Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

The same was said in the old country about Pfizer, Moderna and Astra-Zeneca. There are nuts and evildoers on all ends of the spectrum.

You don’t have a thing to worry about. The mainstream media fact checkers will be all over this, multiple times a day, for weeks on end.

Additionally, you can bet facebook, insta-whatever, and twitter are disabling all of the accounts that are posting this drivel. Since those false reports could affect the health of many people, it’s their responsibility … or so some have squawked.

Yes, the CDC speaks again, about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine. They also speak fire and brimstone to the covid (variant of the day) … and I thought the sky-is-falling weather worriers were a religious bunch.

I’m not exactly happy to risk my life on judging the govt to not have my best interest at heart/wallet, but I can’t imagine the pain that thinking parents are putting themselves through. They’re responsible for making the right decision, and what a tough call to make.

1 Like

The only group the CDC advised some caution for in administering second doses was young men who’ve had myocarditis after their first vaccine dose. They may want to defer a second dose, or discuss the situation with their doctor first.

“If the vaccine gave your kid heart problems you might not want to give your kid a second dose.”

ya-think-ווופ-memegenerator-net-ya-think-nick-cage-52873393

From a guy who thinks an awful lot about government and power structures. Covid as an institutional failing (if it escaped) or at least a big risk that Obama’s short-lived pandemic-creating research ban failed to reign in.

It is certainly necessary to have institutions of knowledge, but these institutions must be subordinate to powers outside and above them. This is true for both religion and science.

For an example of this principle, look no farther than Covid. There was no power outside and above virology that could say to virology: Wow, I see you want to go out and collect bat viruses and tinker with them so they can infect humans. And the goal of this research is to make these crossover viruses intentionally, to… predict they might evolve accidentally? And what would we do with this prediction, anyway? Exterminate all the bats? No? Okay… guys, really sorry

The consequence of this sanity filter is that crazy ideas are no longer dominant… Obviously, in a monarchy, this filter is an extension of executive power. In an oligarchy, there is no executive power, leaving no one who can say no to the virologists. Virologists and other scientists are delicate creatures and should not be exposed to the temptations of sovereignty.

Here’s looking at you Tony.

3 Likes

Half of covid hospitalizations appear not to be serious, or at least not due to a serious case of covid.

if you’ve got mild covid and need to go to the hospital for an accident or unrelated health issue, you’re counted too.

4 Likes

I’m still trying to understand how hospitals are full and desperate when hospitalizations are a fraction (about 60%) of last January and trending downward…

2 Likes

More covid patients in ICU and on ventilators.

Take high amount of resources.

Trend locally is slightly down from a few weeks ago but still pretty crazy high. Still 350 ICU and over 200 covid on ventilators in my city.

Children’s hospitals especially are also overburdened (even though the raw numbers are lower, there was less capacity to begin with), and each child patient take up even more resources (partly because the survivability value is higher per patient)

1 Like

A quick reminder that zinc deficiency interferes with lots of aspects of immunity, including antibodies, and is necessary for proper function of most immune cells. It also has various anti-viral properties generally, such as impeding viral entry, replication, and distribution within your body.

The RDA for zinc is 8mg daily for women and 11mg for men.

Of course you get some zinc from your diet, so this full amount may not be necessary, but apparently some 10-20% of people are zinc deficient, something more common in older people.

I noticed that my multivitamin does not include any zinc, while those targeted to the elderly (Centrum Silver, or similar) do often include some 11-15mg of zinc.

4 Likes

Which one is that? All the Centrum and One-A-Day I checked have some Zinc (the “for men” ones have 11mg, more for “silver” or “50+”).

oysters are an excellent source of zinc. A typical 3 ounce serving has over six times the adult RDA. I buy canned oysters from Walmart and I have a couple of them every day with crackers. I like the taste. Canned oysters are a lot safer than raw oysters.

Edit: no other food comes close to oysters. The first column is mg per serving, the last column is percent RDA

Oysters, cooked, breaded and fried, 3 ounces 74.0 673
Beef chuck roast, braised, 3 ounces 7.0 64
Crab, Alaska king, cooked, 3 ounces 6.5 59
Beef patty, broiled, 3 ounces 5.3 48
Lobster, cooked, 3 ounces 3.4 31
Pork chop, loin, cooked, 3 ounces 2.9 26
Baked beans, canned, plain or vegetarian, ½ cup 2.9 26
Breakfast cereal, fortified with 25% of the DV for zinc, 1 serving 2.8 25
Chicken, dark meat, cooked, 3 ounces 2.4 22
Pumpkin seeds, dried, 1 ounce 2.2 20
2 Likes

Except for Jews. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

ETA: [We’re not exclusive, so] … and maybe Seventh Day Adventists, WWCG’ers, etc.

Some cheap generic brand. Not getting what I didn’t pay for, apparently.

1 Like

As you can see in my post above, oysters are an excellent food. Not only do they provide zinc but other vital nutrients like vitamin B 12, selenium, and potassium. They also have a lot of protein with low fat and calories.

The dietary rule may have come about because in the past oysters and other shellfish could be contaminated. But nowadays I think canned oysters are pretty safe. Isn’t there some commission of rabbis that can change these rules?

Otherwise you will have to rely on supplements because there’s not good food sources of zinc as you can see from the table above

Just add eating pennies to your diet along with the light bulbs and bleach.

Just make sure to use the right pennies – 1982 and newer. And remember to chew through the copper coating first – stomach acid won’t eat through it.

2 Likes

That will work for some Jews, but vegetarians, vegans, Seventh Day Adventists, etc. aren’t nearly so “flexible”. :smile:

I take your point, though, and have been eating Costco’s Centrum Silver knockoff for a couple of decades. That, along with some extra “D” during the winter months lets me sleep at night. :laughing:

Just make sure to use the right pennies – 1982 and newer. And remember to chew through the copper coating first – stomach acid won’t eat through it.

Probably will eventually… just not on the first pass.

2 Likes

I too have noticed that not all multivitamins are equal. “Does it have zinc and what does it cost?” are literally my only concerns when picking which multivitamin to buy. I started taking a daily multivitamin with zinc about 3 years ago and noticed I get sick less often each year and when I do get a cold, it seems to last for a shorter time. I wish someone would have pushed me to take a multi-vitamin with zinc sooner in my life.

5 Likes

Zinc, something else to make a difference in one’s diet.

I actually don’t believe I belong to any one of these groups mentioned above so oysters are a nice addition to my dinner meal.

We used to do a lot of ocean fishing along the Oregon coast. Fresh oysters are a delicacy in coastal restaurants, although we never picked them, we did enjoy a meal.

Mentioned above also, the idea of canned oysters being quite safe to eat goes along my thinking. One of the favorites in our household is oyster stew. Alongside the additional zinc is a treat for the evening meal, “homemade oyster stew”. :blush:

1 Like