Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

"The study, one of the first to focus exclusively on people who never needed to be hospitalized when they were infected, analyzed electronic medical records of 1,407 people in California who tested positive for the coronavirus. More than 60 days after their infection, 27 percent, or 382 people, were struggling with post-Covid symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain, cough or abdominal pain.

Nearly a third of the patients with such long-term problems had not had any symptoms from their initial coronavirus infection through the 10 days after they tested positive, the researchers found."

1 Like

They werent lying when they said the newly approved “stimulus” checks could go out as early as this weekend. My $1400 already shows as pending in my account, although with a 3/17 transaction date. So it might be a few more days before it’s available.

5 Likes

Same here. I was surprised it moved this quickly.

Quick move… 3/17 & showing pending. What bank do you use? I doubt my bank will show until 3/17… :face_with_thermometer:

Wouldn’t ya’ know, it’s being deposited at Allaint of all places…

1 Like

And DON’T ANYONE EVER SAY the government can’t get things done quickly! :smile:

2 Likes

$10,200 of 2020 unemployment payments are now exempt from taxes. With no 2020 tax forms or tax programs able to account for this, and over 50 million returns already filed.

What a mess this will bring, since reducing your income $10k increases elegibility for EIC, ACA subsidies, etc, etc.

Although this article refers to it as the tax being “waived” - which could mean it wont reduce your AGI, and instead be treated more like qualified dividends and is only backed out of the tax due calculation.

Looks like the $10,200 is being crammed onto Schedule 1 line 8 “Other income” as a negative number. Which gives you an extra $10k leeway for qualifying for various other credits, etc that are based on AGI.

No pending monies in my Wells Fargo Bank account.

I need to change my refund bank to Alliant for tax purposes. Seems you guys already show pending stimulus payment.

Just knowing ahead of time will help if a person wanting to start an early ACH transfer. At least one extra day. Even when I expect some payment on the 1st of the month, I never wish to take a chance of scheduling the ACH transfer until I see the money deposited.

1 Like

I shall bow deeply to show thanks but decline politely any offer of the AZ vaccine:

Norway Reports Three Blood Clot Cases After AstraZeneca Shot

And Norway is not the only place this has happened.

I’m still sticking with the J&J vaccine should it ever become available where I live.

3 Likes

Good luck if you live there:

Biden limits supply of Eli Lilly’s COVID-19 antibody therapy in three western states

3 Likes

Per that Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet, MAGI includes the UI compensation (which goes on Schedule 1 Line 7). So if a unicorn MFJ couple’s MAGI is $150,000, of which $20K came from UI (let’s say $10K each), then earning that last $1 resulted in a $4400 federal income tax liability (or… those who didn’t earn that last $1 got a $4400 gift). That’s insane.

1 Like

Sure, when there’s an income limit there’s always some sort of a cliff. I find it hard to feel much pity for anyone with $150k income.

I think more about those “essential” workers, who have kept going to work at grocery stores and fast food and factories, earning less than what a lot of people have recevied from unemployment over the same period. All those people are getting nothing as well - and they were already worse off than those who are benefiting from this targeted exclusion, simply because they chose to keep showing up to work.

4 Likes

I agree that 150K should be enough for anybody, and unemployment mostly affected people who don’t earn this much. But that’s not really my point. It’s not just a cliff, it’s more like a ledge with giant spikes below. I don’t think I’ve come across anything so dramatic on my tax return, everything else is a ladder – you simply get less of the next dollar earned, you don’t lose that extra dollar and the 4399 that came before it.

1 Like

There’s been such a cliff on ACA subsidies all along. Hit 400% FPL, and subsidies suddenly go poof. Just this year for me, a couple hundred dollars additional earnings (well, before the relief bill passed) would’ve had a $4500 difference in what I owed.

3 Likes

Agreed. And that is not the way things ought to be.

Patience, grasshopper. You’re very young. Just wait until it comes time for you to confront the dreaded IRMAA.

This sort of “cliff taxation” (to steal from scripta) is odious regardless where in tax law you encounter it. I tried really hard last year to stay clear of an IRMAA cliff. I thought I had a cushion of several thousand dollars, just in case.

It now appears I miscalculated/underestimated, and it’s looking as if that foul up is gonna really cost me. Sure I expect to pay more if I have higher income. But when going over by just a dollar can cost you thousands . . well . . something is very wrong.

1 Like

From the AP, timestamped several minutes ago:

In the U.S., which relies on the Pfizer, Moderna and J&J vaccines, AstraZeneca is expected to apply any day now for authorization.

Uh, pass.

2 Likes

At least not until this is resolved:

3 Likes

Exactly right

Look, we have no less than three viable, proven alternatives and one which is currently beneath a cloud.

Why would I risk my health when there are three other paths I can take which do not threaten such a risk?

I’m not saying the AZ vaccine causes clots. There is no way whatsoever for me to know that. And maybe if AZ were the only game in town, MAYBE I would consider it.

But it’s not.

1 Like