Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

I really need help here. We are going on this covid thing for 2 years. The mask up started about april/may of 2020.

So masks have been a topic of conversation for at least 20 months.
For the covid deniers n for others who cant seem to get it.

What … exactly … is so hard to grasp about how masks for covid work ?

They keep your germs close to you. Nothing less nothing more.

Yet every single day i see deniers claim masks dont work because you can still get covid with a mask on. Or we see a picture of a cold morning breath coming from around the mask with the see masks dont work comment.

Is it a mental condition ? Tho being told over n over your brain MUST build up this strawman to knock over since if you took a logical look at it for even a second even the dumbest person could understand it.

So … why ??

Do you have something I missed on this? Because I find it hard to believe. The virus spreads person to person via aerosol particles, does it not? A properly fitted N95 should prevent those (in both directions).

This may be true of “most people”, but I’m pretty sure we discussed mask effectiveness on this very board early on. And no, I’m not saying that this was promoted by the government, only that we discussed it here.

I’m not on social media, but those early articles on mask effectiveness were never hidden. There was a lot of talk about it from the start. And an almost instant shortage. I got some P100 respirators at the end of February (2020) cause everything else was already OOS or restricted, and at that point I decided it was better to have them than not (they’re still in the package). It’s not like nobody knew.

I’ll ask as well, what’s so hard to grasp? Encouraging people to sew old t-shirts into masks as a legitimate and effective option killed any credibility the mask initiative had with those you call “deniers”. Such deniers are really just realists who refuse to partake in pointless theater - and if you are pushing ineffective options, it begs the question as to why you are pushing anything at all?

Yes, the self-annointed rabblerousing individuals in society who feel so compelled to police everyone are equally to blame for forcing others to take a stand against the idiocy, are as much to blame as the the muddled, and sometimes assinine, messages coming from the “experts”. When you attack those who are coloring outside the lines, rather than simply ignoring them, you force a slew of others to take a position they otherwise wouldnt have taken. We’ve seen the same thing with the vaccine, where you either think everyone should be forced to get vaccinated or you must be an “antivaxxer”.

Play it straight from the beginning, and there would’ve been much higher buy-in all along.

4 Likes

This is classic example.

Its an actual strawman to refute the question of why do they (deniers) NEED to keep using strawmen.

I mean its fluffed up with “trigger words” to get the low information/low IQ voter all riled up. (Did you notice whose tag line i used/modified?)

It literally must be pathological.

People wearing n95 and kn95 masks are still catching it. It’s not a 100% solution. Plus, most people, at this point, are not going to go out of pocket for fancy masks and/or wear masks every minute they’re outside their home. It’s WAY too late to push masks as a way out of this. The way out is that vaccinated people get it, have a cold for 2 weeks, and move on with their lives.

I sincerely do not understand what you are trying to say here, because it sounds like you just really dont want to hear any answer to your question besides “Yeah! They’re just all idiots!”

Which would only reinforce my entire point.

1 Like

No. Maybe mentally ill ? It simply cannot be idiocy.

Masks are to keep your germs closer to you.
Why … exactly … AGAIN … do you keep implying they must perform some other feat ?

Meed18. “People wearing n95 and kn95 masks are still catching it. It’s not a 100% solution”

People who wear masks … are still catching it ?

Seriously ? …

This is why it must be pathological. I cannot wrap my head around this. I simply cannot.

Huh? Because you didn’t like the answer given, you just make stuff up to complain about instead?

What “other feat” do you think this is implying? Because it’s directly on point regarding the feat you’re claiming they perform.

You asked, I gave a pretty straightforward answer. If you don’t like that answer, that’s on you - but instead your doubling down by tossing out insults only illustrates how we got to this point and why we remain stuck here.

2 Likes

Scripta just said that masks are our way out of this and specifically said n95 masks are effective at stopping the spread in both directions. I’m just pointing out facts. We cannot get 100% of the people to wear n95 masks even if we had a national mask police force - fact #1. Putting on an n95 mask yourself is not 100% effective at stopping you from getting it yourself - fact #2. So with those two things as facts, the logic dictates that masks aren’t our way out of this.

