Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

I suppose that is a better descriptor than just “sick and/or old.” Even if all people with defective immune systems would fall into a sick and/or old category, the vast majority of sick and/or old people are protected by the vaccine.

3 Likes

Naw, it’s proven safe. How dare I claim the warning label is still being written…

1 Like

India variant showing higher risks, not just higher transmission

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

Risk of COVID-19 hospital admission was approximately doubled in those with the Delta VOC when compared to the Alpha VOC, with risk of admission particularly increased in those with five or more relevant comorbidities. Both the Oxford–AstraZeneca and Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines were effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 hospitalisation in people with the Delta VOC, but these effects on infection appeared to be diminished when compared to those with the Alpha VOC. We had insufficient numbers of hospital admissions to compare between vaccines in this respect. The Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine appeared less effective than the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection in those with the Delta VOC.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/it-isnt-over-for-us-for-those-with-weakened-immune-systems-covid-19-vaccines-dont-mean-the-end-of-the-pandemic/ar-AALuJMf?li=BBnb7Kz

Finally an article that calls out the fallacy of drawing the safety line at “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated”.

Until results from clinical trials are in, Dr. Dorry Segev at Johns Hopkins Medical Center tells his transplant patients to “get vaccinated, act unvaccinated.”

They should take all the precautions the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for people with no protection, such as continuing to wear masks and socially distance, he said.

When the CDC last month abruptly lifted its mask recommendations for vaccinated people, Segev said, “the world quickly got less safe for immunosuppressed people.” It’s now far more frightening for transplant recipients to do something as simple as grocery shopping, because they don’t know which unmasked person near them is actually safe.

Argue masks, etc should remain for everyone, if you must. But giving a free pass on restrictions just because you got a shot is counterproductive - that is, if the goal really is to protect the vulnerable, and not just to punish those who arent following orders. If you are one of the vulnerable, an unvaccinated person poses no more of a potential threat to you than any vaccinated person, and you need to remain prudent about all contact regardless of anyone else’s vaccination status.

" Based on CCTV footage, health officials suspect it has been transmitted in “scarily fleeting” encounters of roughly five to 10 seconds between people walking past each other in an indoor shopping area in Sydney in at least two instances."

4 Likes

Are these the same “researchers” who insisted last summer that it was far too dangerous for two bike riders to pass on a bike path? And this time they’re basing it solely on watching CCTV footage of random people in a mall?

It is possible that a person could be infected by being close to a carrier for a few seconds, if the carrier were to exhale a load of virus particles and the person just happened to breathe in at exactly the wrong moment, she said.

“What it doesn’t necessarily mean is that it’s transmitting that way all the time for everybody. It may well just be one of these really unlucky events.”

Yes, fearmongerers, we all understand that anything is possible. What I dotn understand is how picking a potential outcome then speculating on how it could potentially come to be is considered “research”.

2 Likes

To be fair, this was the goal when the vulnerable amounted to a HUGE chunk of the population - most elderly folks and lots of younger people with comorbidities. Transplant recipients are not a huge chunk of the population. They are vulnerable to catching a LOT of things from contact with strangers that aren’t a concern to most of us, not just COVID. It’s fair to conclude the costs of a mask requirement for the whole population outweigh the benefits when most people could go months, maybe years, without ever coming into close enough contact with a transplant recipient to spread COVID.

I don’t know how most transplant recipients feel personally. But if I were to try and put myself in one of their shoes, I think if I weren’t comfortable going to the grocery store because of all the unmasked people, I would rather order delivery than ask every healthy and vaccinated person in the store to wear a mask. Some folks on this board keep bringing up the selfishness of unvaccinated people. Why is it unfair to every bring up the thought that it’s also selfish for me to say, “I am sick and I want everyone else around me that I don’t know to change their lives to protect me?”

