Different Forum Software

It’s good to try new things. Keeps you on your toes.

I wanted to bring this other option to the admin’s attention because it’s open source, free, feature rich, and actively developed:

I’m not affiliated with it at all. I just was doing some research on the forum software options out there and this seems to be the best right now in my opinion.

Atmittedly, I’m not super experienced with it but my past experience has made me hate it. Specifically, since it doesn’t load all thread comments or paginate them, but instead loads as you scroll, so it breaks browser-based search. (And I guess is aware since it captures ctrl-F, but to me that’s shitty too…)

4 Likes

This has started really bugging me too. I use ctrl-f a lot.

2 Likes

Hitting ctrl+f twice will close the topic/site search and open the browser search, at least in Firefox. It is, of course, pointless if you didn’t pre-load all of the comments on the page.

Thankfully the topic/site search dialog has a checkbox to limit the search to current topic, and I believe it remembers this value.

3 Likes

I’ll try to keep using it to see if it is an acquired taste, but so far, the more I use it the less I like it.

Feels too much like it is made for a mobile phone, with a finger-scrolling method. But I usually view forums on a desktop, and I see way too much whitespace, and there’s only room for 3 or 4 posts per page, which is ridiculous for long threads. It becomes a scroll-fest.

I do more forum searching while I am wasting time at work, so I’d prefer forum software that looks like Outlook or Excel or anything that basically look likes work if someone walks by. Is that a possibility?

1 Like

Voting (and filtering) topic and replies was my favorite FW feature.

4 Likes

Good searching, voting (and seeing who voted), sticky threads, and being able to see how many new posts since you last read the thread were IMO key to the Fatwallet Finance experience. I have no idea if this board software or any other does this well, but I thought I would throw that out here.

I use a laptop exclusively for this, so tendencies toward “responsive design” aimed at tablets and mobile with extra white space is a negative.

3 Likes

All of this is working well for me, except for rating feature, which might be accomplished with a plugin:

1 Like

Will look into the plugin–thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I like this one. I’ll also qualify that by saying I’m not a computer professional and also not that picky. I also use it exclusively on iOS.

1 Like

I do like it a bit more than the first times I tried it, but, really, without the ratings it is not even close to the old usability. And I am not talking just about topic ratings of course, post ratings are at least as important…
The huge white space is a bit annoying, it becomes better when I open the site on my portrait display, although the all-white theme is still tiring for me personally. *Edit, switched to the dark theme. I will not complain that this one is too dark instead, before I have tried it for a while :wink:

1 Like

Huge white space? Or does it format completely different on a desktop computer?

1 Like

Yeah it is totally different on a desktop, to the point I’ve changed my user agent on my desktop version of chrome.

1 Like

On my iPad, the desktop view actually has lots of wasted space on the right side, while the mobile uses the whole width.

You don’t have to switch you user agent, there’s a setting for switching from desktop to mobile or v. versa. See below.

2 Likes

Hmm, I have “Keyboard Shortcuts” instead of the “Mobile View” you have. I’d change it in a heart beat.

I believe the swap is only if you’re on a mobile device. On the desktop that options is not there.

2 Likes

To do list:

1. Topic Rating Plugin Integration
  2. Second Post Wiki Plugin
  3. CSS adjustment to reduce white space
  4. Tables

I hope to address all of these in the next week or two. Thanks for the patience everyone.

7 Likes

Items one and two are happening tomorrow morning!

2 Likes

what’s the impact of this? Does it mean first post is no longer wiki, or both first and second are wiki?