Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

UK study on vaccine effectiveness by type of vaccine, time since vaccine and # of doses, prior covid status, etc. focus especially on Delta (India) vs Alpha (UK) strains in the earlier period.

We investigated the effectiveness of the vaccines in a large community-based survey of randomly selected households across the UK. We found that the effectiveness of [PFE] and [AZN] against any infections (new PCR positives) and infections with symptoms or high viral burden is reduced with the Delta variant… Effectiveness of two doses remains at least as great as protection afforded by prior natural infection… With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta.

Short version - delta is worse, but not that much worse. Surviving covid previously is similar or a bit worse protection than getting the PFE vaccine, but better than AZN.

2 Likes

Here’s a RCT on ivermectin specifically looking at how it reduced time to negative PCR test and time until there was no live virus detected in cultures.

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientist-says-covid-19-could-be-treated-for-under-1day-675612/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Nearly 72% of volunteers treated with ivermectin tested negative for the virus by day six. In contrast, only 50% of those who received the placebo tested negative.

IN ADDITION, the study looked at culture viability, meaning how infectious the patients were, and found that only 13% of ivermectin patients were infectious after six days, compared with 50% of the placebo group – almost four times as many.

“Our study shows first and foremost that ivermectin has antiviral activity,” Schwartz said. “It also shows that there is almost a 100% chance that a person will be noninfectious in four to six days, which could lead to shortening isolation time for these people. This could have a huge economic and social impact.”

The study author has some choice words for the journals, the WHO, and Merck for not wanting to hear about a cheap effective treatment due to their own agendas.

2 Likes

And the link to the actual study.

Wet markets in China, part 2. A lost paper from before the CCP publication crackdown comes to light.

https://archive.is/iNQ8t

1 Like

Coon dogs? Really? %$@& What idiots.

Where is B.B. when you need her? Well, other than when you were 14.

even the French academic establishment is part of cancel culture

The infectious disease expert is well-known for his intellect and strong opinions - and controversially advocated use of the hydroxychloroquine drug to treat Covid-19

2 Likes

Went to talk to a coworker today in her office and she put her mask on. I didn’t think of it at first but eventually asked if she wanted me to wear a mask around her. She said yes. Ugh. Two vaccinated people in our 30s and we’re back to masks.

1 Like

Maybe she lives with unvaccinated or co-morbid people. You don’t know :wink:

I resemble that. I can be pretty morbid when called for. :smile:

Maybe work with my wife? Hands off, whippersnapper. :smile:

It was her office, and yet she didn’t demand it. You offered. I understand your implied eye-roll, but isn’t that how it’s supposed to work? As opposed to everyone being so obsessed with mandating their will on everyone else?

1 Like

She’s not a stranger. Unless her living situation changed in the past couple months or she lied to me about it, no she doesn’t live with unvaccinated or co-morbid people.

But I get your point. The general rule is, when you see a masked person, you should assume they either have co-morbidities that make them high risk even with a vaccine, have regular close contact with high risk people, or are unvaccinated. But when you start to see more people masking than there are people that likely fit in those categories (and you assume that at least half of the unvaccinated aren’t masking, which is conservative), you start to realize there is a 4th category of voluntary maskers - the irrationally fearful.

That is correct. The “ugh” wasn’t because of her supposed support for mask mandates (I don’t know her position on that). The “ugh” was for her irrational fear. We are currently in a pandemic of the unvaccinated. The risk to the young healthy vaccinated is so low that I am going to be upset when I see people succumbing to that irrational fear. Not because they are out there campaigning for a mask mandate and want my kids masked in schools, but because they don’t care about mandates or the (lack of) data supporting masking kids. Her opinion may not be strong (I don’t know), but her attitude (and the attitude of a lot of people) is what got us to the point where were are changing the lives of everyone because of a few people that either 1) don’t want to change their own lives and don’t want us to change our lives for them or 2) aren’t going out in the first place.

3 Likes

Lol. Trusting cdc, caring about the community (reduced spread, less hospitals overcapacity, especially if the local area is currently) = “irrational fear”. More like there’s a big category with no “personal responsibility” to others whatsoever, and no respect for the cdc.

Others than unvaccinated are dying now as well in many areas because the medical system is overburdened.

No respect for an agency that has gotten the pandemic response completely wrong at times and does not share the data they use to back up their recommendations - are you suprised?

No, the vaccinated don’t have a responsibility to the unvaccinated now that everyone that is vulnerable (adults) has had the opportunity to be vaccinated.

If that is true, the vaccinated wearing masks doesn’t fix that.

1 Like

President Obama got it right. But President Obama is no longer our President

This is not an attack on Trump, for whom I voted. But at no point did I ever believe Trump possessed medical/biological credentials. He had other fish to fry, delegated this stuff to Fauci, and that is not unreasonable in my opinion. Trump trusted Fauci. Obama was smarter, so:

Credit where due:

President Obama took more interest, was correctly distrustful of Fauci’s thinking, and properly instituted safeguards to protect us. But when Obama was gone, Fauci was still there and he cast aside Obama’s safeguards thinking he knew better. He did NOT!!

Obama was right about gain of function. Fauci was, and he remains today, wrong!!

1 Like

Except for, to quote liberal media in similar circumstances, his SUPERSPREADER event. :smile:

1 Like

My post relates to gain of function research, not any virus in particular. However, it is arguable that gain of function research, farmed out by Fauci to Wuhan, led to COVID-19.

With the release of the Fauci emails, Fauci’s early, vigorous support for gain of function research became known. By “early” I mean during Obama’s first term.

But President Obama and those within his administration, back at that time, imposed strictures on Fauci in order to protect us, in order to protect Americans and people all around the world.

But after 2016, with Obama gone, Fauci once again was able to pursue his gain of function nightmare research on his own terms. In my opinion, it did not work out. And Fauci, likely with the blood of millions of people on his hands in addition to unimaginable suffering, has never accepted responsibility!

2 Likes

My apologies. I am now reminded of my wife telling me to quit being so literal. She thanks you immensely. :smile:

I bet we see this case again once the guy dies. Even the proponents of ivermectin don’t think it helps with late stage covid.

1 Like

It’s a bad idea to mix ideology with matters of science and health…

2 Likes