3 Likes

While I agree, we aren’t even at that point yet. At least that would show some consistency. We are at the point of encouraging some people to make decisions that put the vulnerable at risk, while chastising others for making decisions that put the vulnerable at risk - all to indulge those perceived to have done the “right” thing regardless of the effectiveness or end result.

2 Likes

You just haven’t gotten the memo on victimhood. :wink:

Wow!!! You really haven’t gotten the memo. Next you’ll be asking people to look for a job before getting unemployment benefits, or have some sort of a time limit on welfare benefits, or some other sort of terrible-ism.

1 Like

Not Happy Campers!

More than 85 people, old and younger, were struck down by COVID-19 at a summer camp:

COVID Outbreak at Illinois Summer Camp Linked to More Than 85 Cases

COVID-19 countermeasures were quite lax. Bad idea.

Yes, it happens. Nearly everyone understands it can happen. But given the (tens of?) thousands of resident camp weeks that have taken place since last May, it’s also very rare. An occasional report of an outbreak does not change this fact.

1 Like

Although a semi-accurate report, they failed to mention that 81 of the 85 had smores (created at a campfire composed of poplar and ash within 51 hours of getting infected. Rather than jump on a bandwagon, lets take a more measured approach and spend a paltry:
$12MM on studying marshamallows;
$10MM on a marshamallow/chocolate combo with heat generated by ash;
$8MM on a marshamallow/chocolate combo with heat generated by poplar;
$2.6MM on a marshamallow/chocolate combo with heat generated by a poplar/ash combo.

If none of the above yields satisfactory data, we can increase the budget, and bring in some of the WW experts, remembering to not allow deletion of data if it doesn’t fit the Chinese narrative.

1 Like

Interesting commentary on various methods and politics to control the pandemic. He mentions non-surgical mask studies that find no benefit, as well as that he personally uses an elastomeric mask that is intended to work better against aerosols.

The current situation is insane . Health authorities are not performing enough research to figure out what is and isn’t working despite spending billions of dollars on vaccine and therapeutics research (which are essentially pharma subsidies). In the case of surgical masks and ivermectin, health authorities simply ignore evidence that they find inconvenient. They are bumbling their way through a pandemic and hoping that their preferred solution (vaccines) will magically save the day. Because the mRNA vaccines are surprisingly good against the current dominant variants, there is a chance that their bumbling may sort of work. At the same time, we don’t know if vaccine effectiveness will hold because it is likely that more vaccine resistance will emerge with future variants.

The problem right now is that most health authorities are biased towards vaccines and expensive therapeutics. They aren’t particularly interested in fighting the pandemic if it doesn’t fully align with their political interests.

2 Likes

Macro market summary, with a few covid related things

3 Likes

And I loved part of his take on treatment …

There is a good chance that early treatment turns into a massive industry.

Honkinggoose, are you still on the outside?

I actually heard a report (rumor) that Covid vaccinated people are 0.0005% safe from that new India strain of which we are hearing.

So there is hope for all or mostly
all. lol

1 Like

I think they may be including people with only 1/2 PFE doses. It’s known that the vaccines don’t work as well on India variant until after you get both doses.

According to the ministry, the Pfizer vaccine’s effectiveness in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 has dropped by some 30 percent to 64%, given the spread of the Delta variant. The data shows that during May, when the strain was less prevalent, the vaccine was 94.3% effective.

PFE is reporting 90% efficacy against any symptoms in the India variant as of a week ago -

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-says-covid-vaccine-highly-effective-against-delta-variant-2021-06-24/

1 Like

Are you asking if I’ve been vaxed? If so, then no. I’m going to wait. If you’re asking a more personal question, then yes, I identify as the outside. I do not see myself as inside … not that there’s anything wrong with that. :smile:

I’m not trying to be nosy about your situation and the COVID vaccination. Your choice!

But I just heard that Biden is going to come knocking on your door and requesting you get the shot. Be prepared…lol

Yeah. Just like the Nazis, right?