Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

I went over there and searched. Am unable to find any post so flagged; not a single one. Have no clue what is going on. Why do people do this? Everyone knows the entire intent of that thread is to support vigorous, open, argument, with persons on both sides of the issues having their say.

If you want to disagree over there, regardless your views, I support your right to post whatever you wish and I encourage such posts. But please do not close the thread down by flagging the posts of others. That is the lazy way to display your disapproval. Have the courage to elucidate your displeasure by posting so everyone will know what it is.

And finally, if you are unable to tolerate views which are not congruent with your own, please, please do not view the politics thread. Just stay away. Thank you.

2 Likes

I too was reading the most recent posts while it was already locked and did not see anything. Were any posts flagged by multiple people? I could see that causing an automatic removal of the post (explaining why we can’t see it) and a lock.

I only flag posts that violate forum rules. Usually they contain a direct attack of a forum user. Sometimes spam. Other times when I think it contains something illegal. But I haven’t flagged anything recently.

1 Like

I have never flagged anyone. My opinion is “if you don’t like something posted” make a reply to that individual. That’s it!! Why do you need to complain to the “principal”?

This community was created by a small group of individuals. They created a set of rules. Everybody who signed up and continues to participate agrees to follow those rules.

This community is also self-moderated, which means each one of us is responsible for keeping it civil and to monitor and prevent any rule-breaking.

You are not required to flag anyone and your opinion about replying to that individual is just fine. My opinion is that if we continue allowing people (or robots?) to break the rules, this community would quickly go downhill. So I flag the rule breakers to keep the discussion civil and to discourage further rule-breaking.

You wouldn’t want spammers to take over the content of this site, would you? Would you want anyone on here to get in trouble with the law for promoting or following some illegal scheme? Those are just examples of why moderation and “complaining to the principal” is necessary.

Do we have the law watching this site & if so then I might just quit. Not that I have ever been arrested. Maybe in my whole life I have a couple speeding or parking tickets.

& you talk about spammers & robots. Unbelievable IMO… Guess I’m just to gullible. Time to get out of here. If I’m responsible to monitor & turn folks in for their opinion. I don’t belong here. Not my cup of tea.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Things are really bad in the UK. They currently have the highest per capita COVID-19 death rate in the world. By comparison with the UK and a bunch of other European countries, the USA is in much better shape, as you can see here:

UK now has highest Covid death rate in the world

That wasn’t supposed to be published until after tomorrow. :wink:

5 Likes

This website is public, anybody can read it. Anybody can create an account to post. The govt is probably “watching” (and making a copy of) everything they can on the internet. They’re probably not “watching” us like they should be watching the militant sites, because we keep everything above the board here.

Just because you don’t understand what I’m talking about does not make it unbelievable. I know you are not a spammer or a robot, and I didn’t call any of our current users spammers or robots. But we did have a few spammers posting threads in hot deals some time ago.

1 Like

mumbles ‘kill all humans…’

1 Like

It’s not “in much better shape”. It’s in just about as terrible shape as the other places on the chart… and that’s only looking at the current rate, not the cumulative totals where we’re at the bottom of the barrel.

Yes, the more contageous variant prevalent in the UK is not yet prevalent here…

Upper quintile of reported mask usage actually pulls R to ~1…

Lots of nice charts in this presentation. Current stats early on, some model forecasts towards the end.

US estimates 20-25% already had the virus, models predicting peak in Feb, reaching herd immunity by May via vaccine.

1 Like

It says “some states may be close to herd immunity”. Not the whole country. They expect 141 million people vaccinated by May 1, which is less than half of the population and probably not enough for herd immunity.

That’s the plan to infect the other 60% with pre existing conditions ASAP. We’d be well past 1M deaths by then if President Covid’s coup has been successful.

(And to ignore that the SAfrica variant already does not respond to antibodies from the others… meaning “recovery” doesn’t protect, only the vaccine which still looks effective for it)
Edit:TBD effectiveness of vaccines against the SAfrica strain.

Intentionally infecting more people is just intentionally increasing odds of a nasty mutation.

Yes, that’s 40-45% of the population but if you throw in another 20-25% who’ve already had it from their estimates, that gets you to 60-80% and that’s without additional spread / infection over the next 3-4 months. If we need something like 70-80% for herd immunity, we could very well get there by then.

1 Like

But I thought, you’ll develop, you’ll develop herd, like a herd mentality?

Yeah that’s not how it works, as the groups of people who may have had it and those who’ll be getting the vaccine are not mutually exclusive.

That makes sense, but why would someone who’s had it get the vaccine … unless the effects were so mild / nonexistent that they didn’t know they had it. But wasn’t that a small percentage?

Ok, that’s true, and they are recommending people who know they had the virus still get the vaccine. There are some vaccines where immune memory is much better from the vaccine than from actually getting the virus, but those are fairly different viruses and I’m not sure I buy the biological argument that it would be the case with covid. Nearly everyone who has a bad case of covid has a very strong immune response.

Still, if we vaccinate 40% of the population and it’s the most at risk 40% of the population, we should be able to prevent nearly all the deaths since the oldest half the population currently is something like 95% of deaths…