Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Except for, to quote liberal media in similar circumstances, his SUPERSPREADER event. :smile:

1 Like

My post relates to gain of function research, not any virus in particular. However, it is arguable that gain of function research, farmed out by Fauci to Wuhan, led to COVID-19.

With the release of the Fauci emails, Fauci’s early, vigorous support for gain of function research became known. By “early” I mean during Obama’s first term.

But President Obama and those within his administration, back at that time, imposed strictures on Fauci in order to protect us, in order to protect Americans and people all around the world.

But after 2016, with Obama gone, Fauci once again was able to pursue his gain of function nightmare research on his own terms. In my opinion, it did not work out. And Fauci, likely with the blood of millions of people on his hands in addition to unimaginable suffering, has never accepted responsibility!

2 Likes

My apologies. I am now reminded of my wife telling me to quit being so literal. She thanks you immensely. :smile:

I bet we see this case again once the guy dies. Even the proponents of ivermectin don’t think it helps with late stage covid.

1 Like

It’s a bad idea to mix ideology with matters of science and health…

2 Likes

Indeed. Speaking of which, several senior FDA vaccine officials are leaving shortly, and the word is they were unhappy among other things with Biden’s telling everyone to get boosters ahead of an actual FDA review of the scientific evidence.

I guess we won’t be seeing any NYT headlines ala this Trump era one decrying the FDA’s lack of independence under Biden and how this will impact the public’s perception of the safety and sanctity of the vaccine review process.

1 Like

Maybe they no longer have four reporters capable of m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶u̶p̶ writing such an in-depth treatise. :slight_smile:
OTOH, if they find the reporters, I’ve got their headline …

How the FDA Bent Over for the President

Yes it is. He died following what he believed to be best. His dad did the same thing and survived. Thanks for linking to a thorough article. He was more than a decent guy, and a big loss to his community. His family has a long road ahead. I’m glad their GoFundMe is, so far, doing okay.

1 Like

Anecdote:

My boss: Early 60s, has had heart surgery, is overweight - vaccinated
His daughter: Early 30s, healthy - unvaccinated
His son-in-law (daugher’s husband): Early 30s, drives a delivery truck and does the physical deliveries, very healthy and fit - unvaccinated
His granddaughter: 2 years old

Family was together a few Sundays ago. Son-in-law wasn’t feeling 100% but nothing serious. Next day, feeling worse, decided to get tested, tested positive. Got much worse. A week later, suffering from pneumonia, but not bad enough that the hospital admitted him. Daughter got sick a few days after her husband, also positive, classic covid symptoms, but didn’t get as bad as her husband. Both are still sick, but getting better slowly. Granddaughter is fine.

My boss, as soon as he found out about his son-in-law’s positive test, told me, left work, bought a home test for him and his wife, and had a test done at an urgent care. Both tests negative. Stayed home for the next 4 days. Started feeling bad, took another home test - positive. Went to urgent care for a test - positive. A day later, classic covid symptoms, but more mild than his daughter and WAY more mild than his son-in-law. His wife (also vaccinated), most mild symptoms of everyone in the family.

My opinion based on everything I’ve heard from experts and experiences with people I know: Everyone is going to get this thing. Most people are going to survive. Some might not even notice they ever had it. But it you are over 16 and want to increase your chances of survival and make the sickness less mild while you’re sick, get vaccinated. Under 16, it’s hard to see much of a point for vaccination since they are barely going to even have symptoms as bad as the flu. But there doesn’t seem to be much downside to a vaccine for them either, so might as well get it just in case. I think when it is approved for our 5 year old, he’ll probably get the vaccine. I’m gonna be pissed if he still has to wear a mask in pre-school after he’s vaccinated though.

2 Likes

Judge takes it upon himself to stop a mom’s visitation rights with her child because she is not vaccinated. The dad was not even requesting this in the hearing.

I’m really glad I’m not a police officer right now. I’m seeing the executive and judicial branches issuing more and more orders that I would have a very hard time enforcing.

3 Likes

Long covid summary of papers and such

1 Like

Vaccination demographics. The Hawaiians and American Indians are the laggards.

Mu declared VOI

The Mu strain of COVID-19 has been declared a variant of interest by the WHO. It originated in Columbia. There are already at least several hundred cases here in the USA.

New ‘mu’ coronavirus variant could escape vaccine-induced immunity

I wonder how closely that Race/Ethnicity table tracks with SAT scores… or income… :open_mouth: :wink:

1 Like

Are any of the vaccinated immune to any variant, or for that matter, the original Wuhan flu?

An education PhD and startup founder suggested there could be developmental harm to kids for schooling in masks. He posed, in his Forbes column,

https://archive.ph/9MeFZ

“But we must ask ourselves: do the benefits of masks and social distancing truly outweigh the long-term psychological, physical, social, and academic harm we are inflicting on a whole generation of American schoolchildren? If we care about equity and the most vulnerable members of our society, we at least can’t be afraid to ask.”

I have no informed opinion on this, but Forbes apparently is “afraid to ask”. They deleted his article (hence the archive link above) and now list Mr Ringelstein as a “former contributor”.

3 Likes

This is an example of the leftist media just throwing something into their reporting without backing it up at all that is demonstrably false. Name a political leader that is recommending people take ivermectin without getting it prescribed by a doctor.

2 Likes

Well, when there’s as much data that it can help, what do you expect when this is the only access to it?

The drug is not dangerous, the politics demanding it not be used is what’s dangerous.

2 Likes

Oh the CDC says you should take it, and it’s nearly completely safe in normal doses, just they won’t tell you to take it for covid. For example, the refugees we’re importing from Afghanistan or elsewhere are supposed to get some per CDC guidance for their probable parasite infections.

Personally, I’m guessing the reason our Democratic politicians are so rabidly anti-ivermectin is because they’re parasites and if given widely and successfully for covid might clear the minds of their hosts, er, voters :wink:

2 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/florida-official-wants-gov-ron-desantis-to-make-the-controversial-and-unproven-covid-19-treatment-ivermectin-more-widely-available/ar-AAO6d22?li=BBnb7Kz

“When a citizen is facing a potentially life-threatening case of COVID-19, he or she should receive the ‘right to try’ potentially life-saving therapeutics.”

…as opposed to being told that a drug that has been safely prescribed for decades is suddenly “too dangerous”. Like Xerty says, the biggest danger of such drugs is the possibility they may end up helping.

Note the bullet points:

• Ivermectin is a drug typically used to treat parasitic infections in livestock like horses.

Of course, just omit the fact it is also approved for and often used on humans for various conditions, and has been for decades. That is some super-responsible journalism right there, that is in no way pushing a pre-chosen narrative at all…

Maybe they should also mention how current refugees from Afghanistan are being given ivermectin as we speak? Not because of covid, but because it is not “horse dewormer”.

3 Likes