What is pathological about that logic?

You’re also arguing it must be 100%, or it’s pointless to do at all. That really isn’t accurate either.

3 Likes

I guess that depends on scripta’s definition of “out” when he says masks are our “way out.” I am assuming his definition is zero covid. That could be a bad assumption. @scripta what is your defintion of “out?”

There is no 100% effective magic pill, literally or figuratively. But less than 100% still helps work towards that end.

In short, there’s a time and place for nearly everything we’ve tried. The problems and objections start when the time-and-place criteria is being arbitrarily made up, if not ignored altogether in favor of wide-sweeping mandates.

3 Likes

I can agree with this. I guess my point was, since the head honchos refused to tell the truth about masks, and silicon valley actively stopped people from talking about any mask-wearing in a negative light, and the media refused to do their jobs and critically look at mask claims, along with the fact that we just couldn’t acquire/produce and distribute enough “good” masks early enough, the time that that we could have masked our way out of this has surpassed us by over 1 year. The thought we could do it now is not grounded in any sort of reality about on-the-ground behavior.

2 Likes

Rand Paul censored on Youtube for talking about how mandates don’t make sense when the vaccines don’t stop the spread. Good short interview.

2 Likes

Nothing like that is ever 100%, but it’s the best we have. One person wearing a mask may not be wearing it properly and it’s less effective if everyone around them is not. If everyone wore it and wore it properly, it’d be closer to 100%.

They’re not that fancy. In fact, per-unit cost of the N95 (I looked at a bunch on Amazon today – $1-$2 MSRP, up to $4 third party) is less than cloth masks ($5-$10 and up). Of course the cloth ones are washable, but the filters are supposed to be replaced, so I wouldn’t call it fancy or expensive.

I think it’s easier to make people wear masks than to get the still-unvaccinated to vaccinate. I do have a slight ethical problem with vaccination mandates, but I have no issues whatsoever with mask mandates.

We don’t need them to be 100% effective. Just because something is not 100% doesn’t mean we should not do it. Vaccines are not even close to being 100% effective and we certainly can’t get enough people to vaccinate.

My definition of “out” is no more nCov2. Mass masking is going to work better than vaccines (because of both waning immunity and vaccine resisters), but it also needs to be combined with frequent rapid testing. It seems like production and distribution have ramped up on the at-home kits. I just got my first orders today and both Amazon and Costco have tons in stock with no practical order limits (Costco has a 25 test kits/pack with a 10-pack order limit (250 kits!) per member. N95s aren’t at the needed production level, but I don’t see why they couldn’t get there soon, especially if the government starts ordering and distributing for free to everyone.

1 Like

Where do you live? I don’t think it’s possible to do either at this point. The blue state I live in just voted for a republican governor that promised to lift the school mask mandate on day one. There are people flipping the F out that their local school boards aren’t going along with it. You think those people (many of whom are already vaccinated) are going to wear masks, let alone spend $10 bucks a week on good masks? Especially the ones already recovered from covid? Not a chance.

Not gonna happen. This doesn’t need to be the definition of out. We can live with covid, especially variants like Omicron.

1 Like

Even in NY, their courts struck down the state-wide mask mandate.

1 Like

Surgeons have been wearing surgical masks for decades.
Do we claim the masks work because they never caught a broken leg while wearing a mask ? No.

Do we say masks dont work because you can still spread covid with a mask ? We shouldnt because that was never a final solution. It was never what they were designed to do. But … ppl here … and everywhere will claim such a thing.

I look at the toothless ppl in the store in a mask mandate area wearing no masks. I see parents claiming mask wearing at school is actual torture.

There is really no hope on reaching these ppl. But id still kinda like to understand htf their brain shuts down on this thing.

No, it’s being said because that is what the damn research found.

See, now you are just being another arrogant prick bending over backwards to make sure the conflict remains as divisive as possible. No matter how much you want to rationalize your disdain for others, you are the obstacle to moving past these issues. And you are doing it intentionally. Use your own brain before accusing others of not using theirs.

2 Likes