opening another couple 3.25% 36 mo CD’s. Decisions, decisions!! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

(You know circumstances have become rather dire when I am reduced to posting something like this)

WARNING!

Travel required. Deal even then is dubious at BEST! You have been warned.

About the only possible advantage to this deal is the ten year lock in.

Equitable Savings, in eastern Colorado, is offering a 10 year CD paying 3.37% APY. The catch: my best understanding is you must apply in person. But I have not spoken personally with the bank.

Here is Ken’s page where you can see this rate is at a high since 2011:

See here Ken’s rate history chart for 120 month CD

And here is a link to the bank’s rate chart itself, effective now:

See Equitable Savings’ high rate long term CD here

Why bother with a trip to Colorado when you can readily purchase (before end of this month) a PSECU CD paying 3.25% APY, almost as much as Equitable is offering?

You would buy the ten year CD to lock in the rate if you believe interest rates are going to remain low.

2 Likes

There was a discussion on this 120mo Equitable CD on Bogleheads. Apparently, the EWP terms are not clear. Some say it is 3mo, some say early withdrawal is not allowed.

Andrews Federal Credit Union is offering an 84-month Share Certificate Special at 3.05% APY, $1k min/$250k max deposit, limit of one certificate per member. Easy membership requirement.

5 Likes

You can now get 3.01% APY at Andrews FCU for three months. Here is a link to the deal:

Link to Andrews FCU three month CD deal

5 Likes

I hope we can agree the situation with CDs has become more difficult in these last weeks. I ask you, therefore, to forgive this post of a CD which is NOT a sure thing. I much prefer posting great deals which are 100% available for certain. If I become aware of those I will post. But this is different. This CD simply might not be available to all:

Over the years I have, many of us have, gotten in on CD deals by joining some organization. I have also signed up for classes at a distant educational institution, and joined alumni associations of colleges I never attended, in order to get a CD deal. You have to meet whatever requirements that might exist. They are many and varied.

The “gotcha” with some deals is requirement to apply in person. If a “gotcha” exists with this deal, that most likely is it. Another possible “gotcha” is an unpublished requirement that you reside in a particular region. That one is always tough.

So this post offers only a possible CD deal. The barriers are high and might be insurmountable. I dunno. Here we go:

Founders Federal Credit Union, in South Carolina, is offering an 84 month CD paying 3.29% APY . . . . . if you can gain entry! So let’s look at that:

The first part should be doable. You can find here the eligibility page. Focus on and click where it says “I attend, am a member of, worship or volunteer at”. It’s a really long list. There should be an opening there, something where you can become a member.

This leaves the matter of residence. There is no published residency requirement. But such a requirement might exist and merely be unpublished.

Finally, the high hard one: application in person.

If they require we apply in person the entire opportunity vanishes. You have been warned.

Have fun with it. I always did, and made some good money too along the way. :grinning:

ETA

Much to my surprise, Ken blogged this deal today . . . after I posted it here. Is Ken reading this discussion thread? :rofl::rofl:

No, I seriously doubt that. And I certainly hope not. But with Ken having now posted the deal there is discussion about this over on his blog. So far no one over there has posted that you need to apply in person.

Again, absent a requirement to apply in person and absent a requirement to live in the region where this CU is located, the deal actually could be achievable.

No prob, Shinbone. Just send your money to me. I’ll drop by and open an account for you. :-):grin:

1 Like

Hi shinobi, I have been out of the web for sometime.

Just bought a new computer today & trying to start adding my programs. What a mess!! I need to add Ken’s site. Just what is the real name. Also Bobblehead. Would appreciate help.:woozy_face:

My old computer went down the drain with all life (joke) gone!!

Sure, pattyb53. Not a big deal.

Here is a link to Ken’s blog

Here is a link to the Bogleheads best CD rates thread

Hope you have good luck with your new computer! :grinning:

1 Like

Ken has now blogged, full writeup, regarding this Andrews deal I posted up thread six days ago.

Link to Ken’s blog post on the Andrews CU 3 month CD deal

I don’t know which would be worse… 84 Mo 3.29% or 3 Mo 3.01%.
84 Mo- to long a time for me, 3 Mo- to short a time to be worth the effort.

These 2 accounts might work for some. I have several old CD’s that will be maturing in 3-4 months so I will be searching for placement of these funds. The 3 mo CD would mature right along with my others. But nice to hear of these movements. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Lest we all forget

It’s a busy time of the year what with this being Thanksgiving week and so forth. Black Friday happens only one day later. So I’m offering a reminder post here . . . nothing new . . . just a reminder:

At this writing the two Keesler 30 month CDs continue to be available. Both feature Keesler’s weird “jump up” rates, so DO NOT invest unless you plan to hold onto the CD for the full 30 months. If you do that you’ll be fine.

The first CD requires you invest at least $1000. The blended, bottom line, interest rate across the 30 months is 3.1% APY.

The second Keesler CD is their jumbo. It’s the same “you gotta hold” situation, and you need $100,000 to play. The APY on the jumbo is only slightly higher at 3.2% APY. To see these rates, go here, click on “certificates”, and scroll down.

It’s unknown how much longer Keesler will be able to hold these high rates. But with the end of November approaching rapidly, if you want the rate it might be well to act promptly.

The only other decent CD out there is, of course, the 3 year 3.25% APY at PSECU. Everyone already knows about this CD. The deal dies a mean and ugly, and final, death this coming Saturday. I opened my third CD yesterday. On this one we all need to hope for the best, meaning if the add-on feature changes or evaporates it’s all over.